Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yano729

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
if it has the Retina Screen, I mean once you get one and start using this thing, and then hold it up to you laptop or tv it kicks ass. If apple doesn't include a retina screen in either the Macbook Airs or the Pros, I think they will be doing themselves a great disservice.

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
/thread.

..lots of other treads are talking about this and other possible updates to the Airs and Pros.

Thank you marcovortex. The internet is certainly a lot safer because of self-appointed internet policemen such as yourself.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Thank you marcovortex. The internet is certainly a lot safer because of self-appointed internet policemen such as yourself.

Lmao. Well said.

I have the new iPad and the retina display is certainly stunning. But it's not that big of a deal for me to get that sort of resolution on my iMac or MBA. I don't use either at the same viewing distance as my iPad, so the difference wouldn't be huge.

Now the color gamut on the other hand ... absolutely stunning on the iPad.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Retina is great on the iPad but a laptop is used for different purposes so since it will likely cost tons of battery power then it's just not worth the trade off.

Obviously if we can get both retina and battery life I want it all but that's a big IF.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Retina is great on the iPad but a laptop is used for different purposes so since it will likely cost tons of battery power then it's just not worth the trade off.

Obviously if we can get both retina and battery life I want it all but that's a big IF.

They managed it for the iPad...

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
It will break ALOT of important software

Almost everything by the major producers. Microsoft,adobe, and auto desk. Because of that. Laptops will be the last to go HiDPI. And when it does happen all that pirated booty you have will stop working properly.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Almost everything by the major producers. Microsoft,adobe, and auto desk. Because of that. Laptops will be the last to go HiDPI. And when it does happen all that pirated booty you have will stop working properly.
Pirated booty? XD

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Pixel density doesn't need to be as high on your laptop because you (should) position your head considerably farther away than you do with your iPad.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Pixel density doesn't need to be as high on your laptop because you (should) position your head considerably farther away than you do with your iPad.

I agree, but the double sized HiDPI textures indicates they might do the same pixel doubling as they did on iOS. That would allow legacy software to continue to work with existing graphics, but the fonts automatically upgraded. It seems odd that going way beyond the retina threshold is an easier option than matching it, but that appears to be the way.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I just got an iPad 3 yesterday and I definitely notice more graininess when I go back to my 13" MBA :(

I wonder if OSX could handle higher resolutions of a retina display. I know Windows handles higher resolution displays pretty poorly. The most annoying part being the miniaturized text.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
I just got an iPad 3 yesterday and I definitely notice more graininess when I go back to my 13" MBA :(

I wonder if OSX could handle higher resolutions of a retina display. I know Windows handles higher resolution displays pretty poorly. The most annoying part being the miniaturized text.

Its not poor handling by Windows or any other OS. Some people want the smaller text and have more working space on a High Res screen.

If its too small for you, go and change the DPI aspect (thats what I did for my dad who like the High Res screen sharpness on a Full HD Thinkpad, but wanted the controls to be bigger).

FeaRThiS

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
At the end of the day all screens are going to keep on evolving this includes laptops desktops tvs. Go have a look for super hd tv tot see the things that are coming soon.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
If its too small for you, go and change the DPI aspect (thats what I did for my dad who like the High Res screen sharpness on a Full HD Thinkpad, but wanted the controls to be bigger).

Some web pages won't allow you to bump to text size up in Windows (or it doesn't work for whatever reason.)

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
Some web pages won't allow you to bump to text size up in Windows (or it doesn't work for whatever reason.)

1st - Are you talking about Windows & Apps? - Answer I mentioned above
OR
2nd - Web pages inside a browser installed on Windows? - Soln: All browsers can be adjusted for default sizing based on preference or can be conveniently zoomed in and out with a simple mouse scroll.

Just because you do not know how, does not mean it cannot do so.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
1st - Are you talking about Windows & Apps? - Answer I mentioned above
OR
2nd - Web pages inside a browser installed on Windows? - Soln: All browsers can be adjusted for default sizing based on preference or can be conveniently zoomed in and out with a simple mouse scroll.

Just because you do not know how, does not mean it cannot do so.

I know what I'm doing, some pages in Windows (as I mentioned in my previous post) do not respond to zooming. Bumping up the default font size screws up how all pages look and is not a good solution. I didn't post here to get into an argument. I was making a larger point that operating systems are not currently set up to handle high resolution displays.

Last edited:

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
I know what I'm doing, some pages in Windows (as I mentioned in my previous post) do not respond to zooming. Bumping up the default font size screws up how all pages look and is not a good solution. I didn't post here to get into an argument. I was making a larger point that operating systems are not currently set up to handle high resolution displays.

Its not about argument. You make blanket statements without any specifics in a vague manner.

When you make a statement like that please back it up.

I have been using High-Resolution only for years. 2560 x 1600 on 30" LCD, QXGA on Thinkpad 15" and similar machines with Max Resolutions. I've run Windows and OSX & Hackintosh OSX on most.

Used most browsers and plenty of web browsing & development. I have not found any issues that hint to what you say.

If you do have such a predominant experience then please DO SHARE with us. I'd like to actually see what "major" issues you are facing with high res on OSes.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
They managed it for the iPad...

Yes, with a battery that is much larger than the iPad2 and, iirc, it's has a similar capacity to the 11" MBA.

There is a lot more going on in a laptop than in a tablet and the CPU/GPU uses a lot more power in comparison, so where could they get a larger, improved battery from? It is certainly a technical challenge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.