Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CT068

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
This is my first post on this site, sorry if I make mistakes!

My high school has a macbook loan program and at the end of it we are allowed to buy our computers from the school for $200. This computer is a white, plastic macbook. The OS is "Version 10.6.4" and it has a "2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo" processor and "2GB 1067 MHz DDR3" memory.

It comes with various applications like Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Adobe Reader, Photoshop, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Audacity, etc... Furthermore, the tech office will update all of these applications and the OS (nothing has been updated in 2 years because the computer has been locked by the tech office).

My question is this: if you were about to head to college in the fall and looking for a laptop to bring with you, would you take this deal or buy a new macbook?

I anticipate that I will use it mainly for surfing the web, email, word processing, listening to music, and downloading/watching movies, etc...

Thanks!

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Slightly worse model then my current Macbook (only in CPU Clock speed) and I’ve gotten along fine on it the last 2 years of University (had the iMac this year) doing much more intensive things then you have planned. For only $200 it’s a steal. Especially since, if you really wanted to, you could upgrade the RAM and Hard Drive for less than the cost of a new computer (and certainly less than a new mac). I say go for it.

CT068

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Thanks so much everyone! I'm going to buy the computer from the school!

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
If I were you I would take the deal. $200 is a great price for any MB and it will do what you need it to at university. Plus because its such a low price you can use some of the money you would have spent on a new machine and max out the RAM which I believe is 6GB for that model and you can drop in a nice 240GB SSD, I recommend the Intel 520, I just put one in my MBP and its amazing! Intel is one of the premium brands and you can get one for $350, and it will make the machine operate like new!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.