Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tianuk3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Hello all!

So, I upgraded my mid-2010 Macbook Pro with Lion at Xmas time as I went to visit my brother and he has an authentic Family Pack copy. However I now have no access to this as he is in a different country.

I wished to upgrade my HDD and I currently use Time Machine to keep a backup of my system.

Here is my question: If I wanted to swap my current HDD with a larger capacity one and were to install it, would I be able to install the MAC OS from the Time Machine or is that just for files (not OS). I obviously still have the 10.6 Snow Leopard or whatever it is called OS disc to hand however would that make my system incompatible?

I really want to keep 10.7 on my system but also need a larger HDD and my brother bought the family pack version for the specific reason of providing us all with the latest MAC OS so I really don't want to have to fork out for my own 10.7 when my brother has already paid for it.

Any suggestions?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a 1:1 copy of your old HDD onto the new HDD in an external enclosure for 2.5" S-ATA HDDs
After that you put the new HDD into the MBP and boot from it and you can use the old HDD in that enclosure for additional data storage or backup purposes.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
  • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
  • 1. Getting a new HDD
  • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
  • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
  • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

tianuk3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a 1:1 copy of your old HDD onto the new HDD in an external enclosure for 2.5" S-ATA HDDs
After that you put the new HDD into the MBP and boot from it and you can use the old HDD in that enclosure for additional data storage or backup purposes.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
  • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
  • 1. Getting a new HDD
  • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
  • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
  • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

I stupidly did not think of that. Thank you so much for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.