Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NSiebenmor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Savannah GA
I'm running Tiger on my Powermac dual 2.0 RevC G5 and have had a lot of issues with sleep mode. Occasionally when I put it to sleep the fans will start to run at full speed and keep running for about 5-10min before the computer shuts off. They run so fast they sound like they're going to shoot out of the tower. I thought maybe they're cooling the processors down first but sometimes it doesn't do it when I've been running a processor intense program like photoshop, but it does when my computers just been sitting. Also, I'll come into the room I keep the computer in and it already woke up. So sometimes it doesn't even stay in sleep mode. I'll mention this too, I have to close itunes before I put it to sleep or sometimes it crashes after I wake the computer. And yes, I have the preferences set right. Does anyone have any advice about what's going on? thanks

Nick

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
I've been having similar issues, though i think it's due to an SATA card I installed. I'll put it to sleep and it'll sit there for about 5 minutes before it actually goes to sleep. And then half the time it does go to sleep, when I wake it up it immediately kernal panics.

I'm running a revA dual 2Ghz.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I had a RevA Powermac that had random "Fan of Death" issues until I installed this update: Power Mac G5 Firmware Update V 5.1.4. It has been running for 8 months and no problems so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.