PDA

View Full Version : 500 Millionth Download Promotion

Pages : [1] 2

KKKL
Jul 5, 2005, 08:28 AM
500 Millionth Download Promotion
Official Rules - US

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.
Promotion Description. The 500 Millionth Download Promotion (the “Promotion”) is a sweepstakes promotion in which entrants downloading songs through the iTunes Music Store (“iTunes”) will be eligible to win one (1) of 199 iPod minis (4GB model) and one (1) of 199 iTunes song code cards for redemption of fifty (50) songs from iTunes (“iPod mini/50-song card Prize”) (total approx. retail value: U.S. $248.50), or the one (1) grand prize described below (“Grand Prize”):
One (1) iTunes song code card for redemption of 10,000 songs on iTunes, and
Ten (10) iPods, models to be selected by Grand Prize winner, and
Ten (10) iTunes song code cards for redemption of fifty (50) songs from iTunes, and
A trip to see Coldplay in concert. The trip shall include the following for the Grand Prize winner and three (3) guests: 1) concert tickets to a Coldplay concert at a date and location within Apple’s discretion, however, Apple will work with the Grand Prize winner to find a convenient date and location, 2) round trip coach class air transportation from a major airport nearest to the Grand Prize winner’s residence to the location of the concert (Apple reserves the right to substitute ground transportation for air transportation if the Grand Prize winner resides within 200 miles of the concert location), and 3) hotel accommodations for two (2) nights (two rooms, double occupancy, room and tax only; meals, telephone calls and other incidentals not included). All trip expenses not listed above are the responsibility of the Grand Prize winner and his or her guests. If the Grand Prize winner is under the age of 18, he or she must be accompanied by a legal custodian, and any guests of the Grand Prize winner under the age of 18 must also be accompanied by a legal custodian. The Grand Prize winner and all guests must have valid travel documents (e.g., valid passport, visa, photo identification, etc.) prior to departure. (Total approx. retail value of Grand Prize: U.S. $15,385 to $18,385).
One (1) iPod mini/50-song card Prize will be awarded for each 100,000th song downloaded beginning with the 480,100,000th download until iTunes reaches its 500 millionth download. For the 500 millionth download, one lucky winner will win the Grand Prize.
How To Enter. You will automatically be entered into the Promotion by: 1) downloading a song from iTunes (any free downloads will be deemed an ineligible entry); or 2) a free alternative means of sending an e-mail to Apple at itunes500@apple.com via the iTunes “Tell a Friend” feature (a song download or Tell a Friend e-mail will be deemed an “Entry(ies)”). The “Tell a Friend” feature can be easily accessed at iTunes by selecting a song, and clicking the “Tell a Friend” link that is displayed for that song. One Entry will be automatically submitted for each song downloaded or Tell a Friend e-mail sent. The Promotion begins following the downloading of the 480,000,000th iTunes song, and ends with the downloading of the 500 millionth Entry (“End Date”). Only Entries submitted in this time period will be accepted.
Eligibility. In order to be eligible, entrants must be 13 years of age or older, and a legal resident of one of the 50 United States, including Washington, D.C., Austria, Belgium, Canada (excluding the Province of Quebec), Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland or the United Kingdom. Entrants must enter the Promotion through the iTunes Music Store accessible in your country of residence. There is one Promotion, and the Rules in your country of residence govern your participation in the Promotion. Entrants under 18 should obtain a parent’s or guardian’s consent before participating. Entries are limited to individual consumers only; commercial enterprises and business entities are not eligible. Directors, officers, employees, contractors and agents of Apple, its subsidiaries, affiliates, resellers, or advertising or promotional agencies and members of their immediate families (defined as children, parents, siblings or spouses) are not eligible to participate in the Promotion. To participate, entrants must: 1) have a computer with iTunes software installed (iTunes software is available for free at: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/), 2) have Internet access; and 3) submit an Entry.
Tell a Friend E-mail Entries. The authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter will be deemed to be the entrant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the address. Potential winners may be required to show proof that they are the authorized account holder or the entrant. The use of any automated launching or entry software or any other mechanical or electronic means that permits the entrant to automatically enter repeatedly is prohibited. Mechanically generated entries will be discarded and may result in total and permanent disqualification from the Promotion.
How You Win. Winners will be determined by the order of the Entries received. One (1) iPod mini/50-song card Prize will be awarded for each Entry sent immediately following the 480,099,999th song downloaded, until iTunes reaches its 500 millionth Entry (i.e., one (1) iPod mini/50-song card Prize will be given away for the 480,100,000th Entry, 480,200,000th Entry, ... 499,900,000th Entry). For the 500 millionth Entry, the winner will receive the Grand Prize. In the event that more than one entrant would be a winner based on the simultaneous timing of entries, one entrant will be randomly selected from those entrants as the winner. Each entrant’s chances of winning are dependent upon the number of Entries received and the timing of Entries. Each entrant is eligible to win only one (1) iPod mini/50-song card Prize or one (1) Grand Prize.

iGary
Jul 5, 2005, 08:33 AM
Lame Grand Prize.

asif786
Jul 5, 2005, 08:33 AM
yep, and the official press release here:

Apple Kicks Off iTunes Music Store Countdown to Half a Billion Songs
Live 8 Performances Now Available on iTunes
CUPERTINO, California—July 5, 2005—Apple® today kicked off its countdown to half a billion songs sold on the iTunes® Music Store with an online song counter so music fans around the world can participate in the race to purchase and download the 500 millionth song. As part of the countdown, Apple is giving away an iPod® mini and an iTunes gift card for 50 songs to the iTunes customer who purchases the winning song at each 100,000 interval. The person who downloads the 500 millionth song will win the grand prize—10 iPods of their choice to share with family and friends, an iTunes gift card for 10,000 songs and an all-expenses paid trip for four to see Coldplay on their world tour.

Apple today also announced the availability of “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” and “The Long and Winding Road” on the iTunes Music Store. Both songs were recorded live at this past weekend’s Live 8 benefit concerts featuring U2 and Sir Paul McCartney. Proceeds from the sales of these one-time-only performances will benefit debt relief in Africa.

“As we prepare to cross this major milestone of half a billion songs, we want to thank our customers, the artists and the music labels who have helped make iTunes a global success,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s vice president of applications. “iTunes continues to be the world’s number one online music store featuring the world’s best digital music including special performances such as the Live 8 concerts.”

With Apple’s legendary ease of use, pioneering features such as integrated Podcasting support, iMix playlist sharing, seamless integration with iPod and groundbreaking personal use rights, the iTunes Music Store is the best way for Mac® and PC users to legally discover, purchase and download music online. The iTunes Music Store features more than 1.5 million songs from the major music companies and over 1,000 independent record labels, 10,000 audiobooks, gift certificates and exclusive music not found anywhere else online.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning desktop and notebook computers, OS X operating system, and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital music revolution with its iPod portable music players and iTunes online music store.

Cool prizes. Especially the coldplay tickets :)

qzak
Jul 5, 2005, 08:43 AM
damn, they're really moving those mini's out aren't they. get a free one when u buy a mac for students, and giving away 199 of 'em in this contest.

the grand prize is nice i think, eh i don't know about seeing Coldplay (i like them, but i think one of their concerts would just make me wanna fall asleep), but 10 iPods of your choice and 10,000 songs is not too shabby, plus another 500 to keep or give away

iGary
Jul 5, 2005, 08:47 AM
17" PowerBook would have been a better grand prize.

Of course if I win and get to talk to Steve, I'd probably care less about the PowerBook. :p

feakbeak
Jul 5, 2005, 08:50 AM
17" PowerBook would have been a better grand prize.

Of course if I win and get to talk to Steve, I'd probably care less about the PowerBook. :pYou get 10 iPods of your choice. Choose 10 60 GB iPods and then eBay'em and buy yourself a Powerbook. You could even keep one for yourself. :)

qzak
Jul 5, 2005, 09:01 AM
You get 10 iPods of your choice. Choose 10 60 GB iPods and then eBay'em and buy yourself a Powerbook. You could even keep one for yourself. :)

yup, plus giving away iPods work alot better in a promotion for iTunes than a Powerbook, especially for those people who completely ignore Apple's computer side of their business.

BornAgainMac
Jul 5, 2005, 09:10 AM
Ebay the iPods would be a easy way to get any Mac you want. And you can talk to Steve. Any chance of a widget to help track the countdown to increase your odds in winning?

asif786
Jul 5, 2005, 09:11 AM
Ebay the iPods would be a easy way to get any Mac you want. And you can talk to Steve. Any chance of a widget to help track the countdown to increase your odds in winning?

i wish i could make this widget myself, but i cant. i'm sure one handsome looking widget will be out soon enough.

runninmac
Jul 5, 2005, 09:19 AM
yup, plus giving away iPods work alot better in a promotion for iTunes than a Powerbook, especially for those people who completely ignore Apple's computer side of their business.

Yeah but do normal people typicly(sp?) read/get excited about this type of promotion?

fracai
Jul 5, 2005, 09:22 AM
who's gonna make the widget? the first link should be all you need, the second has some examples right from the source. :)

http://www.apple.com/itunes/external_counter.xml
http://wdirect.apple.com/itunes/500million/counter500million.js

qzak
Jul 5, 2005, 09:23 AM
Yeah but do normal people typicly(sp?) read/get excited about this type of promotion?

anyone buying music from iTunes will i'm sure, won't they have it bannered around the music store?

but still, iTunes markets better alongside iPods than Powerbooks.

mac-er
Jul 5, 2005, 09:25 AM
100 Million grand prize was much better...
Would rather have a Powerbook than a trip to Coldplay.

Sure, I like Coldplay, but that is something that happens once and is over with...plus, they don't give you (a)backstage passes/meet-and-greet, (b)dinner or food expenses

The Powerbook prize would "last" much longer.

But, I guess you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth....they don't have to give out anything. :)

qzak
Jul 5, 2005, 09:30 AM
yeah, i was suprised no backstage/meet and greet passes.

abrooks
Jul 5, 2005, 09:30 AM

Looks like the counter is just throwing out numbers at a set increment, seems to have no relation to the number being bought at all.

feakbeak
Jul 5, 2005, 09:33 AM
100 Million grand prize was much better...
Would rather have a Powerbook than a trip to Coldplay.

Sure, I like Coldplay, but that is something that happens once and is over with...plus, they don't give you (a)backstage passes/meet-and-greet, (b)dinner or food expenses

The Powerbook prize would "last" much longer.

But, I guess you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth....they don't have to give out anything. :)Although most of us here on MR would probably rather have a shiny new Mac I'm sure Apple's intent with the prizes was to keep them related to music.

AliensAreFuzzy
Jul 5, 2005, 09:38 AM
I'm excited. I've got to go out and get some more iTunes cards to buy music. 10 iPods, what to do...

Tulse
Jul 5, 2005, 09:50 AM
yeah, i was suprised no backstage/meet and greet passes.

On the webpage, in the main text (not the rules), it says
a trip for you and three guests to see Coldplay on its current tour, with front-row seats (subject to availability), and “back-stage” passes for a meet n’ greet with the band (guaranteed availability).

SiliconAddict
Jul 5, 2005, 09:51 AM
Lame Grand Prize.

++ Can you say unoriginal?

I mean how about free iPod updates for the next 5 generations?
Or how about iTunes for life? All you can eat.

howard
Jul 5, 2005, 09:59 AM
we need those really rockin graphs they had up on the last promo. those were great

sinisterdesign
Jul 5, 2005, 10:00 AM
i dig the grand prize. keep one or two of the iPods (it would be a nice collector's item) and ebay the rest. i feel CERTAIN that they will be engraved w/ some "500Mth" iTunes song of some sort on the back, so i'm sure they would go for a premium on ebay.

but the 10k songs on itms?? SWEEET. i would run out of stuff i wanted to buy that's currently in the store, but you'd know that you could get any new release that you wanted as soon as it came out.

and as for the coldplay tix, i like them alright, but i know a few women that would go ape$#!+ to get front row tix & back stage passes. worth winning right there... ;)

iAlan
Jul 5, 2005, 10:04 AM
I guess I can't join in (see location in signature)

pmcaleer
Jul 5, 2005, 10:12 AM
(UPDATE: The URL now works, as of 4:30pm EDT... interesting....)

So here's something interesting. I read about this story at MacMinute after seeing it here. There's a link that is supposedly to the press release, and that link is to this URL:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jul/05itms_beatles.html

Look at that again. iTMS. Beatles. Beatles? It's possible that this simply refers to the Live 8 performance of "Sgt. Pepper"... but the correct press release URL includes "live8" in the page name instead of "beatles".

The page gives out a 404. I wonder if MacMinute inadvertently jumped the gun on something. It'd be strange for them to simply fabricate a faulty URL.

Let the speculation begin.

ethernet76
Jul 5, 2005, 10:13 AM

They never say when you have to choose your iPods. There are also no prize must be redeemed by so-and-so-date rules.

Maybe you could get iPod updates for the next 10 generations.

Lollypop
Jul 5, 2005, 10:18 AM
join the club iAlan, there are still a lot of people that cant buy from the iTMS! I wish apple would get to a few other countries, there is a lot of songs that im dying to bye!!! :D :D

coolfactor
Jul 5, 2005, 10:19 AM
Looks like the counter is just throwing out numbers at a set increment, seems to have no relation to the number being bought at all.

Every minute, it grabs the latest download count, but in between it simply counts down based on the average rate of downloading. This is to avoid overloading the server, I guess.

asif786
Jul 5, 2005, 10:20 AM
So here's something interesting. I read about this story at MacMinute after seeing it here. There's a link that is supposedly to the press release, and that link is to this URL:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jul/05itms_beatles.html

Look at that again. iTMS. Beatles. Beatles? It's possible that this simply refers to the Live 8 performance of "Sgt. Pepper"... but the correct press release URL includes "live8" in the page name instead of "beatles".

The page gives out a 404. I wonder if MacMinute inadvertently jumped the gun on something. It'd be strange for them to simply fabricate a faulty URL.

Let the speculation begin.

hmm..this is odd. i dont see how macminute would get the URL early though. besides, press releases generally come together..not with short gaps between each.

how cool would it be if apple bought jackson's share in the beatles music collection or something like that! :D

jared_kipe
Jul 5, 2005, 10:21 AM
The prize is just fine, but how on earth can they consider an email a valid entery? You have to buy the 500,000,000th song, so how does an email count as a song purchase?

yellow5
Jul 5, 2005, 10:27 AM
I think when companies offer these promotions they have to offer a chance to win with out purchase. Look at every promotion and you'll see when you can enter without actually buying the product(via mail, etc). I don't know why they do this though.

mhagen
Jul 5, 2005, 10:29 AM
additional info about the counter:
It reads this XML file:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/external_counter.xml

will this still be there after the half-a-billion countdown is over...

M.

MacHarne
Jul 5, 2005, 10:31 AM
The idea of giving someone ten iPods seems a bit exhaustive. Do they expect the person to hand them out to friends or relatives? Most people are likely just to sell them for the cash, since iPods rarely drop below Apple's asking price.

But, at the same time, I think the prizes are great. This will be just another way for me to spend precious financial resources in hopes of being able to talk to Steve. Plus, seeing Coldplay would be Amazing, especially if it were in London.

Whyren
Jul 5, 2005, 10:36 AM
Figures...the day I get a rebate back from Apple is the day they start a promotion that's sure to put the money right back in their pockets :p
Well, there's always the Tell-a-Friend entries.

So, is this going to become an annual thing with iTunes? Pepsi promotion in January, n-th song download contest in July?

Edit: I've still got my iTunes alert status icons from last year if anyone needs them for their site/widget/tracker.

Applespider
Jul 5, 2005, 10:38 AM
And to think it was only this time last year that we were excited about getting it to 100m!

coolfactor
Jul 5, 2005, 10:47 AM
Figures...the day I get a rebate back from Apple is the day they start a promotion that's sure to put the money right back in their pockets :p

haha... that cracked me up!

They planned this out really well...

... updated iPods
... a week later... iTunes 4.9 w/free podcast support (hurt sales)
... a week later... 500M iTunes promotion (reinvigorate sales)
... later this week... some BIG announcement(s) .... ????

iBonzo
Jul 5, 2005, 10:50 AM
The reason they have to offer a entry w/o purchase is to make it so it isnt gambling. At least thats what makes sense. Correct me if i'm wrong.

runninmac
Jul 5, 2005, 10:53 AM
The prize is just fine, but how on earth can they consider an email a valid entery? You have to buy the 500,000,000th song, so how does an email count as a song purchase?

Yeah thats what ive been wondering? When someone sends in a email then it counts as a download??

Freg3000
Jul 5, 2005, 11:13 AM
The fact that there is a prize at all is enough for me. Apple doesn't need to do this promotion, so I am grateful for any prize they give away. And the "value" of this year's prize is more than last year's, with the possibility of winning 10 $399 60 GB iPods.

I can't wait for someone to create a widget for this. I surely couldn't so it myself but from this know-nothing it looks like it will be fairly easy.

:)

shamino
Jul 5, 2005, 11:22 AM
Nice promo, although I couldn't care less about Coldplay tickets.

Now if they could give me front-row seats and a meet-n-greet with Meatloaf (who is performing near me next month), that would be awesome.

fluidinclusion
Jul 5, 2005, 11:22 AM

Actually purchasing is at an increasing rate. Here's how to tell:

1. go to apple.com
2. wait a while and leave the page alone.
3. open a new browser window and take it to apple.com
4. compare the two. The new web page will show you the updated value.

There is probably a number and rate given at the discrete moment you load the page. This number and rate are probably updated, but only for new page requests.

fluidinclusion
Jul 5, 2005, 11:25 AM
The idea of giving someone ten iPods seems a bit exhaustive. Do they expect the person to hand them out to friends or relatives? Most people are likely just to sell them for the cash, since iPods rarely drop below Apple's asking price.

But, at the same time, I think the prizes are great. This will be just another way for me to spend precious financial resources in hopes of being able to talk to Steve. Plus, seeing Coldplay would be Amazing, especially if it were in London.

Only greedy *%&&$*s wouldn't give them to family and friends (who want them). Cash is better than having it rot, but I'm sure SOMEONE in your family would want one. Send me one - I can't afford one right now.

joepunk
Jul 5, 2005, 11:28 AM
FYI, I am watching the counter right now. See the right portion of the image. The counter is within the Live 8 text. At least I am guessing that it is for ITMS or it could be strictly for the Live 8. I am guessing it is the latter :confused:

mafwoj
Jul 5, 2005, 11:45 AM
The reason they have to offer a entry w/o purchase is to make it so it isnt gambling. At least thats what makes sense. Correct me if i'm wrong.

correct, otherwise they have to spend $$$ on a gambling license
(plus it would make the rules stricter)

Applespider
Jul 5, 2005, 11:47 AM
There is probably a number and rate given at the discrete moment you load the page. This number and rate are probably updated, but only for new page requests.

Last time it updated at 5 minute intervals and then there were lots of clever people who worked out algorithms on websites to calculate how many minutes into the next 5 minutes you'd have to order to hit the 00,000 mark

Supa_Fly
Jul 5, 2005, 11:50 AM
Well I'm hoping I win. 50 iPods though I just need 3 - a U2 for me, a photo 20g or Pink mini for my wife, and 1 photo for my pops he's so anti Apple I think it will turn him around. Funny though he got me into Apple back in the IIc days in grade 4 with a friends game disc - Karateka!

The other 7 though I would definately sell them at rock bottom prices, something like $100 Canadian; even though I'm broke & need more coin, I'm not desparate to rip people off when I win something which is less than 3 times at ANYTHING.

Is there anywhere in the iTunes Canadian store to see the counter, cause here we dont get to view the Live 8 page. :(

That concert was a great effort.

michaelrjohnson
Jul 5, 2005, 11:50 AM
we need those really rockin graphs they had up on the last promo. those were great
YES! Please!

I know I'm not going to win... but I loved watching those stats... and I hope to be able to do it again!

Mac Boy-Canada
Jul 5, 2005, 11:58 AM
Something struck me as odd in this promotion; they are giving away 10 iPods, but if one person were to get one of every iPod currently available, that would only be 9 (iPod 20GB, 60GB, silver, green, pink, blue, 512MB, 1GB, U2).

Is a 10th one coming up?

seashellz
Jul 5, 2005, 11:59 AM
how cool would it be if Apple bought Michael Jackson's share of the Beatles music [Library]...
----------
Too funny.
After all his troubles, he may need to sell them to keep Neverland going.

And besides-if Apple owned 'em-you wouldnt see them used to push K-Mart, McDonalds or AM-PM '2 Corndogs for a buck' ads...

MacHarne
Jul 5, 2005, 12:04 PM
Only greedy *%&&$*s wouldn't give them to family and friends (who want them). Cash is better than having it rot, but I'm sure SOMEONE in your family would want one. Send me one - I can't afford one right now.
It is not logical to assume the Grand Prize winner will be as altruistic as we would hope. Many people would likely just sell the iPods instead of handing them to friends or family. In my case, nearly all of the people I would consider friends already have iPods, and the rest of them use CDs as their primary source of music. My comment was not intended to be connotated as a statement that I would sell the iPods, but rather noting that many, many people would rather have cash for them. But if I win, I'll be glad to send you an iPod.

Mac_Freak
Jul 5, 2005, 12:08 PM
Does any one know what are the chances for someone to hit that 500,000,000 mark. I guess a lot of people are going to be waiting for that chance.

phrenq
Jul 5, 2005, 12:09 PM

Unless, of course, they need to recover some money to pay the income taxes for these prizes, which would be several thousands of dollars.

dontmatter
Jul 5, 2005, 12:11 PM
ten ipods? 10,000 songs!

wow...

why not maybe... 2 ipods, a mac, and 1000 songs? oh, right... itms/ipod not really worried about the mac anymore... :rolleyes:

coolfactor
Jul 5, 2005, 12:28 PM
Is there anywhere in the iTunes Canadian store to see the counter, cause here we dont get to view the Live 8 page. :(

The counter is at the bottom of the Apple.com home page. I haven't seen that Live 8 home page either, but I see the counter.

Doh! Correction.... that screenshot was of the iTunes page, not the main home page.

corywoolf
Jul 5, 2005, 12:28 PM
Don't even try to purchase a winner. The odds are way against you. Last time they did the 100 million promo, I bought 3 albums right when it was within about 1000 to go. Its a great promo, but if you think there is much strategy, I would have to disagree. May not happen, but wouldn't it be a great gift to all itms users to have a surprise announcement of the beatles collection, like a poster up above already mentioned. I think there is a good chance of this happening and it would be a news maker, because of the lawsuit with apple records.

[News Headline....] Cletus Jones, of West Virginia, wins the itms grand prize. He said, " I gots to get me one of them jon deere tractors after I sell these downa t the towns auction." [News Headline....]

asif786
Jul 5, 2005, 12:32 PM
Don't even try to purchase a winner. The odds are way against you. Last time they did the 100 million promo, I bought 3 albums right when it was within about 1000 to go. Its a great promo, but if you think there is much strategy, I would have to disagree. May not happen, but wouldn't it be a great gift to all itms users to have a surprise announcement of the beatles collection, like a poster up above already mentioned. I think there is a good chance of this happening and it would be a news maker, because of the lawsuit with apple records.

i agree, there's no point actively trying to win. it's just not going to happen. maybe wait till you're within a few thousand or something..it's likely there's a delay with the timer anyway..

corywoolf
Jul 5, 2005, 12:44 PM
I wonder how the free songs are given, most likely apple contacts you and you give them your account you would like to use for it. If it was, say, a card, I would sell it on ebay as a collectors item for $1200, then get 200 more free songs or buy another ipod. If you sold all but one collectors ipod before you even got them, then you could probably get a whole bunch of ipod mini's and then take them with you to cupertino (i think you get to meet steve right?). Don't tell him how you got all the minis, but ask him nicely to sign them (steve is probably not going to do this, but a little sweet talking might get him to). After he signs them, you return to your place and sell the 30+ ipod minis, signed by steve, for $600 and get back $18,000. Now invest $12,000 of that into apple stock and buy yourself a nice mac with the rest of it. Now you have yourself a collectors ipod, really nice mac, $12,000 worth of apple shares and in, say, a couple years you might double or triple your money because of apple's stock. Then you could take out some of that money and buy yourself a nice car. This would be a lot of work, but a lot of profit. Just a thought, if anyone on macrumors wins a prize pm me!!!! I want to here about what apple told you. :D

B_Gates
Jul 5, 2005, 12:53 PM

It could be worse, they could have been giving away Mac Mini's.

cloud 9
Jul 5, 2005, 12:55 PM
i have a question, do i have to mail the 'tell af friend' to itunes500@apple.com or to a friend of mine...and they will know??? it's not clear..
i have no visa so i can't pay online for songs

Militar
Jul 5, 2005, 01:03 PM
It's wonderful they are giving away any prizes at all. I definitely see myself picking up 10 60GB iPods and selling them on ebay for a price that's equivalent to a decked out PowerMac G5. Or Cinema Display 30".

neildmitchell
Jul 5, 2005, 01:06 PM
I like how were thrown peanuts and scraps of bread for keeping Apple on top when it comes to iTunes... I hate contests, I cant believe people fall for them.

Supa_Fly
Jul 5, 2005, 01:17 PM
i have a question, do i have to mail the 'tell af friend' to itunes500@apple.com or to a friend of mine...and they will know??? it's not clear..
i have no visa so i can't pay online for songs

Get a secured credit card! It'll take about 6 weeks for it to be in hand but it'll help for major emergency's that is if your of age.

@corywolf, man you're really on a mission! I wonder if Steve Jobs has signed any Apple products at an event? Well if not him then maybe another person of fame; John Mayer seems to be a regular at Apple events of late - he is also a musician so him signing it would be close to equal of what your looking for on ebay pricing.

rogo
Jul 5, 2005, 01:25 PM
... from a little ways back (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=1554582&postcount=86)

dornoforpyros
Jul 5, 2005, 01:44 PM
hmmm let's see 10 iPods, 10,000 songs plus another 500 songs on different cards.

So let assume you keep 1 iPod for yourself and the 10,000 song card.
Give away another 4 iPods to friends/family.

Ebay the remaining 5 iPods each with a 50 song card for $500,
500 X 5 = $2,500

15" powerbook with super drive = $2,299.00

Seems like a pretty decent prize to me :D

backspinner
Jul 5, 2005, 02:26 PM
working on a graph :-)

Dagless
Jul 5, 2005, 02:44 PM
hah, seems like eBay is a common idea.

id eBay all but 1 (the 60Gb iPod, perfect match for my 6Gb mini) then set up a little iPod fund and whenever a new one comes out i'll be one of the first to get one :D

of course ive no chance of winning. i dont buy music from iTunes :D

shamino
Jul 5, 2005, 02:48 PM
correct, otherwise they have to spend $$$ on a gambling license
(plus it would make the rules stricter)
It would also become illegal in the US. There are some states where gambling is not legal at all. And most states prohibit tele-gambling (that is, gambling via phone calls or network connections.) This effectively makes any nationwide pay-to-play promotion impossible to conduct legally.

(Yes, I am aware that lots of people in the US gamble over the internet. It is illegal. The web-casinos are not shut down because they are usually located in countries where it is difficult or impossible to do so.)

shamino
Jul 5, 2005, 02:50 PM
Something struck me as odd in this promotion; they are giving away 10 iPods, but if one person were to get one of every iPod currently available, that would only be 9 (iPod 20GB, 60GB, silver, green, pink, blue, 512MB, 1GB, U2).

Is a 10th one coming up?
Who said they all have to be different?

If I won the prize, I'd probably get 10 60G models and give them to friends and family members (and keep three for myself - one to use and two spares for when the battery dies a week after the warrantee expires.)

Applespider
Jul 5, 2005, 03:20 PM
I like how were thrown peanuts and scraps of bread for keeping Apple on top when it comes to iTunes... I hate contests, I cant believe people fall for them.

It's called marketing to get more press attention for a major milestone. It's not like they did it at 200, 300, 400K after all.

People only fall for it if they try to buy more songs than normal just before the timer rolls over. I expect most people will only buy stuff they intended to get anyway - the prizes aren't huge enough to make people buy songs they'll never listen to. I'll buy my usual few albums over the next few weeks - and if Apple happen to mail me and tell me I've won a prize, I'll be happy! If not, I'll have the music I was going to buy anyway.

MacHarne
Jul 5, 2005, 04:35 PM
I wonder how the free songs are given, most likely apple contacts you and you give them your account you would like to use for it. If it was, say, a card, I would sell it on ebay as a collectors item for $1200, then get 200 more free songs or buy another ipod. If you sold all but one collectors ipod before you even got them, then you could probably get a whole bunch of ipod mini's and then take them with you to cupertino (i think you get to meet steve right?). Don't tell him how you got all the minis, but ask him nicely to sign them (steve is probably not going to do this, but a little sweet talking might get him to). After he signs them, you return to your place and sell the 30+ ipod minis, signed by steve, for $600 and get back $18,000. Now invest $12,000 of that into apple stock and buy yourself a nice mac with the rest of it. Now you have yourself a collectors ipod, really nice mac, $12,000 worth of apple shares and in, say, a couple years you might double or triple your money because of apple's stock. Then you could take out some of that money and buy yourself a nice car. This would be a lot of work, but a lot of profit. Just a thought, if anyone on macrumors wins a prize pm me!!!! I want to here about what apple told you.

Don't forget the Coldplay concert. Maybe, after bonding with Steve while he is signing the iPods, you could invite him along as well!

MaCaDDiCT21
Jul 5, 2005, 04:37 PM
Wheres the free Powermac? And why does the persont need 10 iPods? All they're gonna do is sell the other 9 on eBay...

rendezvouscp
Jul 5, 2005, 04:51 PM
It's called marketing to get more press attention for a major milestone. It's not like they did it at 200, 300, 400K after all.

People only fall for it if they try to buy more songs than normal just before the timer rolls over. I expect most people will only buy stuff they intended to get anyway - the prizes aren't huge enough to make people buy songs they'll never listen to. I'll buy my usual few albums over the next few weeks - and if Apple happen to mail me and tell me I've won a prize, I'll be happy! If not, I'll have the music I was going to buy anyway.

I know the odds are against me winning, but I'm still going to try and win for the fun of it. I'm going through the store right now to find songs that I'm actually going to listen to, and I'll just wait until the milestone before I buy. I get songs I want, some fun, and perhaps the grand prize. Seems good to me. :D
-Chase

backspinner
Jul 5, 2005, 04:56 PM
Ok, a simple graph is up!

http://itunescount.tijdweb.nl

(needs some extra development, but it's bedtime overhere)

Zappaman
Jul 5, 2005, 05:32 PM
Is anyone else having trouble getting on the iTunes Music Store... I keep getting error messages. Is it being overloaded? :)

-Zappaman

Freg3000
Jul 5, 2005, 05:36 PM
Ok, a simple graph is up!

(needs some extra development, but it's bedtime overhere)

I remember this site....memories from last summer! :)

Awesome job!

Zappaman
Jul 5, 2005, 05:39 PM
Looking at data from http://itunescount.tijdweb.nl, the iTunes Music Store sold 23,285 songs in the past 10 minutes!!! Holy crap!

-Zappaman

2005-07-06 00:32:01 482010285
2005-07-06 00:31:02 482002637
2005-07-06 00:30:02 482002637
2005-07-06 00:29:06 482002637
2005-07-06 00:28:02 482002637
2005-07-06 00:27:05 481994534
2005-07-06 00:26:02 481994534
2005-07-06 00:25:02 481994534
2005-07-06 00:24:02 481994534
2005-07-06 00:23:03 481994534
2005-07-06 00:22:01 481987000

mpw
Jul 5, 2005, 06:07 PM
I wish the iTunes receipt numbers tallied with the countdown so I could see how close to the 500,000,000 download I got.

golfstud
Jul 5, 2005, 06:09 PM
Watching the counter...(really scientific!)

about 1300 songs per minute. about 1.87 million per day

Whyren
Jul 5, 2005, 06:09 PM
Interesting...the Apple counter JS has a little code suggesting the IE for Mac users upgrade to Safari to see the counter :)

JGowan
Jul 5, 2005, 06:13 PM
The ONLY way to go would be to keep 1 and sell the other nine 60GB ipods on ebay for at least twice their value. Certainly there are 9 rich fools out their who would be willing to pay $799 for a 500 Million Song ipod with special stuff inscribed on the back about being such an item. I'd be tempted and I'm not even rich. Sometimes a bit foolish, but not a Rich Fool.

That would net someone over $7000 and with that, one could get all types of excellent Apple stuff. Hold out and get a Macintel next year with a 30" Display! Sweet!

chv400
Jul 5, 2005, 06:41 PM
I wouldn't mind having 10 iPods even if you dont sell em thats a lot of storarage space imagine making an iPod RAID.

mpw
Jul 5, 2005, 06:42 PM
Someone just got another iPod mini, lucky bugger!

Yvan256
Jul 5, 2005, 07:17 PM
Did I read that right? The contest is only valid in the USA? But they count tunes from all countries?

What a rip-off! :(

longofest
Jul 5, 2005, 07:37 PM
...imagine making an iPod RAID.
I was thinking the same exact thing!!! It would be only a tad ridiculous.

So after watching the counter meticulously for about 15 minutes, I think I know how it works. When the page initially loads, it is synched with the actual store bought amount. However, the counter then just increments at a certain set rate for a few minutes until it synchronizes again with the server (I have actually seen the counter go BACKWARDS).

Anyone know if Albums count as 1 song or the number of songs that are on the album?

J-Squire
Jul 5, 2005, 07:47 PM
Did I read that right? The contest is only valid in the USA? But they count tunes from all countries?

What a rip-off! :(

From the contest rules:

Eligibility. In order to be eligible, entrants must be 13 years of age or older, and a legal resident of one of the 50 United States, including Washington, D.C., Austria, Belgium, Canada (excluding the Province of Quebec), Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland or the United Kingdom.

dejo
Jul 5, 2005, 07:51 PM
From the contest rules:

Eligibility. In order to be eligible, entrants must be 13 years of age or older, and a legal resident of one of the 50 United States, including Washington, D.C., Austria, Belgium, Canada (excluding the Province of Quebec), Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland or the United Kingdom.

France is one of the 50 United States? Better not let Jacques Chirac know. ;)

SeaFox
Jul 5, 2005, 08:08 PM
haha... that cracked me up!

They planned this out really well...

... updated iPods
... a week later... iTunes 4.9 w/free podcast support (hurt sales)
... a week later... 500M iTunes promotion (reinvigorate sales)
... later this week... some BIG announcement(s) .... ????

Why would updating iTunes hurt sales? The update was to add features. We knew about the phone bit but I don't see an itunes phone as being in a marketting conflict with iPods.

joeboy_45101
Jul 5, 2005, 08:50 PM
With that many iPods I would probably keep one for myself, give one to my girlfriend, and then just give the rest of 'em away. But it would have to be a random act of kindness no way would I barter or sell one. 10,000 songs, damn I hope that coupon doesn't have an expiration date. It would take me forever to find that much music that I like. And a trip to see Coldplay in concert would make it pure exstacy to win.

greenguy4
Jul 5, 2005, 09:30 PM
Hmm.... When you buy an album does it count as 1 song or however many songs are in that album?

LimeiBook86
Jul 5, 2005, 09:31 PM
I'll take my chances, maybe I'll get myself a new iPod...I can use one...my 5gb's FireWire port is only half working! :o

Militar
Jul 5, 2005, 09:31 PM
Hmm.... When you buy an album does it count as 1 song or however many songs are in that album?I believe it's the latter, but I may be wrong.

KKKL
Jul 5, 2005, 09:32 PM
With that many iPods I would probably keep one for myself, give one to my girlfriend, and then just give the rest of 'em away. But it would have to be a random act of kindness no way would I barter or sell one. 10,000 songs, damn I hope that coupon doesn't have an expiration date. It would take me forever to find that much music that I like. And a trip to see Coldplay in concert would make it pure exstacy to win.
one for me
one for my son
one for my son's son
one for my son's son's son
one for my son's son's son's son
one for my son's son's son's son's son
one for my son's son's son's son's son's son
one for my son's son's son's son's son's son's son
one for my son's son's son's son's son's son's son's son
one for my son's son's son's son's son's son's son's son's son

J-Squire
Jul 5, 2005, 09:43 PM
France is one of the 50 United States? Better not let Jacques Chirac know. ;)

Hehe, yeah, obviously that is not what is meant, but I did find it an odd use of grammar, as it does make it sound like those coutries are being listed as states in the USA.

altivec 2003
Jul 5, 2005, 10:08 PM
[...]
So after watching the counter meticulously for about 15 minutes, I think I know how it works. When the page initially loads, it is synched with the actual store bought amount. However, the counter then just increments at a certain set rate for a few minutes until it synchronizes again with the server (I have actually seen the counter go BACKWARDS).
[...]
You are correct about the counter. It estimates the rate of change each interval based on the previous update (in the xml document that somebody else provided earlier). It then keeps adding this value over and over again. So, clearly the counter could go backwards when it synchronizes with the xml data. Interestingly enough, apple (or whoever wrote the javascript) foresaw this problem and made the script adjust the rate to 80 percent of the previous value. This makes it much less likely that the counter will jump back and more likely that it will jump forward.
I admire your dedication, but I just looked at the script... took much less than 15 minutes ;)
Now, I wonder why the counter isn't in its proper location (at least in my version of safari). Looks rather unprofessional if you ask me.
script here (http://wdirect.apple.com/itunes/home/counter500million.js)

greenguy4
Jul 5, 2005, 10:37 PM
Hmmm... Well if you estimate the value of the prize and figure they dont have any cool inscription on the back...

10 60gig Ipods= 3990
10 50 song cards= 500
10,000 song card= 10,000
Trip to see Coldplay= Priceless

So figuring all that is worth nearly $15,000 plus Coldplay (figure 4-5 thousand)

Couldn't you potentially make an iMix that had thousands of songs on it -- and then hit the purchase all button at the top right around the time that it hits 500 Million and I'd say you would have a pretty good shot at it. Any Takers?

If you do attempt this and it works I will take an iPod as my commission :-P

waltchan
Jul 5, 2005, 11:11 PM
WHY:

If a person just won and is the 500,000,000 downloaded song, the person may or may not know Coldplay and does not care about it. Not everybody in this world know the band Coldplay. So, if the backstage tickets are handed to him or her, there is a always a chance that he or she may just toss it out, and then the prize turns out to be a waste in the end. What's more, it wastes Coldplay members' time dealing with non-Coldplay fans. Maybe the iPods giveaway will do well, but not everyone cares about Coldplay. It's not really fair to see a person who won the Coldplay tickets and does not care about it.

rendezvouscp
Jul 5, 2005, 11:15 PM
10 60gig Ipods= 3990
10 50 song cards= 500
10,000 song card= 10,000
Trip to see Coldplay= Priceless

Sounds like the perfect Mastercard commercial to me! (I hope this joke makes it over the pond alright). :p
-Chase

Whyren
Jul 5, 2005, 11:16 PM
Looks like another high-selling summer for the Pull My Finger (http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=K/HWfV1hE5M&offerid=78941.450576216&type=10&subid=) album. :rolleyes:

autrefois
Jul 5, 2005, 11:36 PM

France is one of the 50 United States? Better not let Jacques Chirac know.

:)

Apparently Apple hasn't heard of the semicolon. Better yet, they could have used parentheses, as they did with Canada.

<< [...] a legal resident of one of the 50 United States (including Washington, D.C.), Austria, Belgium, Canada (excluding the Province of Quebec), Denmark, Finland [...] >>

BTW, does anyone know why Quebec is excluded??

dontmatter
Jul 6, 2005, 12:08 AM
one for me
one for my son
one for my son's son

I'd throw a daughter in there somewhere. And my other sons/daughters, to be fair.

jinzo012
Jul 6, 2005, 01:19 AM
Is that iTMS counter on the bottom of Apple's page, accurate? or is it just some image Apple created that just keeps going up?

They're doing great (Looks like about 10 SPS) If it is accurate.

jinzo012
Jul 6, 2005, 01:28 AM
WHY:

If a person just won and is the 500,000,000 downloaded song, the person may or may not know Coldplay and does not care about it. Not everybody in this world know the band Coldplay. So, if the backstage tickets are handed to him or her, there is a always a chance that he or she may just toss it out, and then the prize turns out to be a waste in the end. What's more, it wastes Coldplay members' time dealing with non-Coldplay fans. Maybe the iPods giveaway will do well, but not everyone cares about Coldplay. It's not really fair to see a person who won the Coldplay tickets and does not care about it.

Well I'm sure most of the people who aren't "Coldplay" fans (Like me, and likely many, many other People (and, lizards)), would more than likely choose to auction the Tickets (or whatever) on eBay for, um, around the neighborhood of about 2999 USD (Perfect for a fully loaded iMac G5 :D )
and, let those other people lose their money :) .

jinzo012
Jul 6, 2005, 01:33 AM
Is that iTMS counter on the bottom of Apple's page, accurate? or is it just some image Apple created that just keeps going up?

They're doing great (Looks like about 10 SPS) If it is accurate.

Whoops forgot to look up. okay I got my answer

backspinner
Jul 6, 2005, 02:32 AM
it's slowing down!

iMeowbot
Jul 6, 2005, 02:56 AM
it's slowing down!
There are still big chunks of the world without iTMS, so that dip may simply be sleeping people :D

superduperjacob
Jul 6, 2005, 02:57 AM
it's slowing down!

Most Americans have gone nigh nigh.

jinzo012
Jul 6, 2005, 03:02 AM
Most :D

cooknwitha
Jul 6, 2005, 03:35 AM
Going roughly by the counter on the apple site, you can only imagine the HUGE jump in sales once it hits 499 999 950 songs sold.

blybug
Jul 6, 2005, 04:05 AM
i wish i could make this widget myself, but i cant. i'm sure one handsome looking widget will be out soon enough.
I cut up the apple/itunes page in GoLive until all I had left was the counter, eliminated some extra css info from the source code, and made it into a widget!

Download iTunes 500 Million Countdown Widget Here! (http://homepage.mac.com/keithbly/FileSharing9.html)

Sometimes needs to be refreshed with a Cmd-R each time Dashboard is brought up, but then cycles through the countdown just like the real webpage. If this helps someone to get their timing right to buy that 500 millionth song, please let me have one of the iPods :p

asif786
Jul 6, 2005, 04:29 AM
I cut up the apple/itunes page in GoLive until all I had left was the counter, eliminated some extra css info from the source code, and made it into a widget!

Download iTunes 500 Million Countdown Widget Here! (http://homepage.mac.com/keithbly/FileSharing9.html)

Sometimes needs to be refreshed with a Cmd-R each time Dashboard is brought up, but then cycles through the countdown just like the real webpage. If this helps someone to get their timing right to buy that 500 millionth song, please let me have one of the iPods :p

hey dude, i downloaded, and installed but it doesn't show up in my dashboard or in the widget selector. just a headsup..not sure if it's just me or what..

blybug
Jul 6, 2005, 04:41 AM
hey dude, i downloaded, and installed but it doesn't show up in my dashboard or in the widget selector. just a headsup..not sure if it's just me or what..
Thanks for the heads up...try it again now...

Download iTunes 500 Million Download Widget Here (http://homepage.mac.com/keithbly/FileSharing9.html)

I zipped it after it was already on my iDisk but apparently the zip didn't take and just made an empty zip file. This time I zipped it locally and then uploaded to the iDisk. Seems to download and install OK now.

Yvan256
Jul 6, 2005, 07:22 AM
From the contest rules:

Erm, did I read that right?! "a legal resident of one of the 50 United States, including Washington, D.C., Austria, Belgium, Canada (excluding the Province of Quebec), Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland or the United Kingdom."? When were those countries annexed to the USA? :D

In any case, "excluding the Province of Quebec" screws me every time. I hate Loto-Quebec! :mad: (it's because of them if most contests aren't valid here, they require too many ******** requirements/fees).

yakirz
Jul 6, 2005, 07:50 AM
I don't care about Coldplay, but I'd love 10 60GB iPods, 10500 songs and to meet Steve.

gorkonapple
Jul 6, 2005, 08:37 AM
If you were the winner, what would be your mix of iPods??

Mine would be:

1 6GB Mini (I already have a 1 GB shuffle) Blue
1 U2 iPod (Just cuz it's cool)
2 60 GB iPods for myself
1 60 GB iPod for my wife
5 60 GB iPods I would give/sell the following way
1 iPod for my Dad
1 iPod for my Mom
1 iPod for my Brother
1 iPod for my Sister In-Law
1 iPod to sell on eBay so I can purchase a iTunes Phone or a Smartphone

1 thing...if the iTunes phone is out before the 500,000,000 song and you were the winner, would the phone be available AS a iPod for you to select??

Yvan256
Jul 6, 2005, 08:46 AM
1 thing...if the iTunes phone is out before the 500,000,000 song and you were the winner, would the phone be available AS a iPod for you to select??

An iTunes/iTMS-compatible phone wouldn't be called an iPod (one would hope), so I'd say no.

corywoolf
Jul 6, 2005, 09:23 AM
Why would updating iTunes hurt sales? The update was to add features. We knew about the phone bit but I don't see an itunes phone as being in a marketting conflict with iPods.

some people were distracted by the free podcasts maybe???

corywoolf
Jul 6, 2005, 09:26 AM
If you were the winner, what would be your mix of iPods??

Mine would be:

1 6GB Mini (I already have a 1 GB shuffle) Blue
1 U2 iPod (Just cuz it's cool)
2 60 GB iPods for myself
1 60 GB iPod for my wife
5 60 GB iPods I would give/sell the following way
1 iPod for my Dad
1 iPod for my Mom
1 iPod for my Brother
1 iPod for my Sister In-Law
1 iPod to sell on eBay so I can purchase a iTunes Phone or a Smartphone

or you could get all 60 GB ipods and sell them all but one then rebuy the same line up you want and be able to get yourself a powerbook or powermac with your itunes phone!?

mpw
Jul 6, 2005, 09:55 AM
Erm, did I read that right?! "a legal resident of one of the 50 United States, including Washington, D.C., Austria, Belgium, Canada (excluding the Province of Quebec), Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland or the United Kingdom."? When were those countries annexed to the USA?...

I think the comma after "...50 United States, inc...." shouldn't have been there, I could be wrong but DC isn't a State.

rendezvouscp
Jul 6, 2005, 10:30 AM
I think the comma after "...50 United States, inc...." shouldn't have been there, I could be wrong but DC isn't a State.

Yeah, DC isn't a state, but it's usually said separately from the rest of the states because it's its own district. From how I understand it, the state isn't a part of Maryland, the land mass that it would be on if it weren't separated. Since the government is separated from the state, Washington is its own district. I hope I'm right, and I hope that makes sense. Here (http://www.enchantedlearning.com/usa/states/dc/) is some more information.
-Chase

LimeiBook86
Jul 6, 2005, 10:38 AM
There are still big chunks of the world without iTMS, so that dip may simply be sleeping people :D

That's what I was thinking when I was up late last night/early this morning.

I betcha Apple is very happy about this whole thing, it's pushing people to buy more songs...:D

BTW, your avatar is Classic! ;)

autrefois
Jul 6, 2005, 10:39 AM
Yeah, DC isn't a state, but it's usually said separately from the rest of the states because it's its own district. From how I understand it, the state isn't a part of Maryland, the land mass that it would be on if it weren't separated. Since the government is separated from the state, Washington is its own district. I hope I'm right, and I hope that makes sense. Here (http://www.enchantedlearning.com/usa/states/dc/) is some more information.
-Chase

You are correct that it's not a state, which is why they don't get any votes in Congress (they get no Senator at all and a non-voting Representative). And yet they pay taxes. Hmm...

So folks in D.C. get no representation, but at least they can win free iPods. Woo-hoo! :rolleyes:

shamino
Jul 6, 2005, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't mind having 10 iPods even if you dont sell em thats a lot of storarage space imagine making an iPod RAID.
How about a shuffle-RAID (http://www.wrightthisway.com/Articles/000154.html)?

Kal-EL
Jul 6, 2005, 11:50 AM
I believe it's the latter, but I may be wrong.
If I remember correctly, the 100,000,000 song winner was in the middle of downloading the complete U2 when he won and Apple treated each song independently.

This whole promotion is cool and it does wonders for the iTMS. I can't help wondering what Apple will have in store for the 1,000,000,000 download.

Applespider
Jul 6, 2005, 12:02 PM
If I remember correctly, the 100,000,000 song winner was in the middle of downloading the complete U2 when he won and Apple treated each song independently.

The winning song was Zero 7's EP - with 3 tracks on it. But yes, I think each song in album is treated individually - whether it counts when it's purchased or as it downloads is another question. On purchase would be most sensible.

CanadaRAM
Jul 6, 2005, 12:06 PM
Who are you calling normal? :confused: :D

Kal-EL
Jul 6, 2005, 12:18 PM

For every contest, there's a winner; and if that person didn't "fall" for it, they would not have whatever the prize was now.
I understand that the odds of winning contests are astronomical, but most of them are fun and free (as in no purchase necessary) and get people exited; and as I previously stated, for every contest there is a winner. Try telling some of these winners they shouldn't have fallen for them. My grandmother was a prime example. She used to enter contests of all kinds and back when my dad was a kid, she won $36,500. That's $100. a day for a full year. True, the odds are against me winning this current iTunes promotion but they're not zero. I'll make a few purchases around "zero hour" and will have fun just reading about the winners.

And I'm talking about contests and not state run lotteries. That's a whole different ballgame. I know there are many people who spend grocery money when the jackpot gets high, hoping beyond hope that this will be their break. These people need help. Those that spend money they can't afford on futility are unfortunate souls. I have been known to purchase a tcket or two, but I can afford them and don't spend any more than $5.

griz
Jul 6, 2005, 12:19 PM
Why would anyone buy songs? If you can enter by simply clicking the tell a friend button and sending the e-mail. You can apparently do this as many times as you like. I don't understand why you would buy. Other than being sceptical of being able to win via this method.

rDLr
Jul 6, 2005, 12:39 PM
Why would anyone buy songs? If you can enter by simply clicking the tell a friend button and sending the e-mail. You can apparently do this as many times as you like. I don't understand why you would buy. Other than being sceptical of being able to win via this method.

If you buy an album or a bunch of songs at once you might hit the magic number easier than sending one email at the right time.

(Not that I haven't been sending the emails just in case anyway.) :)

Kal-EL
Jul 6, 2005, 01:02 PM
WHY:

Well then I guess that no musical artist or group should ever be offered as a part of a promotional contest for anything because there's always a chance that the winner won't know them and won't understand the phrase “back-stage” passes for a meet n’ greet with the band (guaranteed availability) and just throw these passes out.
Oh, I get it that was sarcasm, that's AWESOME!!

Seriously though, anyone who knows enough about the iTMS to not only have their own account, but to also be actively participating in the contest should know who Coldplay is. If they don't, than I'm sure that with the 10,000 songs they win, they'll download the albums and become familiar. I also doubt that anyone who wins this contest won't know what a backstage meet n' greet means and just throw the passes away. If they're not a fan, I'm sure they could find any number of people who are and take three fans with them and all should have a great time.

greenguy4
Jul 6, 2005, 01:08 PM
What have they given out for past milestones?

dontmatter
Jul 6, 2005, 01:39 PM
pardon that I don't think there's a right thread for this...

So what on earth happened with that mystery media event apple was supposed to be having? Wasn't that supposed to be yesterday?

Militar
Jul 6, 2005, 01:41 PM
it's slowing down!

The actual downloads seem to spiral around the average song purchase rate in a cyclical fashion. What is it now? 20 songs per second? OMG. I wonder how fat a pipe Apple needs to transfer those many songs. :eek: It's quite spectacular, and iTMS still has a largely untapped market for downloads.

michaelrjohnson
Jul 6, 2005, 01:46 PM
How about a shuffle-RAID (http://www.wrightthisway.com/Articles/000154.html)?
Very nice... completely useless, but fun nonetheless! ;)

pardon that I don't think there's a right thread for this...

So what on earth happened with that mystery media event apple was supposed to be having? Wasn't that supposed to be yesterday?
July 7th
Another thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1574366)

MacFanatic90
Jul 6, 2005, 01:55 PM
I have found that external apps or widgets (see iTMS Estimator (http://homepage.mac.com/jonn8/as/html/iTMS_Estimator.html) , iTunes 500 Million Countdown Widget (http://www.dashboardwidgets.com/showcase/details.php?wid=880), and iTunes 500M Widget (http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/wa/default?user=keithbly&templatefn=FileSharing9.html&xmlfn=TKDocument.9.xml&sitefn=RootSite.xml&aff=consumer&cty=US&lang=en)) often display much different numbers than the ones on Apple's own site. The accuracy seems to fluctuate (sometimes off by several thousand), and I wonder if any of the numbers are truly accurate, and how it would be possible to obtain the accurate number. It must have to do with the way Apple set up their counter on their site, with the Javascript and everything.

BTW, what's up with this: (from section 6 of official rules, "How to Win")
Each entrant is eligible to win only one (1) iPod mini/50-song card Prize or one (1) Grand Prize.
Does this mean that you can only win one or the other, or just one of each?

Freg3000
Jul 6, 2005, 02:12 PM
It is certainly amazing to think that we were doing the same thing last year, millions of songs ago. It took about 14 months for the iTMS to get to 100 million songs, yet only about 12 months for the next 400 million. :eek:

Kal-EL
Jul 6, 2005, 02:46 PM

You bring up a very valid point. Music is overrated anyway, y'know? I mean who in their right mind would buy songs? It's not like anyone listens to music anymore... right? Music is going the way of the dinosaur and will be obsolete in 5 years, I guaran-damn-tee it.

Wow! there's that sarcasm again, sorry...

MacFanatic90
Jul 6, 2005, 03:12 PM
I believe that the 'Tell a Friend' method of entering the contest may be more difficult than in the last promo. After submitting one of these emails there is no longer an option to send another one, a feature that I used quite often last time.

griz
Jul 6, 2005, 03:31 PM
You bring up a very valid point. Music is overrated anyway, y'know? I mean who in their right mind would buy songs? It's not like anyone listens to music anymore... right? Music is going the way of the dinosaur and will be obsolete in 5 years, I guaran-damn-tee it.

That wasn't my point. What I mean is why would you go buy music simply to enter the contest and have a chance of winning? I had no plans to buy new music before the contest arrived, so I'll just use the "tell a friend" option and save my money. In otherwords, I don't intend on having the contest be an excuse to get me to spend extra money I didn't plan to in the first place.

greenguy4
Jul 6, 2005, 03:51 PM
I have found that external apps or widgets (see iTMS Estimator (http://homepage.mac.com/jonn8/as/html/iTMS_Estimator.html) , iTunes 500 Million Countdown Widget (http://www.dashboardwidgets.com/showcase/details.php?wid=880), and iTunes 500M Widget (http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/wa/default?user=keithbly&templatefn=FileSharing9.html&xmlfn=TKDocument.9.xml&sitefn=RootSite.xml&aff=consumer&cty=US&lang=en)) often display much different numbers than the ones on Apple's own site. The accuracy seems to fluctuate (sometimes off by several thousand), and I wonder if any of the numbers are truly accurate, and how it would be possible to obtain the accurate number. It must have to do with the way Apple set up their counter on their site, with the Javascript and everything.

BTW, what's up with this: (from section 6 of official rules, "How to Win")

Does this mean that you can only win one or the other, or just one of each?

Yes I believe that does mean you can only win one or the other :-(

About your first point, that has really bugged me too -- I dont know how to follow because Apple will have anywhere from 500 - 3000 songs different in there counter then the iTMS Estimator... Anyone know which is accurate?

shamino
Jul 6, 2005, 05:26 PM
Well, I wouldn't start buying songs just because of the contest.

But if I'm planning to buy music anyway, the contest is a good impetus to buy them now instead of in a month or two.

As long as you buy songs you wanted all along, you're not really losing anything.

backspinner
Jul 6, 2005, 06:04 PM
Anyone know which is accurate?the graph in http://itunescount.tijdweb.nl now has a kind of estimation as well

Kal-EL
Jul 6, 2005, 06:43 PM

That wasn't my point. What I mean is why would you go buy music simply to enter the contest and have a chance of winning? I had no plans to buy new music before the contest arrived, so I'll just use the "tell a friend" option and save my money. In otherwords, I don't intend on having the contest be an excuse to get me to spend extra money I didn't plan to in the first place.
Well, I wouldn't start buying songs just because of the contest.

But if I'm planning to buy music anyway, the contest is a good impetus to buy them now instead of in a month or two.

As long as you buy songs you wanted all along, you're not really losing anything.

I understood your point but my sarcasm sometimes gets the better of me, sorry. The point I was trying to make is very similar to shamino's. People are going to buy music regardless of what promotion Apple is having at the time; and having a contest is an added bonus. True it may cause a boost in sales, and that's something Apple is counting on, but the songs I'll buy that coincide with this promotion are songs I would have purchased down the road anyway, perhaps just not this soon. Who knows? Someone may just buy a song for the sake of buying one to try and win the contest, and it's a song they never would have gotten otherwise and they end up actually liking it. Now they have a whole new artist to explore. I can understand if people just want to use the refer a friend because it's free, but buying one or two songs won't break the bank. I'm not talking about spending $100. here. And the bonus is that you get music. It's not like going out and buying 10 bags of Cheetos so you can try and get the complete set of 5 lenticular Star Wars cards. Two weeks from now you'll either have one hell of a stomach ache, or the Cheetos will be stale. Buy a song and you'll have enjoyment for years to come.
Back to your original question and my original answer:
Why would anyone buy songs?
Because they like music (and the contest is an added bonus).

elook
Jul 6, 2005, 06:50 PM
...anyone found out they won yet?

iHateWindows
Jul 6, 2005, 07:30 PM

This whole promotion is cool and it does wonders for the iTMS. I can't help wondering what Apple will have in store for the 1,000,000,000 download.

1,000,000,000 60 GB Video iPods with Steve's signature engraved on the backs of them.

$600,000,000,000 :eek: I'd be the richest man alive!

iHateWindows
Jul 6, 2005, 07:33 PM
I don't really like Coldplay.

My drum teacher says that if I ever become a famous drummer I have go give him something awesome and he's a huge Coldplay fan so if I win HE WILL FREAK OUT!

iHateWindows
Jul 6, 2005, 07:35 PM
HEY YOU GUYS I JUST WON A FREE IPOD MINI AND ITUNES CARD

aahhh just kidding. ;) :p

autrefois
Jul 6, 2005, 07:44 PM
...anyone found out they won yet?

Not yet, but I keep looking...

I'm kind of nervous that my notification will end up in my junk mail folder. I've already had a couple times when emails from Apple ended up there. I added a rule a couple weeks ago to try to prevent that from happening, but still I'm going to keep checking just in case. :)

CubaTBird
Jul 6, 2005, 09:38 PM
iWill win :cool:

artifex
Jul 6, 2005, 10:43 PM
join the club iAlan, there are still a lot of people that cant buy from the iTMS! I wish apple would get to a few other countries, there is a lot of songs that im dying to bye!!! :D :D

Why can't you buy them on CD, use iTunes to rip them, and then have a nice hard backup for when your hard drive eventually dies? It's actually cheaper in many cases, if you use online retailers, at least here in the USA.

artifex
Jul 6, 2005, 10:48 PM
Last time it updated at 5 minute intervals and then there were lots of clever people who worked out algorithms on websites to calculate how many minutes into the next 5 minutes you'd have to order to hit the 00,000 mark

The problem with that is that you also have to factor in how many other clever people there are also figuring it out, and if they are also factoring you in, etc. Plus, they're not announcing winners right away, nor are they issuing receipts immediately that say sorry, you were n-1, try again.

I'd really love to hear of anyone in the last contest who actually won by means of the email entry option. It exists, yes, but who knows how lagged their mail servers are, or how quickly they compare the inbox against the iTunes servers? :)

artifex
Jul 6, 2005, 10:56 PM

I read today at arstechnica that 12,000 iPods got stolen from a warehouse. I think, if they don't recover them all, there's going to be some cheaper iPods in general for a while. Not to mention some of the people with b&w versions of the newly colorized ones may dump theirs.

I don't care, it's nice of them to give stuff away. Though I have to admit I was a spending fool last time, over the idea of a powerbook. iTunes on Windows was my gateway drug, I bought a U2 iPod after being given a well-timed coupon to use with my student discount, and that led to me buying the mini I'm typing on now, also bought with another coupon. :)

edit: i said 120,000 originally. :) 12,000 will have a much smaller impact, unless they all go on sale on eBay. But, you know, Apple has all those serial numbers recorded somewhere, I'm sure, so if any stolen devices get registered, wham!

artifex
Jul 6, 2005, 11:04 PM
one for me
one for my son
one for my son's son

That's over a hundred years from now, most likely. Will we still be using iTunes? iPods? I hope not :)

artifex
Jul 6, 2005, 11:10 PM
WHY:

Dude, it's a concert, in England. If the band doesn't suck, who cares if you don't know them before going? you should be able to enjoy them, anyway. If you know all the songs by heart, anyway, you're not going for the music, are you?

Now imagine someone who will love Coldplay hearing them for the first time as a result of this trip. That's great. Insanely great, even.

And if the band sucks, hey, it's England! They'll be glad they got to go before the impending Olympics doubled and tripled all the prices.

katie ta achoo
Jul 7, 2005, 12:10 AM
Dude, it's a concert, in England. If the band doesn't suck, who cares if you don't know them before going? you should be able to enjoy them, anyway. If you know all the songs by heart, anyway, you're not going for the music, are you?

Now imagine someone who will love Coldplay hearing them for the first time as a result of this trip. That's great. Insanely great, even.

And if the band sucks, hey, it's England! They'll be glad they got to go before the impending Olympics doubled and tripled all the prices.

It's in England?

I was hoping I'd win, go to the concert (that I thought was in NYC), ditch the concert and go to the Soho apple store. :) :)
Coldplay is OK, but they aren't my cup of tea.
I'd still freaking love the prize, though!
yeah, I'm a goober.

artifex
Jul 7, 2005, 01:14 AM
It's in England?

I was hoping I'd win, go to the concert (that I thought was in NYC), ditch the concert and go to the Soho apple store. :) :)
Coldplay is OK, but they aren't my cup of tea.
I'd still freaking love the prize, though!
yeah, I'm a goober.

Weellllll... someone else said it was, and I believed them without checking. However:
concert tickets to a Coldplay concert at a date and location within Apple’s discretion

and it goes on to say Apple will try to work with the winner on that, so it could be NYC :)

katie ta achoo
Jul 7, 2005, 01:37 AM
and it goes on to say Apple will try to work with the winner on that, so it could be NYC :)

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!
Can I choose it to be at Steve Jobs' house?

I bet he has a sweet mac setup... and some awesome apple shirts to ...borrow...

Hooo, if (haha HA!) I won, and went to nyc, I could do college visits, iTunes winningness, and Apple Soho ALL IN ONE!

*pop*
oh, sorry. That was the sound of my brain exploding when thinking about doing viola at Julliard. ^_^

**enters 200 more times**

Whyren
Jul 7, 2005, 02:13 AM
It took a while to build, but here's the iTunes 500 Millionth Song Countdown (http://homepage.mac.com/animeniac06/itunes/) page.

I have little to no knowledge of javascript, so this is actually generated by a C++ program I wrote on my computer which generates the pages every 5 minutes. This displays the data for the last 24 hours at 10 minute intervals (the smoothest presentation I could get with the variance in Apple's counter updates) with an estimate for next 10 million based on current download rates. Should refresh every 5 minutes. Graphical alerts and iTunes links for quick access to the music store as well. Enjoy!

<!--Credit where credit is due-->
Many thanks to itunescount.tijdweb.nl (http://itunescount.tijdweb.nl/) which generates the raw data my program uses to generate the page. Try as I might, I couldn't get the XML counter to work with my program, so without this, I couldn't run the program (btw, if my use of this is a problem, let me know and I'll take the site down).

Edit: Now estimates for next 100,000...got me numbers wrong :p

backspinner
Jul 7, 2005, 02:21 AM
nice page! no problem, you can use the data from my site.

Porchland
Jul 7, 2005, 07:40 AM
Has anyone estimated the likely day of the 500 millionth download?

Kal-EL
Jul 7, 2005, 08:02 AM
GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!
Can I choose it to be at Steve Jobs' house?

I bet he has a sweet mac setup... and some awesome apple shirts to ...borrow...

That brings up an interesting, although slightly off topic, subject I've often wondered about.
What do you think Steve Jobs has as his personal computer at home and how often does he upgrade? I know he has a Mac, but do you think he has a G5 2.7 DP maxed out with memory and HD space sitting alongside a 30" Cinema Display? I mean he is Steve Jobs, and could have the newest, latest and greatest everytime it was released; but would it be worth the hassle of having to transfer all of your files from one computer to another every 6 months or so? Perhaps he has a first gen G5 2.0 DP maxed out. That is still a very solid computer and he might not see the need to upgrade everytime something new is released.
On the other hand, he might have his entire house networked utilizing Xserve and have all of his files stored on a huge multi-terabyte raid array. That would enable him to just plug and play with the new computers as they came along; and who knows? He may be running an as of yet unnanounced PowerPC upgraded Mac, or a Macintel box.

shamino
Jul 7, 2005, 11:22 AM
Why can't you buy them on CD, use iTunes to rip them, and then have a nice hard backup for when your hard drive eventually dies? It's actually cheaper in many cases, if you use online retailers, at least here in the USA.
Which is what I do (and I'm in the US). I find that the CDs I buy from BMG Music end up costing an average of about $8 per disc (including shipping) if I take advantage of the special offers they publish every month.

This is about the same price as a typical iTunes album purchase. And with typical albums containing 10-12 songs, the per-song price is significantly less than iTunes.

And, in addition to all this, you have a physical CD with better sound quality and no copy protection. And often liner notes with lyrics, pictures and commentary. And you can still use iTunes to rip the tracks for playback on the computer or on iPods.

Whyren
Jul 8, 2005, 01:46 PM
If anyone's looking for albums with lots of songs per dollar, I've got a listing of quite a few from several genres on my countdown site (see below).

ubernaut
Jul 13, 2005, 09:27 PM
Major props for all your guys hard work again. Last year i bought tracks at least a couple of times within a second or two and exactly (at least to the second anyways) for the last one (believe it or not). Alas, i've won no ipods:( And i'm too poor to buy one (too busy saving up for my next laptop:) so i'm trying again. One idea to add for the guy who made the graphs i don't know if its too hard to but it would be cool if you could do a zoom level or set the range some how. thanks again you guys rock!

uber

timmyb
Jul 16, 2005, 11:11 AM
Is it just me or has the count slowed down recently? It seemed to shoot up to 495 000 000, but I think it has slowed since.

It does point to the 500 000 000th on monday, or maybe on tuesday to coincide with new iBooks and Mac Minis.

DavidLeblond
Jul 16, 2005, 11:17 AM
BLAST! I almost got the 497,900,000th song but was thwarted by the "enter your password" (which I never usually have to do) and the "Are you SURE you want this song?" dialogs.

Freg3000
Jul 16, 2005, 11:28 AM
The slow down may just be due to the weekend.

timmyb
Jul 16, 2005, 12:33 PM
The slow down may just be due to the weekend.
Surely people would buy more at the weekend, at home with time to spare??

backspinner
Jul 16, 2005, 05:48 PM
One idea to add for the guy who made the graphs i don't know if its too hard to but it would be cool if you could do a zoom level or set the range some how.good idea, so after a whole lot of programming, the page on http://itunescount.tijdweb.nl is extended with a graph of the last 12 hours!

Lacero
Jul 16, 2005, 06:25 PM
Nearing 500 million songs, yet Apple still breaks even on iTMS. :confused:

weldon
Jul 16, 2005, 07:49 PM
I actually won an iPod in the last promo by trying to time my purchase. Of course it was pure luck that I had the winning number in that timeframe, but still...

that won't stop me from trying again!

Ja Di ksw
Jul 16, 2005, 08:02 PM
It's about to hit. Almost tempted to buy a song :).

BornAgainMac
Jul 16, 2005, 08:21 PM
I just bought about 16 songs, I know it isn't close enough to 500 million. It might only be a few more hours before someone wins when I am sleeping.

powerbook911
Jul 16, 2005, 09:29 PM
Yes, I guess it might end during the middle of the night in the United States? If so, the songs might sell at a slower rate than, if it was in prime-time as it was last year on the west coast of the United States. I don't know. Surely, during the night, or tomorrow morning, it will hit the mark.

Whyren
Jul 16, 2005, 10:58 PM
I'd tend to aim more towards Sunday late afternoon, early evening (US) for the 500,000,000 mark. It seems to be around 1.6 million songs are selling a day. But then, it's hard to say how much it will speed up. The 100 mil mark last year caused a much larger jump in downloads than in previous 100K marks, and that was with only a few countries participating.

Of course, the skeptic in me suggests that Apple could just be feeding us all inaccurate / delayed readings and all our careful download plans could be completely off. :D

Ja Di ksw
Jul 16, 2005, 11:59 PM
Of course, the skeptic in me suggests that Apple could just be feeding us all inaccurate / delayed readings and all our careful download plans could be completely off. :D

Yeah, that counter on their website isn't right, just goes at a certain pace. Of course, that means as soon as it starts to get anywhere near it we just have to buy songs constantly until the winner is announced, right?

Whyren
Jul 17, 2005, 12:05 AM
Yeah, that counter on their website isn't right, just goes at a certain pace. Of course, that means as soon as it starts to get anywhere near it we just have to buy songs constantly until the winner is announced, right?

Unfortunately, there is no real-time download counter (but that would sort of ruin the fun). Apple's counter is accurate so far as taking data from the XML counter they have, but early on in the promotion, they reprogrammed the javascript counter to make the rate 80% of what the data presents. They may have done this simply to prevent the counter from "jumping backwards", or purposefully make it inaccurate, or perhaps they have a better idea of what the rates are doing than we do.

I'd guess that the XML data is at least fairly accurate since I can't really think of a reason why Apple would purposefully mislead consumers. Plus, last year's counters and estimators turned out to be fairly accurate when compared to the actual winning download times (I believe).

Jesus
Jul 17, 2005, 04:28 AM
we're in the last 850 000 songs before the 1/2 billionth, BTW, is it the 1/2 billionth song to be purchased, or downloaded. If it is the former, then buying and album 1000 before the 1/2 billionth is pointless... :eek:

Jesus

Lacero
Jul 17, 2005, 04:34 AM
we're in the last 850 000 songs before the 1/2 billionth...Now I need God more than ever.

Lacero
Jul 17, 2005, 06:42 AM
Currrently at 499,212,600 songs sold. I think I'm going to stay up until it hits 500 million. Maybe do a screen grab and buy a song, trying to hit the magic number, since I know for sure I ain't winning the grand prize. ;)

backspinner
Jul 17, 2005, 09:25 AM
as the values of the counter come in chunks of about 5000 as you can see on http://itunescount.tijdweb.nl, I guess it's impossible to time your purchase. I hope the average line helps a little.

Sophipod
Jul 17, 2005, 09:30 AM
FIRE UP THE AMEX.....
Todays the day.
:eek:

Blue Moon
Jul 17, 2005, 03:27 PM
I'm ready to explode.....just 150,000 left... :eek:

Whyren
Jul 17, 2005, 03:33 PM
Participating in this contest and trying to limit myself to spending x-many dollars is not working very well :p

Doctor Q
Jul 17, 2005, 03:37 PM
Has anyone estimated the likely day of the 500 millionth download?Yes. Also the hour and minute.

But we don't know what delay there is between clicking "Yes, I'll buy this tune" and the registration of that purchase in the count Apple displays. Is the lag time seconds, minutes, or longer? And does it register before you download or after you download? If you buy an album, does it register n purchases all at once or does each one wait until the previous one has downloaded?

Without all these answers, we're all simply taking our best guess and shooting blind. I've had an album purchase planned for a couple of weeks, and held off buying until the 9s accumulated, just in case my timing is lucky.

Doctor Q
Jul 17, 2005, 04:02 PM
Hoo doggies!

Ge4-ce
Jul 17, 2005, 04:06 PM
It's shooting in the dark anyway..

I noticed when you click and hold the scrollbar in safari, the counter stops. It restarts when you release, but you have to refresh to get more up-to-date figures..

The iTunesMS also shows a lower value than apple.com does..

I know when I do my magic click! but I ain't gonna tell anybody... (supersticious..)

Maybe there's a nut going around somewhere who's going to buy 10 000 songs anyway, and just buys a lot of songs at once! ok, it costs him 10 grand, but he get's the 10 ipods for free! (no I am not such a nut...)

backspinner
Jul 17, 2005, 04:09 PM
with the current rate it will all be over before midnight in europe

Whyren
Jul 17, 2005, 04:14 PM
Wouldn't Apple's counter get further off theoretically as the rate increases: their 80% rate will be lower compared to previous lower download rates. Of course, this assumes there's not some important reason for the 80% download rate. Eh, it's all arbitrary anyway. Only educated guesses can be made. Likely within about 40 minutes now...

timmyb
Jul 17, 2005, 04:18 PM
Currently 22:18 in the UK, do you think it will be there by 11?

Whyren
Jul 17, 2005, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I'd say it'll be done by 11 there. Perhaps even before 10:45.
*plays driving, race-like playlist of music*

Doctor Q
Jul 17, 2005, 04:24 PM
The purchase rate has been spiking at higher and higher points.

timmyb
Jul 17, 2005, 04:24 PM
I timed it at 42 seconds for an extra 1000 songs, so the last 50 000 songs should take about half an hour, (less if the rate increass.)

DTphonehome
Jul 17, 2005, 04:25 PM
I bet it's already happened. With my 8 songs, naturally.

Doctor Q
Jul 17, 2005, 04:33 PM
I haven't looked at the Javascript myself. Will the counter stop at exactly 500,000,000 or will it keep counting until Apple pulls the plug on the page?

And if Apple changes their home page but you don't reload, will your counter keep on counting indefinitely at the last measured rate? If so, somebody could let it run on an idle computer until it reaches a billion!

Whyren
Jul 17, 2005, 04:33 PM
Whoa...major spike...

rendezvouscp
Jul 17, 2005, 04:35 PM
Currently 22:18 in the UK, do you think it will be there by 11?

Most definitely.
-Chase

timmyb
Jul 17, 2005, 04:39 PM
Most definitely.
-Chase
Yep, I think that's clear now.

Sharewaredemon
Jul 17, 2005, 04:49 PM
It stops at 500 000 000

bl0nde_uk
it's all over folks...

DTphonehome
Well, that was anticlimactic. No fireworks or nothing!

Doctor Q
Jul 17, 2005, 04:50 PM
I bought 78 songs in the last 15 minutes, spread out across that time period. Now I'll sit back and wait for my phone call from Steve Jobs. After all, he said I could "count on it" (see below).

Blue Moon
That's all she wrote.

tech4all
I wonder who won? Anybody here?

Ge4-ce
Jul 17, 2005, 04:51 PM
Godda... I was panicing at a sec..

I almost forgot my password, and it asked me.. are you sure you want to buy an album????

I almost missed it!!!

Now the real question is... Who won????

hehehe..

cool!

backspinner
well, my server is out of order :eek:

DTphonehome
So who can now plot the rate of growth since the iTMS was introduced? I'm really curious to see the current rate of growth.

Freg3000
Jul 17, 2005, 04:53 PM
I did a few tell a friend emails in the last few seconds. The Store slowed down dramatically. Apple.com also failed to load for the first time ever for me in the seconds after 500,000,000 was crossed.

Also, one of the two boxes near the bottom of the page has been replaced with an "Upgrade to Mac OS X 10.4.2" - something I don't think I've ever seen before. Pretty important upgrade if Apple is showcasing it on the main page.

mkubal
I wonder who won? Anybody here?

Certainly not me. I clicked the buy now button, logged in, then the store thought about it for a while and then gave me an error. So I missed out unless the counter was higher than what had been sold (doubt it). While it was thinking about selling me the song about 1500 songs ticked off on the counter. Thanks Apple!

mpw
it's all over folks...

How come I just visited APPLE SITE AN DTHERE'S STILL 15,000 TO GO

Loge
So, did anyone here win?

Doctor Q
Jul 17, 2005, 04:54 PM
Purchases were at a few thousand songs per minute at the end. I predict that the rate will drop off sharply now! :p

Ge4-ce
Jul 17, 2005, 04:57 PM
I don't even know where to look if you won??

I think we have to be patient...

Even if I didn't win... I still would like to know what song # I bought..

Was I close? or was it way off??

or maybe I don't want to know that...

I think we all will learn to know #500 000 000 He/She will be on some sort of a press conference..

We'll have to be patient I guess..

Blue Moon
Jul 17, 2005, 04:57 PM
So, did anyone here win?
I'll let you know. :rolleyes:

Kirbdog
Jul 17, 2005, 04:59 PM
I had to get in the mix and buy some songs near the rollover. I checked in when it was at 497 000 so I started buying. I basically bought the songs I was going to get earlier in the week. It was fun trying!

powerbook911
Jul 17, 2005, 05:01 PM
I bought 13, in the final ten minutes. This has to be pretty good odds, compared to anything else out there. I mean, within a few thousand odds isn't bad.

JonMaker
Jul 17, 2005, 05:02 PM
<New York Cop Voice>

Awright folks keep movin'... show's ova... nuffin' ta see here...

</New York Cop Voice>

Trowaman
Jul 17, 2005, 05:02 PM
Certainly not me. I clicked the buy now button, logged in, then the store thought about it for a while and then gave me an error. So I missed out unless the counter was higher than what had been sold (doubt it). While it was thinking about selling me the song about 1500 songs ticked off on the counter. Thanks Apple!

I feel your pain. exact thing happened to me. Maybe now I jsut won't buy the Long and winding Road and isntead save the QT video, extract the audio and . . . I've said too much already. ;)

JD92
Jul 17, 2005, 05:03 PM
I don't even know where to look if you won??

I think we have to be patient...

Even if I didn't win... I still would like to know what song # I bought..

Was I close? or was it way off??

or maybe I don't want to know that...

I think we all will learn to know #500 000 000 He/She will be on some sort of a press conference..

We'll have to be patient I guess..

Probably wouldnt want to know which # you downloaded, imagine having the 500,000,001st download :rolleyes:

phanofwclark
Jul 17, 2005, 05:04 PM
I think the official rules said that we should expect 3 days before the winner is announced. Similar to the last promotion, no?

Whyren
Jul 17, 2005, 05:06 PM
well, my server is out of order :eek:

And so goes my the updating of my site :)

killuminati
Jul 17, 2005, 05:07 PM
I purchased an album of 11 songs when there were just a couple hundred left till 500. If I liked U2 enough I would have gotten the Complete U2.

DTphonehome
Jul 17, 2005, 05:07 PM
<New York Cop Voice>

Awright folks keep movin'... show's ova... nuffin' ta see here...

</New York Cop Voice>

You're not from NY, are you?

backspinner
Jul 17, 2005, 05:08 PM
And so goes my the updating of my site :)
I have a backup site on http://www.squadratriathlon.nl/itunescount/ :D

The counter is still running!

jinzo012
Jul 17, 2005, 05:08 PM
500 MILLION!!!! W00T! (That is, if I win)

If not.............*******!! OFF *****R ********R!!!!

Whyren
Jul 17, 2005, 05:12 PM
I have a backup site on http://www.squadratriathlon.nl/itunescount/ :D

The counter is still running!

Heh heh...'kay, so my site's updating for a while longer anyway.

EDIT AGAIN: Ack, I'm just gonna get a snapshot of the 500 mil mark and leave it at that...my program's getting ornary, and miscalculated the rates :rolleyes:

Doctor Q
Jul 17, 2005, 05:25 PM
I was impressed that, despite selling something like 150 songs per second near the end, Apple's servers kept up when I went to my shopping cart or tried searching the store, and downloads were not noticeably slower than usual.

Correction to my earlier claim to have purchased 78 songs: My wife wanted one, just to have particpated, so we bought one more for a total of 79. I'm 78 times more likely to win that she is, but you never know! :D

Whyren
Jul 17, 2005, 05:32 PM
I was impressed that, despite selling something like 150 songs per second near the end, Apple's servers kept up when I went to my shopping cart or tried searching the store, and downloads were not noticeably slower than usual.

Correction to my earlier claim to have purchased 78 songs: My wife wanted one, just to have particpated, so we bought one more for a total of 79. I'm 78 times more likely to win that she is, but you never know! :D

Very true. I recall last year the iTMS began blacking out at 100,000 marks. Kudos to Apple for their server stability.

steve jr.
Jul 17, 2005, 05:38 PM
I think the official rules said that we should expect 3 days before the winner is announced. Similar to the last promotion, no?

The rules say " Apple will notify winners by e-mail and/or by post at the address provided within approximately three (3) days following selection of each winner. Apple is not responsible for any delay or failure to receive notification for any reason, including inactive e-mail account(s), technical difficulties associated therewith, or winner’s failure to adequately monitor any e-mail account or physical address. The winner must then respond to Apple within five (5) days. Should the winner fail to respond to Apple or be disqualified, Apple reserves the right to select a new, replacement winner. The replacement winner will be the entrant whose Entry was timed at immediately after the previous winner’s Entry. The winners will be listed online at http://www.apple.com/itunes/ within ten (10) days following the End Date. Individuals may request the name of the winners by submitting a self-addressed, stamped envelope before December 31, 2005 to: iTunes500 Contest, 1 Infinite Loop, MS: 60-ITMS, Cupertino, California, 95014, United States. By participating, you agree to Apple’s inclusion of your first name on such list if you are a winner."

I did "Tell a friend" since they started the promotion. It was really hard to judge. It is hard to tell when they take the entry, even for downloading. Is it from the time you click buy (right then) and it starts automatically and with the tell a friend, is it as soon as you press send, or is it when you get the "your message has been sent?"

backspinner
Jul 17, 2005, 05:39 PM
apple uses better servers than I do, maybe I should start saving for a Xserve...

steve jr.
Jul 17, 2005, 05:50 PM
I WON!!! I BLOODY FRICKEN WON!!! I JUST GOT THE CALL!!!! YES!!!!

steve jr.
Jul 17, 2005, 05:50 PM
na, I really didn't. I just had to do that though. Haha. Sorry guys! :D

killuminati
Jul 17, 2005, 06:32 PM
na, I really didn't. I just had to do that though. Haha. Sorry guys! :D

good one :rolleyes:

NVRsayNVR
Jul 17, 2005, 06:33 PM
I hope I'm the lucky drooler to win this contest. After buying another 159 songs today and about 650+ tunes over the past three months it would be GR8!!!! If not at least new mini would due.

How many songs did you purchase during this contest?

"Think Alike - BE Different!"

Blue Moon
Jul 17, 2005, 07:09 PM
LAWD, the suspense is killin' me! :p

Whyren
Jul 17, 2005, 07:35 PM
Well, it appears Apple stopped updating their XML counter shortly after the 500 mil mark.

Zman5225
Jul 17, 2005, 08:15 PM
I hope I'm the lucky drooler to win this contest. After buying another 159 songs today and about 650+ tunes over the past three months it would be GR8!!!! If not at least new mini would due.

How many songs did you purchase during this contest?

"Think Alike - BE Different!"

wow 650+ tunes?! That's a lot of cash, I was thinking I was going crazy with 10!

!!!!Z

anodized
Jul 17, 2005, 08:24 PM
They already posted the winners...

http://www.apple.com/itunes/500million/

iSaint
Jul 17, 2005, 08:33 PM
any MacRumors members?

CubaTBird
Jul 17, 2005, 08:37 PM
woot! greg karukus! good jazz stuff... :cool:

Switzermac
Jul 17, 2005, 08:43 PM
Their is a mistake on the web site it says 500000000 songs were sold on the 17th of may.

Lacero
Jul 17, 2005, 08:45 PM
I was impressed that, despite selling something like 150 songs per second near the end, Apple's servers kept up when I went to my shopping cart or tried searching the store, and downloads were not noticeably slower than usual.That's some crazy bandwidth.

steve jr.
Jul 17, 2005, 08:54 PM
The winners list is up. I'm not on it. Good luck to the rest of you! But, I'm sure if you knew you won, we would already know ;)

http://www.apple.com/itunes/500million/

Edit:: Never mind. Guess I wasn't fast enough posting and didn't see it was already there.

Whyren
Jul 17, 2005, 09:34 PM
Few still unclaimed...interesting that no tell-a-friends made it on the list this year.

steve jr.
Jul 17, 2005, 09:56 PM
interesting that no tell-a-friends made it on the list this year.

Unless they just listed what song/album they "told" about.

anodized
Jul 17, 2005, 10:08 PM
The grand winner won on a one-song album! :eek:
What are the chances of winning on that?!

steve jr.
Jul 17, 2005, 10:22 PM
Well, I went through and counted the number of winners. Apple says in the official rules of the game:
"Promotion Description. The 500 Millionth Download Promotion (the “Promotion”) is a sweepstakes promotion in which entrants downloading songs through the iTunes Music Store (“iTunes”) will be eligible to win one (1) of 199 iPod minis (4GB model) and one (1) of 199 iTunes song code cards for redemption of fifty (50) songs from iTunes (“iPod mini/50-song card Prize”) (total approx. retail value: U.S. $248.50), or the one (1) grand prize described below (“Grand Prize”):"

As of 11:20P.M. EST, (my time where I live) the iTunes winner list only has 187 listed winners, including the Grand prize winner. Hope this helps. There is still hope and one last chance for us all! :D Good Luck! It's not over yet!

killuminati
Jul 17, 2005, 10:44 PM
So what were your closest download times? The 500 song was downloaded at 14:44. My closest song was at 14:48. So I was off by only 4 minutes :( .

Lacero
Jul 17, 2005, 10:48 PM
So what were your closest download times? The 500 song was downloaded at 14:44. My closest song was at 14:48. So I was off by only 4 minutes :( .According to Dr. Q's calculation per second of songs sold, you were only off by about 36,000 songs.

killuminati
Jul 17, 2005, 10:57 PM
According to Dr. Q's calculation per second of songs sold, you were only off by about 36,000 songs.

Wow. 36,000 songs in 4 minutes. That's a hell of a lot.

Whyren
Jul 17, 2005, 11:30 PM
So what were your closest download times? The 500 song was downloaded at 14:44. My closest song was at 14:48. So I was off by only 4 minutes :( .

I had at least three songs downloaded at 14:44, but then, download rates were in the thousands per minute.

Doctor Q
Jul 18, 2005, 12:12 AM
The 500 song was downloaded at 14:44. My closest song was at 14:48. So I was off by only 4 minutes :( .I bought one at 14:42, as the counter passed 499,984,000, and one at 14:46, as the counter passed 499,994,000. I had purposely tried the n+4000 intervals as my plan (lacking any evidence that any particular plan was best). Looks like the counter was at about 499,989,000 when the winning purchase was made.

So I wasn't as lucky as I'd hoped, but my strategy wasn't bad in hindsight. I'll simply have to win my 10,000 tunes next time they have a contest instead.

Lacero
Jul 18, 2005, 12:45 AM
I bought one at 14:42, as the counter passed 499,984,000, and one at 14:46, as the counter passed 499,994,000.So Dr Q., care to tell us what songs you bought?