PDA

View Full Version : iOS 6: My hopes

Pages : [1] 2

bisnicks
Apr 22, 2012, 01:05 PM
I know this has been done before and again, but I do enjoy reading everyone's suggestions as to what could be added or implemented into iOS 6. Hopefully you'll do the same with mine.

I know some of these are corrected through jailbreak apps, but I don't want to have to jailbreak to get these basic features. Also, Android is not for me, I prefer the stability of iOS, please don't suggest I switch to it if I want some of the features. While I'm sure there are plenty more features that could be tweaked or added that I overlooked, I think this is a good place to start.

✔ 1.) Maps Overhaul

Let's put it this way. Maps on iOS sucks. Something that is used so heavily by users and it's been pretty much neglected save for a few new features along the way. Let's hope Apple puts their acquisitions of several mapping companies to use. The anonymous traffic data they've collected may also prove to be an extraordinary feature. The addition of a turn by turn navigation is needed. I've used it on Android and it's the one thing I actually envy Android users for. I think Apple should still rely on some of Google's mapping data, but implement some of their own for different layers. I'd like to see terrain view and interior room view added as well. Small but really annoying thing I've noticed is when you double tap the location arrow to see which way you're facing on a map is that as soon as you move the map around, it switches out of that mode.

http://i.imgur.com/5gDjo.png

✔ 2.) UI refresh
Let's face it, the iOS UI has been, for the most part, untouched since it's introduction in 2007. As a user since 2007, the UI is really starting to feel old. Apple has redone some UI elements to freshen things up (the switches are no longer squares but round pegs, etc.), but I think a system wide UI refresh is in order. Obviously the framework should remain the same as it has worked well, but visually it could use an overhaul. Elements such as buttons, switches, sliders, etc could use new shading, color, and other tweaks to freshen things up. New animations would be welcome as well.

✔ 3.) More sharing integration
With iOS 5, Apple introduced the ability to share with Twitter. That's great and all, but most users arguably use Facebook more often. Facebook integration is a no brainer. Other services such as Flickr should also be considered.

http://www.simonblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Fusion-Screenshot.jpg

✔ 4.) Siri enhancements
Siri is a great tool. The problem is, Siri is slightly too limited. I want Siri to be able to open applications, change settings, work with 3rd party applications, and more. (without jailbreaking) Siri is still in beta, so I hope that these features are in the pipeline.

http://i.imgur.com/OCbUe.png

http://i.imgur.com/eKFBo.png

5.) Notification Center enhancements
Notification Center was a major addition to iOS 5. 3rd party devs should be able to create widgets for their applications that can be enabled by users. Second, the ability to toggle brightness, wifi, bluetooth, etc should also be an option for users to enable.

http://i.imgur.com/qtDJb.png

6.) Notifications in Status bar
One of my BIGGEST annoyances with iOS is the notification system. It improved greatly in iOS 5, but I want the ability for apps to display an icon in the status bar at the top of the screen. I want an envelope to show when I have new email. I want an "f" to show when I have a facebook notification, I want to see an icon that notifies that my phone is on silent, etc. This is already possible by jailbreaking but it really should be an option for users to enable. When users have more than 3 different notifications, a circle with a number could show up so that the bar does not become cluttered.

http://i.imgur.com/fbgwm.png

7.) A Camera with basic settings
I know Apple is all about simplicity with its software but there is no reason I shouldn't be able to do basic tweaks (brightness, contrast, saturation). I would also love the ability to take video/ photos in different resolutions. iPhoto and the Camera should be integrated standard. Obviously camera application opening speeds and overall snapping pictures should remain speedy if not speedier.

✔ 8.) Cart in iTunes store and App store
It annoys me to no end having to get an app off the app store. I think a shopping cart would be a great addition. Purchasing them in bulk would make it much less tedious having to type passwords in multiple times and reentering the app store application. This should also apply for music.

9.) Better Usage meters
With the carriers ditching unlimited plans for tiered data plans, this is a necessity. Data is easily consumed (especially over 4G) nowadays and there should be a built in usage monitor. Alerts should also be able to be set up so that users don't accidentally go over their limits.

10.) Group texts
Group texts can be extremely helpful or extremely annoying. I should be able to opt out of group texts if I no longer want to be sent them. My phone has been bombed by group texts so many times. With iMessage, this should be possible.

11.) Album improvements
I want to be able to move photos/ videos between albums on iOS. Not copy.

12.) Better app switching
I double tap to see what apps are running and to switch between them. Apple is wasting screen real-estate by using only the bottom 1/5 of the screen. App icons aren't nearly helpful as live previews like webOS' cards. I want to see the space used more effectively. As far as it being implemented on the iPhone and the smaller screen real estate for previews, Apple could place a small app icon at the bottom of each preview as it does in Expose in OSX.

http://www.ijailbreak.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/4d2de880dfa86.png

http://www.multifl0w.com/images/ss_multifl0wv2_1.png

13.) Ability to delete and re-download stock iOS apps.
Not all of us are stock brokers. Why can't I delete the app? I really don't use the compass. Can't I get rid of it? iOS needs to allow users to delete their stock applications. Apple should put the stock applications on the app store so if I ever get into stocks, I can put it back on my phone. This would also allow Apple to update the stock apps without pushing out a new iOS update.

14.) Widgets
Widgets can be extremely handy for quick access to information. The ability for users to add widgets really should be there.

✔15.) Youtube
This app is so out of date and the UI is showing age. A complete revamp is in order. Perhaps hand Google the reigns so that it could be more similar to the Android version? A major problem with the application is not being able to share links unless you send it as an email, copy the link out of the email, then you have access to it.

16.) Fix Spellcheck/ Autocorrect
When you have sites such as damnyouautocorrect.com, you may want to work on autocorrect.

✔ 17.) Music app overhaul
For a company that changed the music industry, the music app sure is dull. It works well compared to any other mobile OS, but I can't help but to feel bored with it. Coverflow which was impressive back when the iPhone first launched has lost it's shine. I feel that the orientation could be put to better use.

Small fixes

-When typing (notably in Messages) a large amount of text, the text box expands to the point where the message window is cut down to a tiny sliver that makes it a pain to read the text you were responding to. Text in the text box should become scrollable after a certain point so that the view window doesn't become too obstructed.

✔ -Allow notifications to be shared to devices over bluetooth.

-Weather icon should show weather and temp based on current location

-Add more features to weather application such as radar

-Include more wallpapers

✔ -Allow more than 5 pictures to be copied at a time in Photos app

lifeguard
Apr 22, 2012, 02:07 PM
Those are all great suggestions for ios6, can you answer this though? Why did this deserve a new thread instead of being added to the 15 other threads about the same thing?

lordofthereef
Apr 22, 2012, 02:25 PM
Those are all great suggestions for ios6, can you answer this though? Why did this deserve a new thread instead of being added to the 15 other threads about the same thing?

let's be honest. Look at almost any new thread that pops up any day. The vast majority of them are rehashes of other threads. Very few threads are a completely fresh topic that has never been discussed before.

bisnicks
Apr 22, 2012, 02:36 PM
Sorry guys, no intent to spam the forum.

ajvizzgamer101
Apr 22, 2012, 02:57 PM
UI is fine. They make small UI updates because people don't like change.(Facebook)

I rather a faster camera app than a bloated one. iPhoto takes care of the filters and stuff.

Adding to the cart idea, I would like to add games to my wishlist.

Widgets, bleh... they are useless. I do how ever want Weather displayed on the lockscreen for quick look.

ECUpirate44
Apr 22, 2012, 02:59 PM
UI is fine. They make small UI updates because people don't like change.(Facebook)

I rather a faster camera app than a bloated one. iPhoto takes care of the filters and stuff.

Adding to the cart idea, I would like to add games to my wishlist.

Widgets, bleh... they are useless. I do how ever want Weather displayed on the lockscreen for quick look.

Agree with you on this one. Widgets are useless to me.

Spectrum Abuser
Apr 22, 2012, 03:56 PM
I've been using iOS since it was still called iPhone OS 2.0 and the UI does not bother me at all. In my eyes I can't see anything wrong with it.

WeegieMac
Apr 22, 2012, 04:17 PM
My one main hope for iOS 6 is that it works on the iPhone 4 as well as iOS 5 does.

I'm not holding my breath though, so I expect to be enjoying iOS 6 in all it's glory on my iPad only.

lynkynpark86
Apr 22, 2012, 04:33 PM
Sorry guys, no intent to spam the forum.

This really does deserve it's own thread. Many people just make a thread to say one or two features they want. This is the best iOS6 thread I've seen.

saud0488
Apr 22, 2012, 04:36 PM

Facebook is a terrible example. Facebook should be an example for why they should/could change it. People moan and b***h about it for a week or so and then shut up and get used to it.

FlatlinerG
Apr 22, 2012, 04:49 PM
I agree with the UI responses so far, I've been using iOS since the early 1.x days on my 1st gen iPod Touch and love the fact that it's been so consistent.

I don't see iOS 6 as being a huge change. They just made a pretty significant jump between 4 and 5 and continuing to do too much could result in some negativity. I'm hoping that they, more or less, just continue to fix any of the weird oddities and improve on the great features that they already have.

Ability to remove some of the preinstalled apps could be nice though...

Reach9
Apr 22, 2012, 10:17 PM
Apple hates Facebook (Ping), and due to their privacy issues, the average user should as well. There are so many social networking sites out now, Apple can't allow sharing with all of them..just imagine how many there will be in 2 years!

I think twitter is the best choice because of the quick and easy sharing..also no privacy issues yet!

rorschach
Apr 22, 2012, 11:08 PM
Apple hates Facebook (Ping), and due to their privacy issues, the average user should as well. There are so many social networking sites out now, Apple can't allow sharing with all of them..just imagine how many there will be in 2 years!

I think twitter is the best choice because of the quick and easy sharing..also no privacy issues yet!

I'm betting there will be some sort of "sharing" API introduced in iOS 6 since Mountain Lion has/is getting one.

rikscha
Apr 23, 2012, 04:08 AM
16.) Fix Spellcheck
When you have sites such as damnyouautocorrect.com, you may want to work on autocorrect.

This would probably be one of the more important one's. They actually made a step back since iOS5.
I am not talking about these (fake) autocorrect websites where people make up things most of the time.
Autocorrect will now often 'autocorrect' very frequently used words which I did not spell wrong - words that have not been corrected in iOS 4 before. The problem is even worse when switching my keyboard to other languages than English.

DavoteK
Apr 23, 2012, 04:40 AM
@bisnicks - Nicely put together post man. Some great ideas I'd like to see implemented, but not the major overhauls.

The best changes that have to come to iOS has been the changes to MacOSX, well, will be in Mountain Lion. The synchronisation between Mac and iPhone/iPad is already good with contacts, calendar, etc, but the extras being added in 10.8 complete the job.

I think a lot of your requests/ideas stem from boredom instead of functionality. If it ain't broke an' all that.

Notification Center was a major addition to iOS 5. 3rd party devs should be able to create widgets for their applications that can be enabled by users. Second, the ability to toggle brightness, wifi, bluetooth, etc should also be an option for users to enable.

10.) Group texts
Group texts can be extremely helpful or extremely annoying. I should be able to opt out of group texts if I no longer want to be sent them. My phone has been bombed by group texts so many times. With iMessage, this should be possible.

I double tap to see what apps are running and to switch between them. Apple is wasting screen real-estate by using only the bottom 1/5 of the screen. App icons aren't nearly helpful as live previews like webOS' cards. I want to see the space used more effectively.

Not all of us are stock brokers. Why can't I delete the app? I really don't use the compass. Can't I get rid of it? iOS needs to allow users to delete their stock applications. Apple should put the stock applications on the app store so if I ever get into stocks, I can put it back on my phone. This would also allow Apple to update the stock apps without pushing out a new iOS update.

Point 5, currently the only reason I'd contemplate jailbreaking. The prior reason was notifications on the home screen and a few other features that were brought in with iOS5. The toggles on the notification center. Pull down, pull a touch more and tap or swipe to enable/disable.

Point 10, urgh, I am in a couple of group chats that a couple of younger family members have added me to. I feel like I'm deciphering code. But yeah, opt out button, NOW!

Point 12, I was a big fan of WebOS and thought that would be the main competitor for iOS. It wipes the floor with Android and the Synergy cloud setup was ahead of its time. Hey, they took the banner notifications, why not the cards :)

Point 13 is excellent, best one on the list IMO. I'd love to be able to ditch the majority of the stock apps and re-acquire as and when needed.

jlnr
Apr 23, 2012, 05:10 AM
The synchronisation between Mac and iPhone/iPad is already good with contacts, calendar, etc, but the extras being added in 10.8 complete the job.

I have yet to see any third-party developer support iCloud. Apple is apparently still clueless as to where users should store there photos. Maybe iWork will be in the cloud, but isn't that about it?

jlnr
Apr 23, 2012, 05:25 AM

That is exactly why Apple introduced ShareKit on OS X - which unifies everything *except* Facebook now. m( (Is the facepalm emoticon even popular outside of Germany?

Yeah...except that everything is public, and when you delete your account or just a tweet you regret, it is forever mirrored by a thousand terrible tweet-munging web 2.0 services.

DavoteK
Apr 23, 2012, 05:42 AM
I have yet to see any third-party developer support iCloud. Apple is apparently still clueless as to where users should store there photos. Maybe iWork will be in the cloud, but isn't that about it?

I know where I want to store my photos, on my Mac haha.

While iCloud is great for things like iOS backups and the synchronisation across devices (Macs included), I wouldn't ever rely on it as my one and only solution, so therefore only use it for convenience sake.

If its worth keeping, it ain't staying solely on iCloud, it will be on my Mac and subsequently backed up via time machine as well.

Not sure, with the apps I use, how much use iCloud integration would be.

jlnr
Apr 23, 2012, 07:27 AM
If its worth keeping, it ain't staying solely on iCloud, it will be on my Mac and subsequently backed up via time machine as well.

There's no contradiction in that. So far, nothing is only on iCloud, except your database of purchases. Photos could well be on iCloud, completely synced with your Mac and thus in Time Machine, just like your contacts and calendars.

I agree with you, I want my photos to be on my computer primarily. But then why does Apple release iPhoto for iOS in 2012 with features that the Mac version is still missing? Why not move the iPhoto library into the cloud and sync changes from both sides so that I can at least use both sides' features on the same database? And then there is Photo Stream, which is not *really* synced across devices, and which is an anti-social parallel world to the old iPhoto Album Feeds.

I am not sure if Apple will manage to tie up all the loose ends.

DavoteK
Apr 23, 2012, 08:37 AM
There's no contradiction in that. So far, nothing is only on iCloud, except your database of purchases. Photos could well be on iCloud, completely synced with your Mac and thus in Time Machine, just like your contacts and calendars.

I agree with you, I want my photos to be on my computer primarily. But then why does Apple release iPhoto for iOS in 2012 with features that the Mac version is still missing? Why not move the iPhoto library into the cloud and sync changes from both sides so that I can at least use both sides' features on the same database? And then there is Photo Stream, which is not *really* synced across devices, and which is an anti-social parallel world to the old iPhoto Album Feeds.

I am not sure if Apple will manage to tie up all the loose ends.
Funnily enough I've just bought another Mac and the whole iPhoto database is a bit of an issue as I don't want two databases running.

I don't use Photostream (currently, probably will now it allows the delete from stream option otherwise some random crap is gonna be stored that I don't want), I prefer plugging in and importing manually. Feels like I'm more organised then because I can tag it all properly, descriptions, update the location data if its off etc. Yes, a bit OCD, but looks good in the end :)

iPhoto in the cloud? 10k photos, no thanks haha.

jlnr
Apr 23, 2012, 09:01 AM
I don't use Photostream (currently, probably will now it allows the delete from stream option otherwise some random crap is gonna be stored that I don't want), ...

iPhoto in the cloud? 10k photos, no thanks haha.

Photo Stream deletions are only local. If you delete them on the Mac, they are still on the iPhone. :(

Anyway, my situation is really similar to yours. I am taking another route and preparing to move all my stuff on Dropbox, 50GB are enough for my library and it'll still be in Time Machine. I just cannot use iPhoto on either platform anymore :/

AlphaVictor87
Apr 23, 2012, 09:28 AM
2.) UI refresh
Let's face it, the iOS UI has been, for the most part, untouched since it's introduction in 2007. As a user since 2007, the UI is really starting to feel old. Apple has redone some UI elements to freshen things up (the switches are no longer squares but round pegs, etc.), but I think a system wide UI refresh is in order. Obviously the framework should remain the same as it has worked well, but visually it could use an overhaul.

They did do a slight change to the main screen UI in iOS 4 i believe the change was to give the bottom 4 apps sitting on a shelf rather than in a grey space. But i would agree another refresh would be good, not sure what they would do though.

One of my BIGGEST annoyances with iOS is the notification system. It improved greatly in iOS 5, but I want the ability for apps to display an icon in the status bar at the top of the screen. I want an envelope to show when I have new email. I want an "f" to show when I have a facebook notification, I want to see an icon that notifies that my phone is on silent, etc. This is already possible by jailbreaking but it really should be an option for users to enable.

This would be great. To be honest i had always thought there was a icon to show it was on silent. For something so simple i'm surprised they didn't show it. I never realized i have to turn my phone to the side to make sure its on silent or not when i could just look at the screen if they included an icon.

I would say rather than a notification symbol for each app, a better idea would just to be a red circle with a number of notifications in it. If you had a symbol for each app it would get crowded quick.

9.) Better Usage meters
With the carriers ditching unlimited plans for tiered data plans, this is a necessity. Data is easily consumed (especially over 4G) nowadays and there should be a built in usage monitor. Alerts should also be able to be set up so that users don't accidentally go over their limits.

Most carriers have apps (My AT&T, My Verizon, ect) that you can use to get your usage. The phone usage would be skewed because its going to count data even when you are on wifi which doesn't count against your plan, so it is not representative of your data usage.

I double tap to see what apps are running and to switch between them. Apple is wasting screen real-estate by using only the bottom 1/5 of the screen. App icons aren't nearly helpful as live previews like webOS' cards. I want to see the space used more effectively.

I'll agree with this one, though i don't know what they would do. Something like they have on the iPad with the 4 finger swipe would be great. Maybe a 3 finger swipe?

YES YES YES YES YES

16.) Fix Spellcheck

You can turn auto correct off independent of spell check.

All my replies are in bold in the quote

I think the other points that i didn't comment on are interesting but not a must in my mind or something i felt i needed to comment on. However as others have said, a very good, thought out post as opposed to some other "iOS 6" posts that just say "what do you think will be different?"

DavoteK
Apr 23, 2012, 09:55 AM
Photo Stream deletions are only local. If you delete them on the Mac, they are still on the iPhone. :(
Ah, guess I'll be still passing on Photostream then.

Anyway, my situation is really similar to yours. I am taking another route and preparing to move all my stuff on Dropbox, 50GB are enough for my library and it'll still be in Time Machine. I just cannot use iPhoto on either platform anymore :/
Think I'll probably rely on the iMac to be the central iPhoto library. Was gonna store it on a NAS, but thats no use to a laptop that isn't at home.

bisnicks
Apr 23, 2012, 10:50 AM
As far as the UI overhaul... I'm not talking anything dramatic. Just freshen some things up, add new transitions, update icons, etc. The Youtube icon is a perfect example of an icon that I think could be updated. How about the iTunes store logo? They don't just sell music, they sell movies now as well. I think we'll start seeing major UI changes once OS 11 comes around.

sulliweb
Apr 23, 2012, 12:28 PM

And Apple definitely doesn't. Compare OS X 10.0 with 10.7... Not too many UI changes at all.

Still, we live in a world of live data. Even MS gets the fact that there is no reason to have to go inside an app just to get the score of a game, the current temp, etc. A lot of MS's new mobile stuff has data built into the app icons. Now, Apple has the temperature covered with notification center, but this either needs to be expanded to allow other apps to have a single notification with live data or changed to something better.

I'd love to see app icons with live data or pop-up data (maybe widgets would work). I just feel like I'm forever jumping into an app for one piece of info. Then, I go into another app for something else. App times are still too slow in my opinion for this. Live Data, somehow, please!

I just find it funny that in a supposedly post-pc world, my "desktop" is more cluttered with "folders" of "icons" than my PC has ever been.

And as much as I wish they would, they'll never let us delete all the bloatware crap that they pile onto iDevices. I still can't figure out why, but I don't think they ever will.

Intarweb
Apr 23, 2012, 02:18 PM
I agree with YouTube needing an upgrade. Right now there's no way to message a link to a video other than fake emailing it to someone, copying the url, then paste it into a message and then send it.

bisnicks
Apr 23, 2012, 02:39 PM
I agree with YouTube needing an upgrade. Right now there's no way to message a link to a video other than fake emailing it to someone, copying the url, then paste it into a message and then send it.

Ah I totally forgot to mention that! So annoying! I'll add it to my list!

blow45
Apr 23, 2012, 02:57 PM
great post, with you on almost everything, most importantly the os overhaul, ios feels and looks very dated, esp. so on the ipad.

My idea is that they should create a new integrated and customizable ui, a la windows 8, as a top layer to be switched on and off by the user should they wish to. That'll be the best of both worlds for both "classic" users and users who want to try something new. Imagine how great it will be to have a windows where one can pick and chose notification items, views of apps appearing, etc. etc.

If they have still any ui sense at apple and if os x and the new apple tv interface is any indication, they don't have much, this is the only and the best solution.

They don't even need to have guts to do this, as if they screw up, one can still disable it and opt for the classic layout. If Jobs had been overseeing such a thing, it will appear, if he wasn't I don't think anyone has the balls to try it out at the moment in apple, esp. so when the marketing types will say this will alienate users who know ios.

oli356
Apr 23, 2012, 02:58 PM
let's be honest. Look at almost any new thread that pops up any day. The vast majority of them are rehashes of other threads. Very few threads are a completely fresh topic that has never been discussed before.
Mac Rumours is king for this I swear.

I still don't see Siri being useful for opening apps, changing brightness. It's SLOW, by the time I've activated Siri I could've done any of those tasks. I use Siri a few times a week, for reminders and alarms. The dication is OK but having to go fix mistakes, I might as well just type everything out.

bisnicks
Apr 23, 2012, 05:49 PM
Mac Rumours is king for this I swear.

I still don't see Siri being useful for opening apps, changing brightness. It's SLOW, by the time I've activated Siri I could've done any of those tasks. I use Siri a few times a week, for reminders and alarms. The dication is OK but having to go fix mistakes, I might as well just type everything out.
I can't imagine Siri staying this slow forever. Keep in mind, it's still in beta.

Saying change backlight to 50% instead of going through menus is much quicker in my opinion.

blow45
Apr 23, 2012, 06:15 PM
I can't imagine Siri staying this slow forever. Keep in mind, it's still in beta.

Saying change backlight to 50% instead of going through menus is much quicker in my opinion.

no way, just say it, change backlight to fifty per cent, or swipe up, right, change it. And you get the added benefit of not dehumanizing yourself by learning to command a machine.

nutmac
Apr 23, 2012, 06:58 PM
I like many of your suggestions, but I think you are thinking a bit narrow. Catching up to WebOS or Android is necessary in some respect, but iOS has some more fundamental issues and unfinished features that need more urgent response. For instance:

Hand off between WiFi to cellular is very flaky.
Sharing documents & data across applications.
Cannot override default applications (Camera and Safari being prime offenders).
Multitasking isn't there. Apps can drain battery and cause major performance issues.
Managing applications on the home screen. I would love automatic management by category, which is something Palm Pilot offered long ago.
Game Center should manage ALL games and Newsstand should do the same for news apps. As it stands, neither does their job well. Game Center is too slow, does not categorize games, and poor at launching games. Newsstand is very underpowered, essentially just a folder without subscription management.
iMessage is a nice step, but it just doesn't work very well. No one knows how to configure caller ID either (which shouldn't even be necessary). Messages app needs major overhaul as well.

2.) UI refresh
Let's face it, the iOS UI has been, for the most part, untouched since it's introduction in 2007. As a user since 2007, the UI is really starting to feel old.
I disagree with changing UI for the sake of addressing boredom. Many of existing iOS elements are chosen very carefully.

Improving the looks of few UI elements can improve aesthetics without harming usability, such as:

Pinstripe background wallpaper used on several built-in apps
Headers and footers (blue or dark gray gradient on iPhone and light gray on iPad) are fairly unattractive and could use redesign.
Better textures on notification center and multitasking bar.

And I think Apple would be wise to focus on improving elements that do not work quite well, such as home screen (and multitasking UI that you illustrated), notification center, search, and global documents & data provisioning to name a few. And many of its traditional built-in apps are showing age and/or suffers from numerous usability issues, such as Phone, Calendar, and Messages.

One of my BIGGEST annoyances with iOS is the notification system. It improved greatly in iOS 5, but I want the ability for apps to display an icon in the status bar at the top of the screen.

The status bar has extremely limited available space. Who decides what goes up there? I propose single generic notification center icon (for new notification since last view) and improving the notification center itself.

I know Apple is all about simplicity with its software but there is no reason I shouldn't be able to do basic tweaks (brightness, contrast, saturation). I would also love the ability to take video/ photos in different resolutions.
I agree with settings (e.g., resolution, maximum ISO, widescreen view finder), but tweaks are best done in Photos app, which does most of what you said already.

That said, I think Apple should expose more APIs (e.g., ISO, white balance) and allow third party camera app on the lock screen.

blow45
Apr 26, 2012, 01:31 PM
Multitasking isn't there. Apps can drain battery and cause major performance issues.

Can you elaborate a bit on this, I wasn't aware of such issues.

AlphaVictor87
Apr 26, 2012, 01:41 PM

that and the fact that at some point we will have an LTE iPhone. They will keep upgrading their servers that house siri.

Its not like it can get any worse right? unless they go back to the old voice commands which didn't really do much.

bisnicks
Apr 26, 2012, 02:05 PM
that and the fact that at some point we will have an LTE iPhone. They will keep upgrading their servers that house siri.

Its not like it can get any worse right? unless they go back to the old voice commands which didn't really do much.

Exactly. We haven't used Siri on 4G yet. Ping times are nearly that of WiFi and speeds exceed what most people use at home. Apple will continue to improve Siri and hopefully bring it out of beta soon. They've pushed it too heavily to let this one slip out of their hands.

randy98mtu
Apr 26, 2012, 02:12 PM
I'm with the OP on this. I'm ready for a bit of an overhaul of iOS. So much so I've been looking at Jailbreaking or just switching phones. Depending on what comes out this fall, I am going to be looking at Android for the first time. I'd much rather stay with iPhone. I like the iTunes ecosystem and I've got mine very organized. It will take a lot for me to change, but if all they do is redesign the case and bump the processor, it will take a lot to stay as well.

Johnri
Apr 26, 2012, 02:31 PM

Idk about the privacy part. The us gov keeps an archive of all tweets made

blow45
Apr 26, 2012, 03:02 PM
Idk about the privacy part. The us gov keeps an archive of all tweets made

Apple and the ns of a are best buddies too, but then again who isn't, it's just what we ll have to face nowadays... Problem is Facebook also gets boatloads of money from selling all your private life to private corporations as well...

Bear
Apr 26, 2012, 03:20 PM

I think twitter is the best choice because of the quick and easy sharing..also no privacy issues yet!No privacy issues due to no privacy.

Yeah...except that everything is public, and when you delete your account or just a tweet you regret, it is forever mirrored by a thousand terrible tweet-munging web 2.0 services.And you think you can ever really delete anything on Facebook. There have been articles about links to pictures still working years after they were "deleted" by the Facebook user. No privacy is no privacy.

d0vr
Apr 26, 2012, 04:08 PM
Can Demi-Gods merge threads? If so this with that: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1280848 would be appreciated! :)

----------

I disagree with 6 to an extent btw. But it would be nice to have an overall notification counter letting me know I've left something in my notification centre. Having an icon for all notifications seems very messy to me.

Shikamary
Apr 27, 2012, 01:00 AM
No privacy issues due to no privacy.

And you think you can ever really delete anything on Facebook. There have been articles about links to pictures still working years after they were "deleted" by the Facebook user. No privacy is no privacy.

Yes I agree with you on this. It kind of disturbs me because I deleted my Facebook and I can easily activate it by putting in my password again even after a year. If I knew that I had to sacrifice privacy, I would have never joined Facebook. :( but any way since I really don't have any profile anymore that is active this one I would suggest apple making their own profile and I would sign up. I notice people who use apple are a bit more positive. Just a simple app with an apple icon on it would do. iMessage I would like to see integrated in it and find friends. Also merge game center as well. I do not think it nessecary to have so many apps when it could be integrated into one app. I notice the merged apps I noted before are all social apps so FaceTime as well would be merged. I would call it iProfile.
The profile would give you the option to share your photos collections of your photos app, and or videos. An option to make and post your resume so businesses can see your out for hire. Option to show and let viewers browse your music library. Option to enable or disable find friends on the app.
The app will let you move your selected photo around by dragging it to what ever area you would like to see it. It will let you choose your backround or add apple made themes. You can access your iCloud email from here and show up on your app icon as the usual red alert or in notifications. You can put your usual about me info, interests, etc. if you choose.
This app would eliminate the seperate apps that drain your space on your device.

Cyacene
Apr 27, 2012, 02:08 PM
Here's what I think Apple could do to improve things.

1. Clean up the App store by combining apps with individual stores!
-iBooks and the bookstore is already done
-Combine iTunes and Music
-Combine Newstand and subscriptions
-Combine Game Center and create a separate game store

2. Once widgets (with live updates) are allowed in notification centre, I have my fingers crossed that Apple will replace the home screen with the notification centre entirely. This would be the complete UI refresh that everyone is asking for and be far more functional than the app grid.
-default home button action bring us to notification centre
-swipe up for old app grid when needed
-have a widget for multitasking (basically same functionality as now but no need for the double click)
-spotlight is now accessible by swiping left from notification centre rather than app grid

3. Open up Siri for devs.
At first I thought this would be a nightmare for settings as which app would siri use if you had multiple apps with similar functionality. I think the answer here is easier than I thought. I Siri was a real assistant, how would I handle this? I would just ask. There would be no settings or switches, she would just learn by asking.
"Find me a pizza restaurant"
"You can use Yelp or Urbanspoon to find a restaurant"
"Use Yelp"
"I found these restaurants for you"
And the next time you asked for a similar service, she wouldn't need to ask.

4. More with Siri
- Allow her to manage the entire settings.app
"Turn off bluetooth"
"Disable Facebook notifications"
"Backup my phone to iCloud"
-Intigrate Siri with notifications
"you have new email" (instead of just sounds)
"read it to me"

I can already accomplish most of this with jailbreak tweaks, but Apple seems to look to that community for updates so I have hight hopes! Bring on IOS6!

IOS7:
Now that Siri has exploded with functionality (after a year of developers playing with it), Allow my assistant to talk with your assistant.
"Schedule a lunch with frank for next week"
"Frank, Bob wants to have lunch with you next week, should I schedule something?"
"Sure"
"Okay, you both have time to meet on Wednesday at 1pm, I will schedule that for you"
"great, how about pizza"
"Okay Frank, same place as last time?"
etc...

Meyvn
Apr 28, 2012, 06:01 PM
1.) Maps Overhaul

I'd love to see turn-by-turn powered by Maps & Siri. The rest, don't care much about. I like the Maps UI a lot personally. I also don't really feel the need for a major OS-wide UI change. This isn't Android.

3.) More sharing integration

Agreed.

4.) Siri enhancements
Siri is a great tool. The problem is, Siri is slightly too limited. I want Siri to be able to open applications, change settings, work with 3rd party applications, and more. (without jailbreaking) Siri is still in beta, so I hope that these features are in the pipeline.

Wholeheartedly agree. Honestly, even if they just added the rest of the text-to-speech features OS X already has, it would be an improvement.

The obvious one is giving us more voices than just Samantha (Siri's voice). But the biggest for me is that, in OS X, you can just highlight a bit of text, right-click, and have it read by whichever voice is your default. Even better, now you actually have the option to "save to iTunes as a spoken track," with the voice of your choosing (FYI: Siri's voice is 'Samantha; she, along with Alex and Serena, are the most human-sounding English voices).

I think that feature in particular could be an incredibly useful tool for Reading List, particularly for mobile users. Imagine if you added a page to your RL, and when you went back to check, you could either use Reader or listen to it via audio. Could be great for a long ride/walk home.

But yeah, beyond just super-easy stuff like that, it would be great if Siri had really deep integration. I definitely think that's in the cards with Apple's future. I think they haven't begun to scratch the surface of Siri's usefulness. I suspect the only reason for this is not quite enough cloud computing power. The Death Star needs more work.

I like SBSettings, but I'm not sure most users need it.

Meh. iPhoto covers this. So do a zillion other apps.

8.) Cart in iTunes store and App store

Could be cool, but you already can basically do this. You enter your password once, and for the next 15 minutes if you're "shopping," no need to reenter.

And honestly, everything else could be pretty much covered by one very simple added feature:

Gatekeeper.

blow45
Apr 28, 2012, 09:17 PM
And Apple definitely doesn't. Compare OS X 10.0 with 10.7... Not too many UI changes at all.

Still, we live in a world of live data. Even MS gets the fact that there is no reason to have to go inside an app just to get the score of a game, the current temp, etc. A lot of MS's new mobile stuff has data built into the app icons. Now, Apple has the temperature covered with notification center, but this either needs to be expanded to allow other apps to have a single notification with live data or changed to something better.

I'd love to see app icons with live data or pop-up data (maybe widgets would work). I just feel like I'm forever jumping into an app for one piece of info. Then, I go into another app for something else. App times are still too slow in my opinion for this. Live Data, somehow, please!

I just find it funny that in a supposedly post-pc world, my "desktop" is more cluttered with "folders" of "icons" than my PC has ever been.

And as much as I wish they would, they'll never let us delete all the bloatware crap that they pile onto iDevices. I still can't figure out why, but I don't think they ever will.

Very good points all around. I too find immense clutter on iOS, I don't particularly understand why still icons have to be iPhone sized and why there can't be a properly customized lock screen or as I said before overlay to the os with customizable app data appearing. This seems to have flown over the ops and other people's heads here. The paradigm of open mail to check mail, open reminders app to see to do, open any news app to see current news, open any live feed app to see any live update is seriously lacking...

With you on th bloatware too, I VE tucked them away in an apple folder somewhere on page 6 of iOS but I wish I was at some point given the pleasure of just kick a few of them permanently out of the device...

twigman08
Apr 29, 2012, 01:27 AM
I put my thoughts to your fixes in bold. I agree with most of them. I'm not asking for a major UI overhaul but some changes are needed.

I know this has been done before and again, but I do enjoy reading everyone's suggestions as to what could be added or implemented into iOS 6. Hopefully you'll do the same with mine.

I know some of these are corrected through jailbreak apps, but I don't want to have to jailbreak to get these basic features. Also, Android is not for me, I prefer the stability of iOS, please don't suggest I switch to it if I want some of the features. While I'm sure there are plenty more features that could be tweaked or added that I overlooked, I think this is a good place to start.

1.) Maps Overhaul

Let's put it this way. Maps on iOS sucks. Something that is used so heavily by users and it's been pretty much neglected save for a few new features along the way. Let's hope Apple puts their acquisitions of several mapping companies to use. The anonymous traffic data they've collected may also prove to be an extraordinary feature. The addition of a turn by turn navigation is needed. I've used it on Android and it's the one thing I actually envy Android users for. I think Apple should still rely on some of Google's mapping data, but implement some of their own for different layers. I'd like to see terrain view and interior room view added as well. Small but really annoying thing I've noticed is when you double tap the location arrow to see which way you're facing on a map is that as soon as you move the map around, it switches out of that mode.

This defiantly needs to be redone. Plus the fact that we don't have voice turn by turn directions yet it just laughable. Get that Siri voice to navigate me!

2.) UI refresh
Let's face it, the iOS UI has been, for the most part, untouched since it's introduction in 2007. As a user since 2007, the UI is really starting to feel old. Apple has redone some UI elements to freshen things up (the switches are no longer squares but round pegs, etc.), but I think a system wide UI refresh is in order. Obviously the framework should remain the same as it has worked well, but visually it could use an overhaul.

I agree to a point. I love the OS basics and how simple it is and how it is designed. Though it is starting to feel a bit "stale." Everything seems so boring and not Apple in my mind. The live tiles in Windows OS is absolutely great. Something has to be done with the boring icons. I still find it sad that we don't have a dynamic weather icon. It can't even give me a quick temperature?

With iOS 5, Apple introduced the ability to share with Twitter. That's great and all, but most users arguably use Facebook more often. Facebook integration is a no brainer. Other services such as Flickr should also be considered.

Yes and no. I use Facebook just to really post some videos or photos to some of my friends. I don't use Twitter. So it would be nice if I took a photo on my phone that I could just share to facebook right after I took it without having to go through Facebooks absolutely poor excuse for an App (don't get my started on that App...I HATE IT).

4.) Siri enhancements

I strongly believe we will see more from Siri. Apple advertised Siri maybe a bit too soon and most people think that if it is released that it can't be in beta. Apple did stress when they first announced it that it is still in Beta. Though I felt they advertised it a bit too much on TV for something that is still in Beta.

I would love to be able to open up the Notification Center API a little bit and allow developers to create some little widgets that go in there. I could easily swipe down and get a quick score update for my favorite team.

Lets say I download the ESPN App. I set my favorite teams. Their should be a setting or something to add to Notification Center as a widget. Perfect place for Widgets in the OS.

One of my BIGGEST annoyances with iOS is the notification system. It improved greatly in iOS 5, but I want the ability for apps to display an icon in the status bar at the top of the screen. I want an envelope to show when I have new email. I want an "f" to show when I have a facebook notification, I want to see an icon that notifies that my phone is on silent, etc. This is already possible by jailbreaking but it really should be an option for users to enable.

I don't care about notification icons as I absolutely hate a crowded status bar. My status bar would get filled up quick! Though I agree i can't believe we can't display whether the phone is in silent mode or not in the status bar.

I just want them to continue to work on the load time even more with it. I don't really need any more options. I'll just use iPhoto.

8.) Cart in iTunes store and App store
I would love to have a cart.
Though to add even more to that, I still don't see why Apple hasn't merged every store they have into one store now. If they ever do this, it'll be perfect in my opinion. I hate going from store to store to store.

9.) Better Usage meters
I'll admit, I don't really care as I am a lucky one that still has unlimited data, but I do agree that monthly data usage should be a "stat" that we can see. Right now isn't the usage only like a total of what it has been since we last reset it or bought the phone?

10.) Group texts
If my phone rings 5 times in less than 10 seconds again because of group messages, I'm going to scream! I'll admit I love it in some instances. Had like a 5 person conversation the other day as we were trying to figure out what we were all going to do and all that. Very nice to not have to keep texting each other with updates.

11.) Album improvements
Exactly! I want to be able to move a photo I took from my Camera Roll to another album and it not still be in my Camera Roll. if I take a picture of a car, why can't I move that picture to an album that is for Cars or something? Sure I can but it still says in the Camera Roll. Why? It is in my Cars album. Why does it need to be in the Camera roll.

Yes please! A preview or something! Just blur out the homescreen and bring up live previews of the apps I have running in a 3D type view. I swipe to the App and then I switch to it.

That would be perfect! Sure go ahead and put the app on my phone. But at least allow me to delete them. Put them in the App store and let me download them that way again. Like you said it would also allow Apple to be able to update these apps without an iOS update.

14.) Widgets
I hate widgets. Put some small ones in the notification center.

15.) Youtube
I hate having to fake an email just to get a link to send to someone via text. I sometimes just use the mobile website of YouTube to watch it.
16.) Fix Spellcheck
Spell Check is fine. It's the autocorrect that has seemed to get worse and worse.

17.) Music app overhaul
I don't see what else they could do with it? Maybe a couple new features or something, but other than that it works perfectly for me and it serves its purpose as a music app.

lostngone
Apr 29, 2012, 02:58 AM
1. With more and more iDevices being released with different screen sizes and resolutions they need to re-wite the UI to be resolution independent.
It is highly inefficient to redesign and store UI elements for each and every iDevice resolution on the market.

2. As stated before Apple needs to release Siri APIs so everyone can write apps to take advantage.

blow45
Apr 29, 2012, 07:17 AM
While I am 100% with you on ri, I can only say good luck with that... They haven't done it in 12 years on the Mac..

Hermes Monster
Apr 29, 2012, 10:20 AM
Mail app needs a refresh. I'd like to be able to add attachments

irDigital0l
Apr 29, 2012, 12:17 PM
1. With more and more iDevices being released with different screen sizes and resolutions they need to re-wite the UI to be resolution independent.
It is highly inefficient to redesign and store UI elements for each and every iDevice resolution on the market.

2. As stated before Apple needs to release Siri APIs so everyone can write apps to take advantage.

Wait what do you mean more and more?

There's the iPod Touch & iPhone and there's the iPad. That's two screen sizes...

Meyvn
Apr 29, 2012, 12:40 PM
Wait what do you mean more and more?

There's the iPod Touch & iPhone and there's the iPad. That's two screen sizes...

Retina Display. 4 sizes. But it will probably be 2 eventually. Regardless, I'm thoroughly against resolution independence for iOS. Resolution independence would mean basically just using the equivalent of 'Fullforce' on every single iOS app. Nothing would ever take advantage of the different screen sizes for optimized designs. Can you imagine Flipboard, simply scaled down to fit the iPhone, in its original iPad form? Yeah, developers could be lazy, but the customers would suffer. And that ain't Apple's thang.

Sensamic
Apr 29, 2012, 12:55 PM
Do you guys think that iOS 6 will change the user UI??

I think its time for a change.

Soundflunky
Apr 29, 2012, 01:15 PM
I don't know if it's been noted yet but they may be waiting until they take the lower resolution devices off the market before really updating the UI. When the new iPhone goes on sale the 3GS will likely be discontinued. When the next iPad goes on sale hopefully the iPad 2 will be gone too. That means iOS7 will be the earliest that we'll see any great changes on that front.

fullmanfullninj
Apr 29, 2012, 01:19 PM
First off, excellent thread! I enjoyed reading through this. Responses are in bold.

1.) Maps Overhaul
Yes. I agree. I mean it's great for basic GPS and finding directions, but you need more than just that, especially in 2012. I cannot think of any major overhauls to it recently (thinking iOS5 and iOS4). Overdue!

2.) UI refresh
Ehhh. But the UI still works. I mean why reinvent the wheel? What could they do to a system wide refresh but still maintain the iOS look and feel we're used to? I am glad that iOS is not like Android and the various UIs that HTC, Samsung, and Motorola need they feel to push on. With each update, the look and feel remains consistent and clean (unlike Sense, Touchwiz, and motoblur). I think it's fine, but some change is never (to an extent) bad!

This would be ok if the iPhone wasn't released globally. There are parts of the world there Twitter is blocked (China...but please don't start a political war here LOL). Facebook is also blocked in some parts of the world (again, China...). Unless these were like plugins that you could select for integration and allow third party developers to integrate, it wouldn't make much sense. Perhaps in some parts of the world, Facebook and Twitter are not as popular. Allowing third party developers to develop something for a local social media site and work in iOS could help circumvent this problem.

But also, what would I need to integrate specifically? Aside from doing a status update/new tweet, I wouldn't really see any purpose in it. I mean I guess I could put photos onto Facebook and Twitter at the same time, but I can also upload through the Facebook app. A lot of other apps already have "post/send to Facebook/Twitter/etc" so...

Yes. Great start, just needs to be worked on and improved. This is something I feel should be included and not require a jailbreak to have this happen. Android users have toggles for brightness, wifi, bluetooth, and location services in their notification center. It's useful and I could see myself using this.

Now this I disagree with. I like having the battery percentage displayed. I also lock the orientation (they really need to get rid of the locked orientation icon), so I have that icon. But what if I receive an email, a Facebook notification, a new tweet on Twitter, an update on tumblr, etc etc. My notification bar on top would get cluttered and look messy - definitely something non-Apple. When I worked at Best Buy Mobile, I would see some customers' Android phones...their notification bar would be FULL of crap.

http://cdn.ilovefreesoftware.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Go-Launcher-EX-App-hide-status-bar.jpg

Email notifications, Facebook, tethering, Twitter, App killers, anti virus, whatever. It looked like a Windows XP notification area.

http://xtremestylez.com/blogit/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/systemtray.gif

That's sort of what I'm getting at. I hated having that clutter in XP/7 so I hid almost everything except the essentials. If this were an iPad, perfect! No problem. But it's not :/

I personally have tried a few of these apps. Then I realized I'm on a 3.5" screen. Again, on the iPad, this would look orgasmic, no doubt. But when I'm on a 3.5" screen...ehhh. I'm not a big fan of it. The screenshots look great because of the high resolution the iPhone has, but when you look at it and stuff, I dunno.

Yes (also bring calculator, clock, w/e to the iPad!). I really don't need the stocks app. I could see this being useful. That is all. LOL.

14.) Widgets
Uhhh. I wouldn't mind widgets like on the lockscreen (but laid out nicely like lockinfo and that other jailbreak lockscreen). But the reason why I don't like Android is because of all of those damn widgets. They vary in size, vary in usability and just add clutter. Having some things displayed in the lockscreen would be nice (I use lockinfo), but having it be too similar to Android would destroy the "clean" look I feel iOS embodies.

15.) Youtube
Yes. This would be useful...I haven't seen many changes in the app. It would be well appreciated and liked by this guy here!

16.) Fix Spellcheck
Yes. I dunno what happened in iOS5...but yes.

17.) Music app overhaul
How would you change it? It had a pretty nice refresh circa iOS4 I think? I dunno. But I have no problems with it. Kind of goes along the UI refresh. It works well...I don't think there are any major complaints. You can make and edit playlists on the iPhone now...you can also delete I think? I dunno. But it seems pretty good already, no major changes needed imo.

Small fixes

-When typing (notably in Messages) a large amount of text, the text box expands to the point where the message window is cut down to a tiny sliver that makes it a pain to read the text you were responding to. Text in the text box should become scrollable after a certain point so that the view window doesn't become too obstructed.
This.

jackc
Apr 29, 2012, 01:30 PM
Good suggestions, I expect Apple will get some of these done around iOS 8

lostngone
Apr 29, 2012, 02:25 PM
Retina Display. 4 sizes. But it will probably be 2 eventually. Regardless, I'm thoroughly against resolution independence for iOS. Resolution independence would mean basically just using the equivalent of 'Fullforce' on every single iOS app. Nothing would ever take advantage of the different screen sizes for optimized designs. Can you imagine Flipboard, simply scaled down to fit the iPhone, in its original iPad form? Yeah, developers could be lazy, but the customers would suffer. And that ain't Apple's thang.

These devices are getting more an powerful and more and more common if we are in the post PC era it is crazy to think there is only going to ever be only 2 supported resolutions from Apple.

I do not disagree with your points however the businesses/devs will only put up with this for as long as Apple holds a large market share. If this slips the users will suffer because we will start seeing businesses/devs start dropping support for certain iOS based devices because it isn't worth the cost/effort to support it.

milani
Apr 29, 2012, 02:34 PM
@OP

You'll probably see everything on your list except #2; however, widgets (which I suspect we will see in some form) will probably help to alleviate what some consider to be a stagnant homescreen UI.

FoxMcCloud
Apr 29, 2012, 02:36 PM
I'd like to be able to compose a new text, tweet or email from the notification centre. Also see the date.

Next, is my favourite apps or docks apps come up when bring up multitask bar. Swipe right and see the previous apps.

A home screen in between search screen and first app screen.

Meyvn
Apr 29, 2012, 02:50 PM
These devices are getting more an powerful and more and more common if we are in the post PC era it is crazy to think there is only going to ever be only 2 supported resolutions from Apple.

We'll see.

I do not disagree with your points however the businesses/devs will only put up with this for as long as Apple holds a large market share. If this slips the users will suffer because we will start seeing businesses/devs start dropping support for certain iOS based devices because it isn't worth the cost/effort to support it.

Not true. Just, flat-out not true, and I'll tell you why: even at its absolute lowest adoption rates, the Mac had a community of great developers working on apps for it. Yeah, if the market share slips really low on iOS devices, we're not going to see the huge numbers of devs working on new apps that we see today, but what's more important than having the most apps is having the best apps. And I don't see Apple ever being hard up in that department.

Sensamic
Apr 29, 2012, 08:39 PM
Now that I think about it... If the next iPhone 5 does come with a bigger screen, say 4', then this probably means that a new UI will come, but maybe exclusive to the new iPhone... Apple will say its because the new UI needs a bigger screen, and that old iPhones are better keeping the icons UI. Would make sense.

Mortalias
Apr 29, 2012, 11:51 PM
You basically hit all the major points. Especially because each one is doable.

Meyvn
May 1, 2012, 02:14 PM
Now that I think about it... If the next iPhone 5 does come with a bigger screen, say 4', then this probably means that a new UI will come, but maybe exclusive to the new iPhone... Apple will say its because the new UI needs a bigger screen, and that old iPhones are better keeping the icons UI. Would make sense.

iPhone 6*. And indeed, a 4-foot tall iPhone would require a drastically new UI.

Shorties
May 1, 2012, 02:25 PM
iPhone 6*. And indeed, a 4-foot tall iPhone would require a drastically new UI.

They either need to get rid of the number thing altogether or just call it the 5, I know it will be the 6th device, but they can't go from 4s to 6.

Meyvn
May 1, 2012, 04:01 PM
They either need to get rid of the number thing altogether or just call it the 5, I know it will be the 6th device, but they can't go from 4s to 6.

I think they are going to just get rid of the numbering. I don't think they want to be talking about the "iPhone 15" someday. I think they'd rather it just be like any of their other products (i.e. we're not talking about the iMac 23 or what have you).

bisnicks
May 1, 2012, 05:59 PM
Jeez, this thread has really taken off! As far as UI goes, I suppose I'm not saying change the way iOS works, but just freshen up UI elements sort of like they did for the rectangle to circle switches.

blinkin182
May 1, 2012, 09:36 PM
Jeez, this thread has really taken off! As far as UI goes, I suppose I'm not saying change the way iOS works, but just freshen up UI elements sort of like they did for the rectangle to circle switches.

@bisnicks: Great job on the thread! All of the things on my wishlist and more! Have you submitted this as feedback to Apple? I think we should all try to bring attention to Apple to this wishlist.

I also completely agree a little UI refresh would not be bad, as you have said, it doesn't need to change the main elements but perhaps change colors, shading etc. Add some new animations etc! I (almost) always enjoyed the Mac OS updates due to the new little refreshes in the UI, it's nice to see the evolution.

I would add the following though:

- App switching: I feel though that they need to implement some better app switching, the double click and go through that long list of apps to find the right one, well, that's not a fast way to switch. I wish they would implement more multi-finger gestures, such as a two/three finger swipe up to reveal all running apps (2/3 or half screen), or two/three finger swipes sideways to switch btw apps (like iPad). I know the screen is small, but this is doable and a far better app switching method.

- Multilanguage support: I wish they would make it easier to switch between languages for Siri. I'm bilingual and have friends who speak different languages, I would like to be able to dictate a message in English and then switch to French without having to change the whole language of siri. If I select the French keyboard, why can't I then use the voice-to-text feature in French?

nuckinfutz
May 1, 2012, 10:22 PM
My iOS 6.0 desires

1. Maps and Turn by Turn GPS with Siri control. I want to be able to ask Siri about an company and confirm the address and enable Navigation by saying something like "Take me there"

2. Unified Text Engine - Every developer has to roll their own text engine. iOS 6.0 needs a more robust set of text handling tools.

3. Single authentication - the Accounts API will handle this but in a nutshell I should be able to authenticate services like Facebook, Twitter, Vimeo, Flickr, Dropbox and more through my Apple ID if I choose.

4. More gestures. If my home button breaks.. it shouldn't matter because gestures will allow everything I need.

6. Inter-app communication. Sandboxing is nice but giving up the ability to safely send documents amongst different apps is a productivity killer. Open in is nice but we need more flexibility.

7. Multiple Camera resolutions for video and pictures please.

8. Shopping cart for apps= No brainer

9. Scrolling folders - Allow me to scroll apps within a folder by a two finger drag. This will prevent me from having multiple games folders

10. AirDrop please

11. Notification center update with iCloud and presence- This would put the notifications on the iPad on the side like Mountain Lion. Presence would understand what device you are typing on and wouldn't chime on the other devices. Right now an iMessage chimes on 4 devices. Gets annoying

12. OpenCL support - Nuff said

Rogifan
May 2, 2012, 12:55 AM
How about allowing video playlists on the iPad? If you ca do it on the iPhone why not iPad? Also it wuld be nice if you didn't have to go through the music app to get to your video playlists on iPod Touch/iPhone.

Another thing I'd love is a better way to organize photos. When photos are moved to a specific folder it would be nice if they were removed from the camera roll. So the the camera roll would just be photos you haven't organized into a folder yet.

----------

@OP

You'll probably see everything on your list except #2; however, widgets (which I suspect we will see in some form) will probably help to alleviate what some consider to be a stagnant homescreen UI.

What is the reason they've left off widgets to this point? Battery life? And how do they introduce them without looking like they were really late to the party or just ripping off Android.

bisonthrow
May 2, 2012, 08:57 AM
I agree with almost all of your suggestions. On the point of the music app id love to have the ability to be listening to a song and then click and hold on a song by a different artist or album and "add to queue". Basically creating on the fly playlists but doing so as i see songs i want to hear next.

praktical
May 2, 2012, 09:13 AM
Really great suggestions made here man. I hope some consideration is taken towards the concerns you have posted here. We will see in the end result.

bisnicks
May 2, 2012, 10:26 AM
Does anyone know how to get this list in front of the people behind iOS development? Obviously a lot of these probably won't make it to the new iOS considering they've probably been working on it since the release of iOS 5, but some of the smaller fixes could definitely be incorporated. If anyone on here has any Apple connections, that would come in handy as well :cool:

gpat
May 2, 2012, 11:10 AM
Seamless app integration.
http://apcmag.com/images/2011/snap20110612_092654.jpg
Easy and viable.

blow45
May 2, 2012, 11:23 AM
Does anyone know how to get this list in front of the people behind iOS development? Obviously a lot of these probably won't make it to the new iOS considering they've probably been working on it since the release of iOS 5, but some of the smaller fixes could definitely be incorporated. If anyone on here has any Apple connections, that would come in handy as well :cool:

just leave feedback man, what apple connections? :confused::rolleyes:

bisnicks
May 2, 2012, 11:38 AM
Seamless app integration.
Image (http://apcmag.com/images/2011/snap20110612_092654.jpg)
Easy and viable.

Well, I'd hope it wouldn't become that cluttered. Maybe you could give users the option to have it, sort of like when apps ask you about push notifications?

motorazr
May 2, 2012, 11:38 AM
For whatever reason, I still feel like a more Mac OS like UI would have been welcome from the start o:) ... not that I'd ever expect to see something like that these days. I just remember all the old mockups looking really cool.

That said, I wonder what they'd really do to improve the UI without just changing it? I agree with messages . . . It should scroll at a point. That's always felt like a bug to me. I personally feel like the menu bar is already too cluttered, however ... and I'd like to see things moved to a dash-board like page... or to the notification center... but I see no reason that there isn't a page before spotlight (or after) which holds useful widget-like information that's on a start / stop basis (controlled by the user opening the dashboard page) for gathering information.

gpat
May 2, 2012, 12:29 PM
Well, I'd hope it wouldn't become that cluttered. Maybe you could give users the option to have it, sort of like when apps ask you about push notifications?

Well, it contains apps you have downloaded, so there is a good chance that you want to share your pictures/files/whatever to any app in that list.

And the standard Share screen in Android looks like this, and I wouldn't call that cluttered (the previous screen refers to the Gallery app)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2969496/Screenshot_2012-05-02-19-25-01.png

I think Apple could make it even better.

yanksrock100
May 2, 2012, 10:13 PM
Widgets would be nice, in notifacation center, not the home screen. Would LOVE to pull down and see the baseball scores of the day, or quickly change my settings. Ice cream sandwich has a quick settings widget, and something of that likes would be GREATLY appreciated! (or quick settings in the multitasking bar) that's really all that I need. I like the UI, they can't really change it that much of they will mess thier Mac to iOS merge. Really all that would be nice is widgets, and a new YouTube app!

ward670
May 3, 2012, 06:00 AM
1. Facebook integration.
Quite possible seeing as its in iPhoto on mac and iOS

2. Quick settings widget.
I'd hope they'd do this but they'll want to make it look like they aren't copying android.

3. Notification Center widget API.
Can't see this but would be class for the likes of ESPN Score center

4. Turn by Turn navigation
With Siri voice

5. Siri Expanded

6. "Do not disturb"
Like what was introduced on mac

7. Allow spaces on icon grid
A long shot but allow spaces on home screen without icons

bisnicks
May 3, 2012, 11:02 PM
Over the next couple weeks I'm going to try and do some mockups for some of the ideas I posted. Check back!

Giuly
May 3, 2012, 11:17 PM
Over the next couple weeks I'm going to try and do some mockups for some of the ideas I posted. Check back!

Over the next couple of weeks, iOS 6 will be announced. :rolleyes:

\-V-/
May 3, 2012, 11:19 PM

He's just having a little fun, give him a break. :/

bisnicks
May 4, 2012, 12:24 PM

Since when did they decide to announce it by May 18th? :rolleyes:

Pennine
May 4, 2012, 12:34 PM
Widgets would be nice, in notifacation center, not the home screen. Would LOVE to pull down and see the baseball scores of the day, or quickly change my settings. Ice cream sandwich has a quick settings widget, and something of that likes would be GREATLY appreciated! (or quick settings in the multitasking bar) that's really all that I need. I like the UI, they can't really change it that much of they will mess thier Mac to iOS merge. Really all that would be nice is widgets, and a new YouTube app!

I agree with everything you've wrote. But will Apple?

AustinIllini
May 4, 2012, 02:36 PM
A little thing I guess I would like to see is an "Emergency Contacts" field on the passcode entry screen.

streetmapp
May 4, 2012, 02:59 PM
how about something that "dumbphones" have had for years?

the ability to delete multiple texts at once! the fact that iOS STILL doesn't have this feature is simply mind-boggling.

\-V-/
May 4, 2012, 03:16 PM
how about something that "dumbphones" have had for years?

the ability to delete multiple texts at once! the fact that iOS STILL doesn't have this feature is simply mind-boggling.

You can already do that in iOS. You just press Edit and multi-select the text messages you want to delete, then press Delete. Or you can delete entire conversations.

ajvizzgamer101
May 4, 2012, 05:04 PM
So I am guessing Turn by Turn directions is a must have for iOS 6. It's on everyones lists including mine.

bisnicks
May 4, 2012, 05:11 PM
A little thing I guess I would like to see is an "Emergency Contacts" field on the passcode entry screen.

That would make sense!

----------

So I am guessing Turn by Turn directions is a must have for iOS 6. It's on everyones lists including mine.

If they don't include this, I think it's going to be a major disappointment for everyone. Not sure what else they could include that would make iOS 6 so great.

Sensamic
May 6, 2012, 04:11 PM
Biggest possible new feature:

CYDIA!!! :D:D:D

Or... no need for a new UI, just a new settings option called THEMES (and buying themes from iTunes or App Store).

Themes would be awesome. They get to keep the original UI on stock.

bisnicks
May 6, 2012, 04:15 PM
Biggest possible new feature:

CYDIA!!! :D:D:D

Or... no need for a new UI, just a new settings option called THEMES (and buying themes from iTunes or App Store).

Themes would be awesome. They get to keep the original UI on stock.

I REALLY don't think they'd ever allow Cydia to be a part of iOS. Also, the themes idea really isn't Apple's style. Definitely more Android/ Jailbreak material.

Eadfrith
May 6, 2012, 05:46 PM
So will we see a release or preview of iOS 6 at WWDC?

Giuly
May 6, 2012, 06:25 PM
So will we see a release or preview of iOS 6 at WWDC?
No, they gonna demonstrate iOS 5.2: A better camera and a faster processor. :rolleyes:

JohnDoe98
May 7, 2012, 02:07 AM
(1) Safari extensions. I'd really like to get Adblock in there.
(2) iBooks needs to allow books/pdfs to be sharable and sendable to other apps. Watsting space otherwise.
(3) iBooks syncing through iCloud for all books and pdfs.
(4) iBooks better annotation on pdfs.
(5) Maps needs serious work. Turn by turn navigation would be nice.
(6) Folders in folders, at least for iCloud files.
(7) iWork suite needs to be fully featured.
(8) Siri for all.
(9) Fix iTunes Match, it is slow to the point of barely being usable.
(10) Facetime on LTE at minimum, 3G would be nice.

Comeagain?
May 7, 2012, 02:11 AM
(8) Siri for all and on LTE at minmum.

So Siri for all...who have an iPhone and live in an area where LTE is available and choose to pay for it. That sure helps the situation.

JohnDoe98
May 7, 2012, 02:23 AM
So Siri for all...who have an iPhone and live in an area where LTE is available and choose to pay for it. That sure helps the situation.

Oops, thought it didn't work on 3G. If it does, great no fixing needed there, just add more devices. Fixed my original post.

Eadfrith
May 7, 2012, 02:35 AM
No, they gonna demonstrate iOS 5.2: A better camera and a faster processor. :rolleyes:

No need to be such a dick.:rolleyes:

macmastersam
May 7, 2012, 04:28 AM
how about facebook integration as well as twitter?

ThE.MeSsEnGeR
May 7, 2012, 05:02 AM
I have a really good idea, I don't know if it has been posted before.

There's a feature that already exists in the iPad keyboard, it's a shortcut for the apostrophe. You access it by swiping upward the 'comma/exclamation' key. And if you swipe upward the 'period/question' key, you'll access the quotation marks.
(try it now, I know that some of you don't know this)

My idea is that if there's a way Apple can implement that same feature but on the letters. For example, you'll swipe upward the letter Q for 1, W for 2, etc...
And it can work on all the keyboard. Because notice how when you switch between the 'letters' keyboard and the 'numbers/punctiation' keyboard, the layout is practically the same. (maybe put a small light grey number/symbol above each letter to show which number/symbol you'll type)

That would save us a LOT of time in typing and editing!

And as you all might know the feature that has been making the rounds on YouTube, the one that you can swipe left and right on the keyboard to control the cursor. Implementation of that idea with mine, will make the iPad keyboard one hell of a beast.

Cod3rror
May 7, 2012, 07:15 AM
OK, it's one of these threads again, oh well, let's do it...

I agree with the OP, Maps needs improvements, lots of improvements, Apple is the only one without a first party navigation solution. Not only Maps though, but all iOS apps need an update and improvement.

Live icons - Icons that change according to an event, for example a weather app could show the temperature in it's icon.

Widgets - In the notification centre

Multitasking gestures like in Zephyr(Cydia tweak) - Swipe from bottom up from the bottom and hold for Switcher, swipe up/flick up from the bottom to go back to the Homescreen. The Switcher itself should also be doubled in size IMO and audio controls should be placed above the app icons.

Integrate Spotlight search into notification center - put it on top(above stocks/weather), The search should be instantly accessible from anywhere with minimal taps/swipes.

SBSettings(Quick switches) widget in Notification Center - Wifi, bluetooth, airplane, cellular data, 3G, brightness

Hide or uninstall default iOS apps, I don't need Newsstand

App cross-communication and integration

Integrated full Bluetooth support, sending files, contacts, syncing, etc...

Wi-Fi Direct support/Airdrop, sending files, contacts, syncing, etc...

Increase folder size, allow for multiple pages in folders - InfiniFolders

Camera app needs Timer, time/date/location tagging, 720p @ 60FPS recording option, White balance, Exposure, Light sensitivity(ISO), Contrast
Sharpness, all of these should be added.

Birthday's in Calendar - Right now iOS reads your contacts and displays birthdays of your contacts in the Calendar, but I want it to show the actual age the person is turning in the brackets too... example: John Smith [35].

Ability delete photos from Photo Library

Ability to view the image file information, EXIF(date of taking, size, etc)

Calendar - upcoming event badges on calendar(with an ability to adjust how far in advance you can see your events, 24hours, 7 days, 14 days, etc..)
I know badges are used for invitations right now, but how often do you get those?

Calendar events in Notification Center/Lockscreen - Configure look at head, it only shows events for the next 24 hours, what if I want to show events for the next 72 hours?

iMessage - Needs an ability to share location(Map) like with WhatsApp, right from the iMessage. Current you can only send photos from iMessage, but Maps and Contacts shortcuts should be added too. Also it would be great if the image EXIF data was preserved when sent so the receiver could "open" that image in Maps and navigate... quickly snap a picture of a location, send it, the receiver gets the image, taps "Open in Maps" and finds the route to you.

Prevent shut down when the phone is locked.

Delivery notification for normal SMS messages.

Snooze time configuration option for alarm, (amount of snoozes, time in between).

More "Pull down to refresh/do something" mechanics throughout the system.

Private browsing switch IN the Safari, so you can switch it on/off while you're in Safari, not having to go into Settings.

Swiping to get rid of notification banners - swipe them left or right.

Swipe up for the multitasking bar, Volume control and music controls should be available right there, on top of each other so you don't have to swipe to the left for them.

GridTab view for Safari.

YouTube continuous playlist play.

Maps - When you are picking a bookmark or a contact in Maps there is this text in the title taking up space "Choose a bookmark/contact to view on the map" Remove that, most people already know how to use it.

iTunes

Drag and drop(manually manage) pictures without the need to sync. I don't want to have a folder specifically for the iPhone, I want to simply grab a picture and drag it into the iPhone.

Compile 'em all
May 7, 2012, 07:25 AM
Delivery notification for normal SMS messages.

SMS is dead.

diamond.g
May 7, 2012, 08:31 AM
SMS is dead.

What about delivery notifications for email?

shandyman
May 7, 2012, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by bisnicks

This would be great. To be honest i had always thought there was a icon to show it was on silent. For something so simple i'm surprised they didn't show it. I never realized i have to turn my phone to the side to make sure its on silent or not when i could just look at the screen if they included an icon.

9.) Better Usage meters

Most carriers have apps (My AT&T, My Verizon, ect) that you can use to get your usage. The phone usage would be skewed because its going to count data even when you are on wifi which doesn't count against your plan, so it is not representative of your data usage.

In regards to your comment on Point 6, you think that it's too complicated to just look at the switch on the side of the phone to see if it's on silent???? that's the most absurd thing i've heard and flat out lazy......

as for your comment on point 9, i agree, each carrier has an app that monitors usage which is more accurate. there is a native usage meter on the phone already, but it is rolling from when you got the device, all you have to do is reset it each month. it's specifically cellular data usage and a seperate section for tether. it doesn't count wifi data. So the usage meter is already in there. in regard to the OP's comment about alerts before going over limit, that's down to the carrier rather than Apple. I know that Orange and O2 here in the UK both text when you're approaching your limits and then when you've reached it.

kmj2318
May 7, 2012, 09:06 AM
I want to be able to have my wallpaper change every X minutes, and randomize it.

:o

diamond.g
May 7, 2012, 09:19 AM
In regards to your comment on Point 6, you think that it's too complicated to just look at the switch on the side of the phone to see if it's on silent???? that's the most absurd thing i've heard and flat out lazy......

as for your comment on point 9, i agree, each carrier has an app that monitors usage which is more accurate. there is a native usage meter on the phone already, but it is rolling from when you got the device, all you have to do is reset it each month. it's specifically cellular data usage and a seperate section for tether. it doesn't count wifi data. So the usage meter is already in there. in regard to the OP's comment about alerts before going over limit, that's down to the carrier rather than Apple. I know that Orange and O2 here in the UK both text when you're approaching your limits and then when you've reached it.Interesting, I didn't think AT&T tallied up data usage real-time. I thought they reconciled usage at around 1 am. So the usage meter, via the app, shouldn't be accurate until the next day. The usage meter on the phone should actually be accurate since Apple would know when the cellular radio is being used.

AlphaVictor87
May 7, 2012, 10:29 AM

I never said its too complicated. I was just saying for some reason i thought there was already a icon on the screen.

But then i thought back and realized that ever since i had an iPhone i just turned the phone to look at the switch to see if it is on silent

shandyman
May 7, 2012, 10:35 AM
I never said its too complicated. I was just saying for some reason i thought there was already a icon on the screen.

But then i thought back and realized that ever since i had an iPhone i just turned the phone to look at the switch to see if it is on silent

Oh apologies, I misinterpreted your post. Anyway it's a waste of space having an icon there for showing if it's switched to silent. Much prefer something that's more useful, like one to show you have notifications. Definitely not one for each different app, just a general one.

eacron
May 7, 2012, 12:28 PM
Although I agree with most of items here what about Apple first concentrate on holes they left wide open in certain stock apps. For example:

calendar - can we finally have some version of copy/paste for events. i know you can use the repeat function but that is really annoying and unattractive. Talking about repeats can't we finally have customizable repeats like the OS X version. And please for the love of... whatever, can we get that color coding bug for individual calendars fixed - I'm stuck with my personal calendar and work calendar having the same color code - again, very annoying

Contacts - Why oh why can't we add or create groups yet in iOS. I don't see how any of these devices can be classified as "PC free" if you keep on having to go to your computer for adding and creating groups in the contact app.

Thats it... thats all I want - they take care of these few issues and maps (i'm really excited to see what they are doing there) and I'll be really happy.

ThatsMeRight
May 7, 2012, 04:41 PM
Hi bisnicks,

What I really like about your post is that you have out a lot of thought in it. I also like the fact that you give a clear discription. I have quickly read through your list and there are some points I agee with. There are, however, also some points I do not agree with or of which I feel should be dealt with in a different matter.

It's near midnight here right now, so I'm going to bed, but tomorrow I'll post a new reaction and will type a response to all your 'hopes' (requested features) - with feedback of course.

:)

bisnicks
May 9, 2012, 07:35 AM
Hi bisnicks,

What I really like about your post is that you have out a lot of thought in it. I also like the fact that you give a clear discription. I have quickly read through your list and there are some points I agee with. There are, however, also some points I do not agree with or of which I feel should be dealt with in a different matter.

It's near midnight here right now, so I'm going to bed, but tomorrow I'll post a new reaction and will type a response to all your 'hopes' (requested features) - with feedback of course.

:)
Thanks! I look forward to hearing your responses!

bigubosu
May 9, 2012, 09:42 PM
Great list.

I like the multi-tasking point but wouldn't that take a lot of memory to display those screenshots of the apps open? Especially for a mobile device that's quite taxing. I was using a friends iPhone the other day and he doesn't close a lot of his apps.. lol

kaizer85
May 9, 2012, 09:50 PM
they should add this feature..the ability to take a picture while recording video..some htc phones already have that feature.

nuckinfutz
May 9, 2012, 09:59 PM
they should add this feature..the ability to take a picture while recording video..some htc phones already have that feature.

Wouldn't eat be easier just to take a still frame shot from the video stream?

MythicFrost
May 9, 2012, 11:17 PM
What I want:

1) Much better file sharing between apps. I want something intuitive, quick, and easy, that allows me to share files between apps

2) When I download an app, instead of exiting the App Store and scrolling to the correct home screen, I want it to stay in the app and curl the side of the page up so you can see where it goes, but not have to go back into the App Store. Or, simply display something which shows you've downloaded it and remain in the App Store -- maybe like in Safari when you open a tab in the background and it bounces up and down to the tab button at the bottom right.

3) Revamped YouTube app and Widgets

moonman239
May 10, 2012, 06:06 PM
I put my thoughts to your fixes in bold. I agree with most of them. I'm not asking for a major UI overhaul but some changes are needed.

I'm running iOS5.1 and I can add pictures to albums. Here's what you have to do:

1) Go to your Camera Roll.
2) Tap the icon on the top.
3) Tap on all the pictures you want to move to an album
4) Tap "Add to Existing Album" or "Create New Album".
You can figure out the rest.

twigman08
May 10, 2012, 09:05 PM
I'm running iOS5.1 and I can add pictures to albums. Here's what you have to do:

1) Go to your Camera Roll.
2) Tap the icon on the top.
3) Tap on all the pictures you want to move to an album
4) Tap "Add to Existing Album" or "Create New Album".
You can figure out the rest.

Yes, but it stays in the Camera roll. You're essentially just copying the photo and pasting it all around. Why does every photo I take or or something must get saved to the camera roll? We just want to take a photo and then if we want to move that photo to a different place without it staying in the Camera Roll.

chriscrk
May 10, 2012, 11:05 PM
I doubt we'll see major UI changes. Changes are gradual.
If it's going to be different, it should become different in a logical way, following steps that make sense, not just changing the whole look for the sake of it,

Defender2010
May 11, 2012, 11:23 AM
I would love to see a full screen notification centre when slid downwards on the iPad featuring weather and stocks widgets like the iPhone, plus APIs for developers to allow their own to be available there. These can be moved about and resized at our leisure...perhaps reserving the right hand side for notifications such as emails etc...like Mountain Lion. Works in Landscape and Portrait mode.
iPhone would see more widgets added and the ability to reorder them as you please.

Also the syncing of notifications across devices. They are sent to all available devices/mac and if read on one, they disappear from the others instantly, without the need for opening the app. Plus, if dismissed from notification centre, it removes the little number icon from the app instantly too.

Siri out of beta and available on the new iPad. Yes we know we need to be connected to use it and obviously won't try or criticise it when we are not! (wifi only users) Just let us have it :)
Top Siri requests: take a photo/video, uk places/directions, open apps, tweet, smoother Siri voice, faster!

iCloud photo locker (permanent using iCloud storage- buy more if needed)
Perhaps some photostream web app on iCloud.com and the ability to permanently pin and view photos there in albums whilst the unpinned ones stream between devices as they do now. Pinned photos can be viewed on all devices "iTunes match style" and downloaded if needed.

New maps app

Swipe up to open multitasking bar!

Attachments from within the Mail app

Arelunde
May 11, 2012, 04:17 PM
I'm really REALLY hoping iOS6 integrates closely with the upcoming OS Mountain Lion. As it is now, my iPhone4 and iPad 2 sync beautifully via iCloud, but my MBP is severely limited in this respect.

In addition, a folder system for iOS devices would be a quantum leap forward. Perhaps this will be addressed in iOS6/Mountain Lion compatibility. Without a file system independent of apps, the iDevices are severely limited for serious work use and cut off from the Macs without a third party app such as Dropbox. I'd prefer to keep all files/folders under the Apple/iCloud umbrella for security sake. There are now so many "clouds" out there, it's scary to think of personal data being scattered across multiple unknown places.

Richardgm
May 12, 2012, 10:38 AM
- Quick toggles
- FaceTime over 3G
- Turn by Turn navigation built in
- Try before you buy apps (one can only dream)
- Siri API (& more commands)
- iMessage via iCloud web
- Edit music tags on iOS
- Remove dictation icon without removing Siri.
- Better multitasking on iPad
- Notification syncing across devices (maybe in iOS 7?)
- iTunes Match that "just works"
- Improved Game Center with iMessage support & better friend discovery
- Ability to change default apps (browser & mail specifically)
- Clearing Notification Center item clears badge, option.
- Removing/ hiding pre-installed apps.
- Lyrics back in Music.app on iPad.
- Scrolling folders
- Status-bar notification icon(s)
- Cart for mobile app stores

Cod3rror
May 12, 2012, 03:00 PM
- Removing/ hiding pre-installed apps.

IMO Apple should do like Google does and create modulated OS, where you can simply uninstall or remove the pre-installed apps, and they should also be updated independently of the OS.

Cynicalone
May 12, 2012, 03:46 PM
The one feature I want more than any other is an iCloud version of Dropbox baked into the OS. Just adding that would improve the OS significantly.

Giuly
May 12, 2012, 03:50 PM
- Cart for mobile app stores

Is there any purpose of that, or did you just see that on <insert other mobile OS here>?

kirky29
May 12, 2012, 04:03 PM
Is there any purpose of that, or did you just see that on <insert other mobile OS here>?

A cart for the app store would be great, it's annoying at the moment, having to enter the password then it takes you to the home screen, then have to reopen the app store, go back download another...back to home...back to app store....

A cart would make that so much easier :)

Tom8
May 12, 2012, 06:39 PM
TechCrunch is reporting the following for iOS 6, codename "Sundance"

Siri API's
Siri for iPad
Further iCloud/mountain lion integration

http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/11/ios-6-and-the-sundance-kid/

Obviously Apple manages to keep a lot of things under wraps as far as iOS updates are concerned. Like with iOS 5, no one really knew about the following:
Camera updates
iMessages
Reminders
Mail updates
Twitter integration
Safari updates

We sort of knew about Newstand before after seeing patent applications (I think). Plus, code was found in previous iOS files that suggested a "PC Free" iOS was coming too

CyBeRino
May 12, 2012, 07:08 PM
Interesting, I didn't think AT&T tallied up data usage real-time. I thought they reconciled usage at around 1 am. So the usage meter, via the app, shouldn't be accurate until the next day. The usage meter on the phone should actually be accurate since Apple would know when the cellular radio is being used.

The network knows exactly how many bytes you've sent to and received from it at any given moment. However, the system that tells the app how much you've been using may only receive aggregate data periodically.

Btw, the network and the phone have different ideas of how to count data. Or, well, the network itself and the phone probably don't differ much, but the network's billing system has some weird ideas. So you should look at the counter on the phone only as an indication and assume the billed usage will be higher. (Carriers don't know what rounding down is; all they know to do is round up.)

Jagardn
May 12, 2012, 07:08 PM
Yes, but it stays in the Camera roll. You're essentially just copying the photo and pasting it all around. Why does every photo I take or or something must get saved to the camera roll? We just want to take a photo and then if we want to move that photo to a different place without it staying in the Camera Roll.

It's the same way it works in iPhoto and Aperture. The original files remain where they are, the album image is just a link to the image.

Richardgm
May 13, 2012, 09:30 AM

A cart/wish list is very useful for finding an app and bookmarking it for future reference or purchase.

jvmxtra
May 13, 2012, 10:51 AM
Excellent thread.

Yes, apple is becoming microsoft.. I am sorry but that's true. Unfortunately, I don't see much change in ios 6.. All their change is pretty incremental. That's what happens when company is very successful. They cannot make much change because existing product is such a success(Look at microsoft's OS.. all looks same and maintains as much backward compatible as possible)... Sorry guys, but apple is new MS

Chabba
May 13, 2012, 11:44 AM
I only have 4 things I'd like to see. Everything else is just gravy.

I'd like to add songs to the music app without using iTunes. I have friends who post their music online. I want to download the mp3 via a browser and add it to the music app.

On the iPhone, I'd like a slider for screen brightness nice or below the volume slider next to the music controls. It works well with jailbroken devices.

Android-like navigation. It'll never happen because there are too many navigation developers. :(

The ability to delete built-in apps, or disable them from showing via Settings.

GalvaJ
May 13, 2012, 07:17 PM
... That's what happens when company is very successful. They cannot make much change because existing product is such a success(Look at microsoft's OS.. all looks same and maintains as much backward compatible as possible)... Sorry guys, but apple is new MS

So I'm guessing that you haven't seen Windows 8? :rolleyes:

jvmxtra
May 13, 2012, 07:51 PM
So I'm guessing that you haven't seen Windows 8? :rolleyes:

What I was refering to is : if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

That's where apple is at right now.

For MS, to survive and compete in a mobile sector, they had to come out w/ windows 8

GalvaJ
May 13, 2012, 09:25 PM
What I was refering to is : if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

I like the quote, "If it ain't broke, don't break it."

iOS has been out since Summer '07 and the only changes that have been made is the look of switches in the Settings and the Camera button on the Lock Screen. It's time for something bigger to happen. Spice things up for once.

jvmxtra
May 13, 2012, 10:13 PM

It's time for something bigger to happen. Spice things up for once.

Me 2!

diamond.g
May 15, 2012, 04:20 PM
The network knows exactly how many bytes you've sent to and received from it at any given moment. However, the system that tells the app how much you've been using may only receive aggregate data periodically.

Btw, the network and the phone have different ideas of how to count data. Or, well, the network itself and the phone probably don't differ much, but the network's billing system has some weird ideas. So you should look at the counter on the phone only as an indication and assume the billed usage will be higher. (Carriers don't know what rounding down is; all they know to do is round up.)

yeah rounding down is a pipe dream

bisnicks
May 16, 2012, 10:22 PM

iOS has been out since Summer '07 and the only changes that have been made is the look of switches in the Settings and the Camera button on the Lock Screen. It's time for something bigger to happen. Spice things up for once.

Totally agree.

marcusj0015
May 17, 2012, 04:50 AM
I've been using iOS since it was still called iPhone OS 2.0 and the UI does not bother me at all. In my eyes I can't see anything wrong with it.

I think Apple could shrink the menubar and button areas of the apps so the content gets more space. Especially with iAds taking up SO MUCH SPACE, theres more UI chrome than app.

Cod3rror
May 18, 2012, 04:36 AM
I want Safari URL bar and the search bar to be united like in OSX Mountain Lion.

ADMProducer
May 18, 2012, 10:01 AM
Switchy is worthy of full implementation on iOS 6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtwKsL5Ywe8&feature=g-all-u

ct2k7
May 18, 2012, 10:58 AM

Switchy does look nice, but the "Clear Apps" button is misplaced. Further, We've now got two ways to get to the Settings app, we only need one.

Cod3rror
May 18, 2012, 11:21 AM

Cool tweak, thanks!

Do you know if it works with Zephyr?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1UyGU4vF6M

Slayter
May 18, 2012, 12:07 PM
I think, Apple is Locked-in in it's own UI guidlines, there is not many thing they can do to make iOS new looking and at the same time not going against their own rules of UI etc.

They simply wont do all new UI, because Mountain Lion is all about OS X and current looking iOS. So making all new iOS now, don't make any sense.
I expect small improvements and more API for Siri, maybe new maps... But nothing groundbreaking.

shurcooL
May 18, 2012, 12:16 PM
but the "Clear Apps" button is misplaced.

In addition to the fact it's unneeded (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmh4gqlEMMo).

ADMProducer
May 18, 2012, 12:23 PM
Switchy does look nice, but the "Clear Apps" button is misplaced. Further, We've now got two ways to get to the Settings app, we only need one.

I don't think Apple would implement "Clear Apps", however the Settings shortcut makes sense. Saves going to the home screen to do things like turn wi-fi on when you're already in an app simply because not many leave Settings open in the app switcher. If you don't leave it in the app switcher, you'll need to close the app and go to your first page of the springboard.

I could certainly see the addition of buttons for wifi on/off bluetooth on/off and data on/off in Switchy. Would be perfect with this implemented.

Cool tweak, thanks!

Do you know if it works with Zephyr?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1UyGU4vF6M

Yep, works with Zephyr.

Slayter
May 18, 2012, 12:32 PM
In addition to the fact it's unneeded (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmh4gqlEMMo).

But I would never leave navigation app or skype in the background, because it sucks battery very fast.
So not killing all apps, but some of them yes some of them you need to manage.

ct2k7
May 18, 2012, 08:32 PM

Inactive -> Interrupted / (Background / Suspended).

Cod3rror
May 19, 2012, 05:25 AM
Yep, works with Zephyr.

Thanks!

appleaddictx
May 19, 2012, 10:53 AM
I agree 100% with the turn-by-turn direction map concept. Then again, why should Apple still use Google Maps when there are so many better programs. Google is getting too powerful for Apple to rely on. It is a great search engine, but, like Apple, it takes it's popularity for granted. And somehow, Google receives some strange sort of respect for it's mediocre, mostly 2-dimensional, low-detail map.
I also do not think that the multitasker needs too much improvement. The way it is expressed by you makes me think you want it to be a full-screen feature. That really eats away at the idea of convenience. Your request for more wallpapers is also pretty useless. If people want more wallpapers they get an app and erase it later or find a website that has some good ones.
New Siri functions would be nice, but there would probably not be too many third-party apps you could interact with past entering them with Siri. If your idea of Facebook integration becomes a reallity, possible you could post to your wall, or Tweet with Twitter. A hint to this is that the current Siri was programmed with the knowledge to admit that she could not send Tweets currently.
You complained about the lack of location-based weather, though there already is one. You just enable it in Loaction Services and you get a Local Weather location in your Weather app
Deleting Apple's built-in apps is a little rardical. You should just be able to go into Settings and "turn them off" your personal data in the app would be saved, but the app would not appear unless you turn it back on in Settings. Of course that means you cannot hide the Settings app.
I do not think you mentioned it, but I am glad you did not mention widgets. Some may find them usefull, but I just see them as a waste of space and a lack of order. It is one of the things that makes Apple's so called "boring OS" so distinguished though many hardly know it. Putting them in the Notification Center for non thrid-party apps only might not be to bad, but for apps outside of integration would be a little risky for Apple's perfection.

Chabba
May 19, 2012, 06:16 PM
I would really like the ability to see time stamps for every single item sent or received through iMessage. I don't know wtf they were thinking by not having that.

twigman08
May 19, 2012, 11:13 PM
I would really like the ability to see time stamps for every single item sent or received through iMessage. I don't know wtf they were thinking by not having that.

I actually want that too! Luckily their is a jailbreak tweak for it that I have.

mrsir2009
May 19, 2012, 11:28 PM
I would like to add this (http://adfoc.us/357665039113) to the list, then everything is exactly right!

What, tacky ads that you have to look at for 5 seconds before you can continue to the website the link goes to?

ZebraineZ
May 20, 2012, 12:48 AM
There should be some optimizations in the underlying software throughout the system, to speed the whole thing up. I've noticed each iteration gets slower on the previous hardware and is only pristine on the flagship it is shipped with. Now I can't really blame Apple because they want to sell devices, but this is a big problem especially in OS X with Lion that affects all computers it's installed on, even new ones. That's inexcusable and I think something needs to be done about it honestly, for iOS and OS X. Let's be honest has iOS 5 even been optimized for dual core? Or the 3GS or i4? Probably not. The software itself is already generally fast as is the hardware, so no complaints, but needless to say Apple has been lazy with the platform because they think they've reached a level of 'smoothness' and speed that it needs no further tweaking, but that's a short-sighted way of thinking through things.

I'd like an upgrade akin to Leopard and Snow Leopard combined, for iOS. Refine the UI in little places in ways we can't imagine, bring back the Apple that used to innovate with things you didn't even know you wanted and loved until you saw it. Refine iCloud backup with something like Time Machine so that there's a base backup, and then incremental backups. Of course you can choose to just have a new whole backup and delete the previous one, but still this option would be nice. Even after awhile having a few incremental backups, be able to see them through the 'time machine view' like OS X and pick and choose stuff you want to restore that you might have delete. Something like Gatekeeper would be nice too, to make it easier for people to install stuff they want to install while having an option to be 'safeguarded' (and there would be descriptions warning people if they choose so and so).

nuckinfutz
May 20, 2012, 01:52 AM
There should be some optimizations in the underlying software throughout the system, to speed the whole thing up. I've noticed each iteration gets slower on the previous hardware and is only pristine on the flagship it is shipped with. Now I can't really blame Apple because they want to sell devices, but this is a big problem especially in OS X with Lion that affects all computers it's installed on, even new ones. That's inexcusable and I think something needs to be done about it honestly, for iOS and OS X. Let's be honest has iOS 5 even been optimized for dual core? Or the 3GS or i4? Probably not. The software itself is already generally fast as is the hardware, so no complaints, but needless to say Apple has been lazy with the platform because they think they've reached a level of 'smoothness' and speed that it needs no further tweaking, but that's a short-sighted way of thinking through things.

I'd like an upgrade akin to Leopard and Snow Leopard combined, for iOS. Refine the UI in little places in ways we can't imagine, bring back the Apple that used to innovate with things you didn't even know you wanted and loved until you saw it. Refine iCloud backup with something like Time Machine so that there's a base backup, and then incremental backups. Of course you can choose to just have a new whole backup and delete the previous one, but still this option would be nice. Even after awhile having a few incremental backups, be able to see them through the 'time machine view' like OS X and pick and choose stuff you want to restore that you might have delete. Something like Gatekeeper would be nice too, to make it easier for people to install stuff they want to install while having an option to be 'safeguarded' (and there would be descriptions warning people if they choose so and so).

Optimizations are always happening in both hardware and software. The reality though is hardware that is two years old is two years removed in evolution and that makes a big deal.

For instance when Apple delivered the first File Vault encryption it leaned on the CPU to handle the encryption/decryption and could only encrypt the user library and the speed hit was evident. Today File Vault encrypts the entire hard and eternals with only a slight performance penalty. This is because of new acceleration properties in Intel Sandy Bridge. This performance simply wasn't available two years ago so it appears that the software isn't optimized but there really wasn't anything the software could be optimized for.

Apple is constantly moving forward with better frameworks for developers to utilize that leverage newer hardware features and the end result is a faster computer although not much can be done for older computers that simply do not have the hardware features to keep up.

Josh M
May 20, 2012, 08:38 AM
I'd just like to be pleasantly surprised after the WWDC. No huge expectations of it, just some nice features to look forward to!

bisnicks
May 22, 2012, 09:23 AM
only ~20 days left until we find out!

Cod3rror
May 22, 2012, 10:24 AM
I'd just like to be pleasantly surprised after the WWDC. No huge expectations of it, just some nice features to look forward to!

Yea, I'd really like that, some nice, useful feature that we haven't thought of. But these days there are so many tweaks and concepts, a surprise is hard to pull off.

palmerc2
May 23, 2012, 08:37 PM
I'd like a few features which I currently use by jailbreaking, I'd like to have it natively in iOS so I don't need to jailbreak.

-Separate signatures for each email account
-Full quality videos on YouTube as if on wifi
-More icons in folders / scrolling folders
-Quick toggle to turn on/off wifi, bluetooth, change brightness, airplane mode, etc. I currently do this by swiping right on the status bar.
-More pages in safari, not just 8.

What else can you folks think of that's reasonable to expect Apple to implement in iOS6?

PatrickW98
May 23, 2012, 08:54 PM
Group FaceTime

McGiord
May 23, 2012, 09:17 PM
X button to close all open Apps.
Landscape Orientation Lock.

iphone X
May 23, 2012, 09:27 PM
a button to go from a facetime call to a regular call.:o

rever3nce
May 23, 2012, 09:28 PM
notification from lock screen! :)

AppleFanatic10
May 23, 2012, 11:32 PM
Group FaceTime

That would be awesome but I doubt that'll happen.

AppleFanatic10
May 23, 2012, 11:32 PM
3G FaceTime! :-)

mrsir2009
May 23, 2012, 11:37 PM
X button to close all open Apps.
Landscape Orientation Lock.

Yeah, landscape/portrait orentation lock would be nice for those times when you're lying down using your iPhone sideways :)

Shepphard
May 24, 2012, 01:57 AM
An app in app feature would also be awesome! Like, you want to read your twitter feed and at the same time watch a TV Series on your iPad! But iPhone and iPod's will be too small for that though. Hmmm.... maybe it will be possible with a larger screen? Hmm.....

macbook pro i5
May 24, 2012, 02:38 AM
Of line viewing of pages in safari and the OS should let me choose which app I want to launch something with.

mrsir2009
May 24, 2012, 02:47 AM
Of line viewing of pages in safari and the OS should let me choose which app I want to launch something with.

It already does let you choose which app you want to launch things with (PDF's, for example), doesn't it?

macbook pro i5
May 24, 2012, 02:52 AM
It already does let you choose which app you want to launch things with (PDF's, for example), doesn't it?

No,For example I want to launch a news article but I want to use opera it wont let me and only launch in safari.

mrsir2009
May 24, 2012, 02:54 AM
No,For example I want to launch a news article but I want to use opera it wont let me and only launch in safari.

True, true... Do you use Opera? :p

macbook pro i5
May 24, 2012, 02:56 AM
True, true... Do you use Opera? :p

No that was just an example though,I would like to see the iPad become my main machine but iOS is to limiting for me:( wish they would make it more powerful:(

mrsir2009
May 24, 2012, 03:10 AM
No that was just an example though,I would like to see the iPad become my main machine but iOS is to limiting for me:( wish they would make it more powerful:(

What, like a filesystem?

macbook pro i5
May 24, 2012, 03:12 AM
What, like a filesystem?

More than that:p if you ant me to explain please just ask:p

mrsir2009
May 24, 2012, 03:26 AM
More than that:p if you ant me to explain please just ask:p

Explain? :p

macbook pro i5
May 24, 2012, 03:43 AM
Explain? :p

Two programs at once,photoshop,Gaming,dreamweaver etc.

daviddth
May 24, 2012, 12:00 PM
-Separate signatures for each email account
-Full quality videos on YouTube as if on wifi
-Quick toggle to turn on/off wifi, bluetooth, change brightness, airplane mode, etc. I currently do this by swiping right on the status bar.

These definately. The signatures are something that has annoyed me for some time, and the quick toggles could easily be added on the double tap and swipe to get the audio player controls - add 4 more icons above there as quick toggles.

I'd also like widgets, but more specifically the ability for other apps to use the notification center. Live updatable icons for things like temperatures, sports results etc.

The ability to remove any icon and app, even those that come with iOS (With the exception of items like settings). I have no use for Newsstand, the default weather program, and Stocks on my iPhone at all

Add to that the ability to select a new default browser, calender, mail program, clock etc. Everyone said that Microsoft was evil by shipping IE with the OS, but you could make another browser the default if you wanted. Maybe Apple should allow companies to submit "replacement" items that undergo more strict testing and have to abide by certain conditions, have certain features etc.

Better Siri. Basically it sucks here in Australia. No localisation, 2/3 of the time I go to use it to do something it cant connect, and it needs the ability to integrate with other applications. "How do I get to York Street, Sydney" (Shows me on map), "Open Tom Tom and take me there" - Siri opens Tom Tom application, adds the address, and starts navigation.

LIVEFRMNYC
May 24, 2012, 12:48 PM
I'm still waiting for Bluetooth transfers.

mrsir2009
May 24, 2012, 01:10 PM

Haha, I don't think pro apps like gaming and dreamweaver would work very well with a touchscreen, would they? And gaming... iOS already has gaming?

sulliweb
May 24, 2012, 05:17 PM

Now, here's an interesting thought... Sidebar in landscape mode with a feed like flipboard that mashes everything together, Facebook, twitter, flickr, other social media, news, all of it. You add the feeds and it displays them. Then, with something like notification center, you can swipe into the frame from the left and it comes up.

Just another thought. Doubt it will happen, but who knows...

PatrickW98
May 24, 2012, 09:27 PM
Group FaceTime calls please!

IDANNY
May 24, 2012, 09:54 PM
Ability to send only iMessages to Certain Numbers.

The Ability to Use your phone number to receive iMessages on your iPad and Mac. : )

macbook pro i5
May 24, 2012, 10:44 PM
Haha, I don't think pro apps like gaming and dreamweaver would work very well with a touchscreen, would they? And gaming... iOS already has gaming?

Thats exactly why I said I cant use my iPad for college!
Oh and I mean games like Battle Field 3 and such.

macbook pro i5
May 25, 2012, 12:48 AM
Now, here's an interesting thought... Sidebar in landscape mode with a feed like flipboard that mashes everything together, Facebook, twitter, flickr, other social media, news, all of it. You add the feeds and it displays them. Then, with something like notification center, you can swipe into the frame from the left and it comes up.

Just another thought. Doubt it will happen, but who knows...

That is actually pretty interesting!

kristoffer4
May 26, 2012, 05:36 AM
These are almost certain:

New Apple maps app
Sync of videos in fotostream
Photoshare via icloud

Theses are the ones I am hoping for:

Multiusers for ipad
Better multitask switching
More windows on the screen at the same time for ipad.
Sync of notifications via icloud
Better cut and paste.

Tuaw also made a list:
http://www.tuaw.com/2012/05/05/15-suggestions-for-ios-6/

EthanMiller
May 26, 2012, 10:06 AM
The biggest thing I want for the new iOS is project-based organization rather than app-based. Now, I don't mean a file system necessarily.

In my head, I can picture this being done with a new app called Projects or something to that effect. It holds individual projects, each of which consists of any number of files from any number of apps. So, you could have a research paper project that includes all your PDFs from iBooks and some Pages documents.

The big advantage of this is that when working on a project (as college students are wont to do), everything relevant is in one place instead of scattered wherever. By organizing the things together, files wouldn't be lost in the "what app did I do that in?" quest again.

Ideally, this would sync via iCloud to all iOS and Mac devices, which would allow you to save a PDF to a project on your Mac, read it on your iPad, then create a Pages document while on the go on your iPad and pick it up on your Mac when you got home.

On the application side, some implementation would probably need to be changed. An "Add to project..." button in the share widget thing would probably be appropriate.

Redjericho
May 26, 2012, 01:03 PM
Simply create a folder called "ApplicationDocuments"

And make it required for any document that any application creates after being installed (saved games, text files, videos, etc...) be saved in this folder, and then give all applications access the files as well. It will be optionally disableable by the user for the application to save these files there, similar to asking for notifications. "would like to send you push notifications" it would be "would like to disable global document sharing" . You can make a PDF in pages and open it up in good reader to annotate it.

iEvolution
May 26, 2012, 07:12 PM
#1 FILE SYSTEM, though I'm certain Apple won't do this.

#2 BETTER MULTI-TASKING SUPPORT, the stuff you have to do to bring the dock up is awful, the four finger swipe is not fluid nor is the home page double click. Get it reduced to two fingers at least.

#3 BETTER APP KILLING ABILITIES, eliminate the need to hold my finger on the icon to remove it from the app dock, should just be available when I get the dock open.

#4 MULTI WINDOW SUPPORT FOR IPAD, it's time to give the iPad something a little extra vs it's partners (touch and iPhone). It'd be pretty cool to see multiple windows being able to be opened up at the same time and be able to manipulate them as you please, but like the file system request I bet this one won't happen either.

#5 NEW KEYBOARD OPTION, I find the split keyboard to be FAR too small and is quite annoying to type with, yet together I cannot thumb type because the device is too wide. I would like to see the ability to adjust the size of the keyboard.

#6 BACKGROUND DOWNLOADS, I don't know if I'm the only one that finds this annoying as hell but I really hate it when I go to download an app through the iPad it takes me back to the home screen so then I have to open up the app again to get back to the store. I don't understand this because when I use my PC it doesn't return me to the desktop when I start a download where is the logic in doing this in iOS?

#7 AIRPLANE MODE, I know iOS already has it but it'd be much quicker and easier to use if they added it to the dock. Even better, the ability to use the switch on the side of the iPad to activate/deactivate airplane mode.

#8 DEFAULT BROWSER. You should be able to set your default browser. Currently if a new window opens up its ALWAYS in Safari. I don't understand how they are able to lock you in like this, I find it not to be much different from the Microsoft fiasco with Internet Explorer.

MXSkier62
May 26, 2012, 08:16 PM
I know it's been said, but really all I think ABSOLUTELY needs to be fixed is the iPads music app. It's just terrible. Bring back the app from ios 4 and we're good.

frozzbite
May 27, 2012, 02:11 AM
I hope for significant improvements to iMessage.

One that sends FASTER (just do a simple comparison to whatsapp).
And allows me to start typing the next message the moment I hit the send button for the previous message.

Ability to send contacts directly from the iMessage app itself. Instead of heading to contacts and then sending it from there via iMessage.

Ability to share my location natively from iMessage

Ability to share Documents!! I know this is a long shot. But theres always hope.

tkwolf
May 27, 2012, 03:47 AM
As far as the UI overhaul... I'm not talking anything dramatic. Just freshen some things up, add new transitions, update icons, etc. The Youtube icon is a perfect example of an icon that I think could be updated. How about the iTunes store logo? They don't just sell music, they sell movies now as well. I think we'll start seeing major UI changes once OS 11 comes around.

Maybe it wont hurt to increase the amount of applications you can put on your dock from 4 to maybe 6? And definitely some UI refresh but not too drastic though, I love the simplicity of the iOS. And a better way of killing apps being paused in the background would really be a better thing.

Dr McKay
May 27, 2012, 04:08 AM
Wouldn't eat be easier just to take a still frame shot from the video stream?

But then you'd have an image thats 1920x1080, not full 8MP.

Tom8
May 27, 2012, 04:21 AM
#5 FRESHEN UP THE OS, I feel like the interface needs some fixing up. We've had the same interface since its creation in 2007 (5 years). I'd love to see the ability to group icons into one folder (something like Android ICS does) so I can cut down on the amount of screens I have to swipe through. For example, make a folder called browsers and be able to put my browsers in it and when I touch it the apps pop up in a small window.

Forgive me if I've misunderstood you, but iOS already has something similar to what you've described. Press & hold on an app to make it wiggle, then drag it onto of another App to make a folder, then you can name the folder and put up to 12 apps in it.

ThatsMeRight
May 27, 2012, 04:46 AM
Thanks! I look forward to hearing your responses!
I'm sorry for the late response, but here it finally is.

I've taken seven points out of your list to respond on.

1) Maps overhaul
I agree with this one. I hope Apple is going to use their own (acquired) technologies, but I also hope they'll still give users the option to use the maps of Google.

I think they will still rely on Google for streetview. Apple has acquired a company who is specialized in streetview as well, but let's not forget that Google has Streetview in a lot of countries.

The Maps application definitely needs turn-by-turn navigation as well. It should be on par with Android's Google Maps application.

2) UI overhaul
I agree that there should be refreshments. They shouldn't change the whole OS, but I agree that they could change some colours, re-do some buttons and stuff. Other things would be a re-designed homescreen, a redesigned multitasking bar, a redesigned notification center and visual adjustments to the springboard.

Many small changes should do the trick.

3) Sharing integration
Yes, but not too much. They should keep it simple and users who don't want to use it, should not be bothered with it.

4) Siri enhancements
I couldn't care less about Siri. It's nice to show others, but for a lot of people it's still not accurate enough and it still doesn't support enough languages. Siri will only catch my eye as soon as it becomes JUST AS intelligent as a real person and understands basically everything you say.

5) Notifications in status bar
No, it will become too busy. I've seen people trying to figure out what 'that icon' is on Android devices before.

6) A camera with basic settings
Fine, but by default it should be turned off. Users must manually turn it on in the Settings app. Only power users want these settings. Most people, on Android, are troubled by the camera app.

7) YouTube app
Should definitely be rebuild. The thing that bothers my most, actually, is the low-quality when you play a video over 3G networks.

----------

#5 FRESHEN UP THE OS, I feel like the interface needs some fixing up. We've had the same interface since its creation in 2007 (5 years). I'd love to see the ability to group icons into one folder (something like Android ICS does) so I can cut down on the amount of screens I have to swipe through. For example, make a folder called browsers and be able to put my browsers in it and when I touch it the apps pop up in a small window.
Well, uhm, this is akward... you do know that it's been possible to create folders for years now?

Tar Sniffer
May 27, 2012, 06:20 AM
I hope they stop photos taken from the front camera from flipping.

MythicFrost
May 27, 2012, 07:02 AM
Hopefully iOS 6 will have greatly improved file sharing. And the ability to set default apps for certain things maybe?

iEvolution
May 27, 2012, 10:07 AM
Forgive me if I've misunderstood you, but iOS already has something similar to what you've described. Press & hold on an app to make it wiggle, then drag it onto of another App to make a folder, then you can name the folder and put up to 12 apps in it.

I didn't even know that, lol thanks a bunch.

----------

Well, uhm, this is akward... you do know that it's been possible to create folders for years now?

Thanks. Now I know where android got it from.

Rogifan
May 27, 2012, 11:57 AM
Please Apple give us the ability to organize videos in playlists and let us access them from the video app, not the music app (like on the iPhone). I download a lot of videos from YouTube and have no way of organizing them on the iPad. Playlists work on the iPhone/iPod Touch but you have to access them through the music app. What in the world is the reasoning behind this?

Chabba
May 27, 2012, 12:19 PM
Here is one I'd like to see ripped straight from Android.
In Android's web browser, if there is an address on the page, you can click it to choose which app to open it in. You get the option of the Maps app, Google maps via the browser or a different navigation app if you have one installed.

Selecting, copying, pasting to put an address in Maps or a navigation app from the browser is silly.

StyxMaker
May 27, 2012, 05:34 PM
That would make sense!

----------

If they don't include this, I think it's going to be a major disappointment for everyone. Not sure what else they could include that would make iOS 6 so great.

Since I have Navigon on my iP4S I really could not care less if they include turn by turn directions in OS6.

bisnicks
May 29, 2012, 09:07 AM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1377320

Looks like the redesigned maps is a go! I feel like if they include 3D mapping, they'll use it for directions as well. Hopefully turn by turn!

Also, as noted by BGR, the app has a silver bar at the top opposed to the current blue one that the iPhone uses. This may indicate a very slight system wide UI refresh.

rovex
May 29, 2012, 10:26 AM
Mission Control wouldn't go amiss.

1080p Youtube videos too.

APlotdevice
May 29, 2012, 03:29 PM
A central documents folder:
Not a full file system. Just one neutral area for files. Perhaps using metatags, rather than conventional sub-folders, to keep things organized.

Relaxed multitasking restrictions while your iDevice is plugged in:
Such as allowing apps to make pre-scheduled downloads and uploads.

Ability to reply to IMs without switching apps.

Option to save and display photos from CCK attached camera as they are shot:
Imagine being able to immediately review photos from your DSLR on that gorgeous iPad 3 display.

Ability to display your music library from the multitasking bar by holding down on the play button.

Optional Magic Mouse support for the iPad:
For primarily when using an external keyboard, so you don't have to reach over to the iPad. I figure the magic mouse could emulate all the essential multitouch gestures.

Better support for secondary functions on BT keyboard:
Eg. page up/down; map mission control to multitasking bar.

Lower minimum brightness setting for the iPad:
iBooks can set it lower; I'd like that option to be universal.

In-app stortcuts to settings app:
While a lot of apps offer settings internally, many others embed theirs in the settings app. It's annoying inconsistent. What I would like to see is the option for developers who do use the settings app to offer a shortcut to their specific page, with a button at the top to go back when you're down. Similar to how the "store" button works in the Music and Video apps.

ThisIsNotMe
May 29, 2012, 06:09 PM
The only feature Apple absolutely needs to introduce in IOS 6 is some version of AdBlock Plus.

I couldn't care less about anything else.

(not only would it vastly improve user experience but it would also give the middle finger to Google)

QuarterSwede
May 29, 2012, 06:37 PM
Really great suggestions made here man. I hope some consideration is taken towards the concerns you have posted here. We will see in the end result.
Check out OnCue. That's exactly what it does.

kiwiboi87
May 30, 2012, 09:17 PM
one word

NFC

samsung phones now support it,
and one of the vendors in New Zealand support as well, for bus cards etc
so i would be keen to see NFC, in iOS 6

Sensamic
May 30, 2012, 09:36 PM
I think most of you guys will be dissapointed when iOS 6 features are announced.

You know what kind of new stuff Apple likes to bring with each new iOS?

Lets remember what happened last year... Reminders App? Oh, cool! New newsstand App? So cool! And they called those two of the ten biggest new features... So be prepared to be dissapointed again...

The things Im expecting surely are new Maps App, facebook integration and, as always, new stuff for the classic apps like Safari, Mail, Photos, etc.

Nothing more.

ZepFloyd
Jun 2, 2012, 08:56 PM
i'm sure its been mentioned, but an obvious addition should be the ability to subscribe to podcasts through the itunes iphone app itself. shouldn't have to connect to a pc/mac for that.

EDIT: actually to add to this apple should basically just make the itunes app into almost a stitcher clone. allow people to subscribe, stream and download if they wish podcasts, as well as notifying you of new episodes being available. couldn't be that hard to add those types of options into it i wouldnt think.

faroZ06
Jun 2, 2012, 09:12 PM
i'm sure its been mentioned, but an obvious addition should be the ability to subscribe to podcasts through the itunes iphone app itself. shouldn't have to connect to a pc/mac for that.

Hey nice username!

Anyway, I like some of these ideas. Apple could learn from those Cydia packages. I don't think we need a major UI overhaul, though. I'm fine with the integration with social networking as long as it is completely optional like Twitter is (because I don't like to use social networking).

----------

Ability to remove some of the preinstalled apps could be nice though...

I have a folder on my iPhone labeled "S***" that I put useless stuff in (like the iTunes Store), and I just put it on the last screen.

applefanDrew
Jun 2, 2012, 09:58 PM
one word

NFC

NFC will come in next year's iPhone and iOS 7.

ajvizzgamer101
Jun 2, 2012, 10:36 PM
NFC will come in next year's iPhone and iOS 7.

This year

applefanDrew
Jun 2, 2012, 11:15 PM
This year

Nope. We're getting LTE and a 4 inch screen this year. NFC next year

iThinkergoiMac
Jun 2, 2012, 11:30 PM
one word

NFC

Uh... not possible. You'd need additional hardware. You can't magically enable NFC on hardware that doesn't have it. The next iPhone could have NFC, and then iOS 6 would support it, but it still wouldn't bring NFC to any iDevice currently in existence...

ajvizzgamer101
Jun 3, 2012, 07:42 AM
Nope. We're getting LTE and a 4 inch screen this year. NFC next year

Lol, where is the revolution in that. Apple has iPay up there sleeves to be its Siri or it's retina display. 4g and 4inch screen are not special features. iPad has both.

applefanDrew
Jun 3, 2012, 09:16 AM
Lol, where is the revolution in that. Apple has iPay up there sleeves to be its Siri or it's retina display. 4g and 4inch screen are not special features. iPad has both.

There is no revolution. It's evolution.

bisnicks
Jun 6, 2012, 05:17 PM
5 days!

rhett7660
Jun 6, 2012, 06:10 PM
In regards to the App store, I hope they allow you to stay within the App store when you are shopping and downloading. I hate it when you click the update button and it closes the store. You have to relaunch the store. Or when you download a new app the store closes. You have the relaunch the store. Just keep it open when I am done with it, I will close it down.

I like the ideas presented here a lot.

Cod3rror
Jun 7, 2012, 04:18 AM
I want a data usage tracker, like Android has.

Where you can set limits, monitor statistics, which app uses the most data, etc...

MythicFrost
Jun 7, 2012, 05:04 AM
I'd like a battery life tracker xD

henk2055
Jun 7, 2012, 11:40 AM
I know this will never happen, but…

1) Cut the ties to iTunes and make it an independent OS. If someone wants to use iTunes, then fine, but make it optional.

2) iOS needs to enable file transfers between apps or implement a ”Finder like” app. For example, if i have a song on my dropbox, why on earth is it impossible to put that song in the music app without hooking up my iOS device to a computer and go via iTunes.

These are my two biggest concerns.

B777Forevar
Jun 8, 2012, 08:38 PM
All I want on iOS 6 is FLAC support.

Tyler23
Jun 8, 2012, 08:55 PM
I know this will never happen, but…

1) Cut the ties to iTunes and make it an independent OS. If someone wants to use iTunes, then fine, but make it optional.

2) iOS needs to enable file transfers between apps or implement a ”Finder like” app. For example, if i have a song on my dropbox, why on earth is it impossible to put that song in the music app without hooking up my iOS device to a computer and go via iTunes.

These are my two biggest concerns.

You don't have to use iTunes. IOS5 made iOS devices independent of computers. Now, there is no need to ever connect the phone to he computer. You still can, though.

Ay_Zimmy
Jun 8, 2012, 08:59 PM
I think most of you guys will be dissapointed when iOS 6 features are announced.

You know what kind of new stuff Apple likes to bring with each new iOS?

Lets remember what happened last year... Reminders App? Oh, cool! New newsstand App? So cool! And they called those two of the ten biggest new features... So be prepared to be dissapointed again...

The things Im expecting surely are new Maps App, facebook integration and, as always, new stuff for the classic apps like Safari, Mail, Photos, etc.

Nothing more.

The market competition wasn't the same, Apple knows there is more at stake than a few small features.. Plus thats all we needed at the time, big projects take time. Your not going to have a huge release every time.. But this time it will be.

theonekcrow
Jun 8, 2012, 10:14 PM

Or how about at least doing what they do with Nike+ and hide it if you don't need it...

dspalton
Jun 9, 2012, 06:52 AM
anyone think the extra 'line' of icons might be used as a notification / widget bar?

Dave

VolceOntra
Jun 9, 2012, 09:49 AM
The only feature Apple absolutely needs to introduce in IOS 6 is some version of AdBlock Plus.

I couldn't care less about anything else.

(not only would it vastly improve user experience but it would also give the middle finger to Google)

I know this isn't the same, but you can use glimmer blocker on the Mac and set up a proxy... This would only work on your local network.

NathanCH
Jun 9, 2012, 10:37 AM
I want Siri to be able to open applications, change settings... I want the ability for apps to display an icon in the status bar at the top of the screen. I want an envelope to show when I have new email. I want an "f" to show when I have a facebook notification, I want to see an icon that notifies that my phone is on silent, etc. I want to be able to move photos/ videos between albums on iOS. Not copy. I want to see the space used more effectively. As far as it being implemented on the iPhone and the smaller screen real estate for previews, Apple could place a small app icon at the bottom of each preview as it does in Expose in OSX.

You have a lot of demands

joshwithachance
Jun 9, 2012, 12:01 PM
So basically you want a jailbroken iPhone...

Alcookie
Jun 9, 2012, 07:48 PM
The one thing that NEEDS to be overhauled is the iPad music app. The old one was fine but iOS 5 just made it awful.

Tom8
Jun 10, 2012, 05:07 AM
The one thing that NEEDS to be overhauled is the iPad music app. The old one was fine but iOS 5 just made it awful.

I'd agree with this. It takes while to load on my iPad (3rd gen) maybe that's because all my music is in iTunes match. I think it's weird that when you viewing an artist you can only scroll down the right hand side if the screen, not the left- if that makes sense to people

MattWylde
Jun 10, 2012, 08:02 AM
Where do I begin...

Siri -
1. allow siri to toggle basic settings such as blue-tooth/wi-fi/airplane mode.
2. allow siri to read and write emails from the lock screen like you can with messages.
3. siri on iPad
4. improved/smarter dictation
5. more commands. I'd love to say an API for developers, but I think that might be tricky to implement. There's just too many ways to ask for the same thing and developers would have to add support for that.

Email -
1. Add multiple attachments when composing an email
2. multiple signatures to support different email accounts

App Store -
1. Access/edit my wish list
2. add any iTunes store item to wish list
3. Shopping Cart
4. Download apps/updates without leaving App Store app

Music App -
1. ability to adjust custom EQ settings for each song that then sync back to iCloud. I hate only having Apple's preset EQs.

2. Metadata synced and the ability to edit it. I want to change or add lyrics, adjust the Genre, correct the misspelled Album name, etc. on my iDevices.

3. Better iCloud/iMatch support. The lyrics don't current sync over from iCloud. Have you tried changing your album artwork in iTunes? It isn't easy and when you do manage to get it to stay changed to your updated image, iCloud doesn't update it on the iDevices...even when you download that song on your device after you've supposedly changed the artwork. The old artwork is downloaded to your device. This is really annoying.

4. ability to view and manage songs downloaded via iCloud on your device, separate from those available to download. I just want a list of all of the songs my device currently has on board, not a list of all iCloud songs available to me. Third party apps don't work with a link to an iCloud song. You must have that song downloaded to your device first in order for the 3rd party apps to use it.

General -
1. I like the idea someone had about putting the stock Apple apps into the App store so you could delete them at will and re-download them at will. And it does give Apple the ability to update them without updating the entire OS.

2. An updated Reminders app. More options, works better.

3. gestures support like the iPad

4. customize notification settings for individual contacts - for example, don't show missed calls from certain contacts on the home screen, but still show their call in the Phone app as a missed call, etc.

5. Notifications aren't cleared from lock screen when i unlock the phone. I want to clear them as I take care of them.

6. I DO NOT WANT WIDGETS. I hate them on the Mac/PC so I certainly don't want them cluttering up my phone or iPad. They're not worth the battery drain. Many people want this though, so I'd be good with with a toggle in Settings to turn widgets off both individually and altogether.

7. the swipe gestures for editing text quickly with the keyboard i've seen in videos online is a great idea. I'd love to see that implemented in iOS.

8. Move contacts between groups and create new groups.

9. Ability to clear individual calendar events from the notification center

10. respond to text messages without leaving your current app

11. Centralized location for files. Something similar to the Photos app would be great. This would allow better support for email attachments and sharing documents across multiple apps.

12. Sync notifications across devices. If I clear a notification on my iPhone, clear it from the iPad as well at the same time.

13. Facebook integration. Just like Twitter.

14. FaceTime over 3G

15. Improved/smarter auto-correct

ThirteenXIII
Jun 10, 2012, 08:34 AM
multiple email attachments, multiple signatures in mail and the ability to reorganize the Mail accounts in a preferred order then a set one.

If you sync via Wi-fi, you should be able to on your device (iPad, iPhone, etc) be able to browse your local iTunes library and tap and select which content you want to sync instead of going to the Mac/PC to select then sync.
That would be a great feature in my opinion. And one I would just love to have.

henk2055
Jun 10, 2012, 01:13 PM
You don't have to use iTunes. IOS5 made iOS devices independent of computers. Now, there is no need to ever connect the phone to he computer. You still can, though.

Ok, so please tell me how to move a song from the dropbox app to the music app on my iphone or ipad without using iTunes or a computer!

Risco
Jun 10, 2012, 02:01 PM
One small thing I would like is the ability to save wallpapers to the wallpaper folder rather than camera roll! I hate having my camera roll full of random papers.

Jasoco
Jun 10, 2012, 02:30 PM
I don't see a UI refresh. Apple does not change the UI drastically without purpose. When OS X came out they changed it from Platinum to Aqua because it was a whole new world. But then they kept it mostly the same over the years only changing things gradually as time went on. Remove some pinstripes, turn off opacity, add opacity and blurring there, change the color slightly, refinements in small increments. They won't change iOS a lot like Android did with 4.0. They will change things slightly in time as it progresses. As it should be. Don't change what still works fine. There's nothing wrong with how iOS looks. At all. So stop complaining about it.

I hope Siri is made even better. And it better be a software update and not a new hardware requirement just for the hell of it. It's all software anyway and mostly done on offsite servers. So I don't see that. I look forward to seeing if they give more access to developers. I want Siri to be as tightly integrated with iOS as Spotlight is with iOS and OS X. Also, I want Siri in OS X but that's another story, but it makes sense. At least to replace the aging "Voice recognition" the OS has had since the 9.x days. (Or was it 8.x?) I want to either be able to hold a key for a few seconds, or just speak a word and then tell my computer what to do. And I want developer access as well so third party apps can work with it. This would especially be awesome since I have a Mac mini server that's always on anyway. But I digress...

I too wish we could set default apps. OS X lets us. What if OS X prevented me from setting Chrome as default? Or made me always use TextEdit instead of TextWrangler? I hate that iOS always opens Safari when I click links in other apps instead of iCab. Or better yet, iOS Chrome if and when that comes out.

I don't care about Widgets. But I would like more of them in a specific place. Namely where they already are. In the Notifications area. Though I think it gets pretty cluttered in there, I'd still like third parties to be able to access that area. I mean, if I use a weather app or stocks app or something other than Apple's own versions, they should be allowed to put their own widget in there.

I'd also like a quick settings for WiFi, BlueTooth and GPS and other things to be toggled without having to launch Settings.

One small thing I would like is the ability to save wallpapers to the wallpaper folder rather than camera roll! I hate having my camera roll full of random papers.
DITTO! I HATE that they end up showing up in iPhoto's "Photo Stream". I think there should be a separate "Wallpaper" folder and maybe an option like OS X to change the wallpaper at random each hour, day, or screen wake up. Maybe have a way to choose which screen (Lock screen vs. Home screen) shows which ones. I also wish the Home Screen wallpaper scrolled slightly like Android's did. in that if it's a wide image, it will pan from left to right as you change pages. Giving it more of a 3D feel I guess.

irDigital0l
Jun 10, 2012, 03:48 PM
General
Facebook integration
Live icons for Weather and Clock app
Redesigned iTunes, App Store, iBooks app
More iCloud support
Improved multitasking
More wallpapers

Siri
iPad support
New languages
API for 3rd party developers
Just better overall....

Maps
3D view
Turn-by-turn directions

Notification Center
Do Not Disturb
Widgets
Swipe to delete & Clear All button
Notification & Badge iCloud sync

Mail
VIPs
Full-screen view
Swipe to refresh
Multiple attachments & signatures
Highlight text

Safari
Omnibar
Full-screen view
Swipe to refresh
Top Sites
Baidu
iCloud Tabs

Camera
Panorama mode
Timer & Burst option
HDR for iPad

Game Center
Game Store
Online/offline friendlist
iMessage integration
Inbox for messages, invites, friend requests

YouTube
Faster
Access account and inbox
Option to like/dislike
Swipe to refresh
Integrated searchbar in header for iPhone
Search suggestions

Reminders
Tags
Add details when creating reminder

Notes
Voice Memo part of Notes now
Tags
Add pictures
Add attachments

wadjj
Jun 10, 2012, 05:02 PM
I'm shocked nobody mentioned the goddamn open-in limitation (extremely frequent that PDF related app got kicked out of the menu for the 10 or so apps limitation) and the ridiculously poor https proxy support. They're the game stopper for me to buy an iPhone, I own an iPad and love almost everything about it, but without these two stuff being taken care of, I'd never buy another apple product since I have to rely on my android phone sometimes for these two frustrating bugs.

r0k
Jun 10, 2012, 05:11 PM
Anybody in this thread read the front page of Macrumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/10/apple-releasing-ios-6-beta-build-10a5316k-and-safari-6-developer-preview-at-wwdc/)? As this (Sunday) morning, they show links for a beta of iOS6 and among the links are 3GS links. We have a couple 3GS users in my family and I'd just as soon keep 'em on the same version of iOS as the rest of us.

ethana
Jun 10, 2012, 06:11 PM
I hate to break everyone's hearts, but you guys mostly have wishful thinking. I think some changes that are a given are:

- Facebook Integration
- Maps changing
- Siri improvements

A fourth possibility is for devs to be able to create notification center widgets, but I've heard zero rumors on this, so I doubt it.

Everything else is on the back burner. Most of the requests on this forum will not come into iOS 6 unfortunately, and it will continue to push people towards jailbreaking or Android.

Will there be small changes and tweaks? Sure. But some of the requests on here require major overhaul or require Apple to actually care (i.e. the Weather app icon STILL to this day doesn't display the users default temp; or how about the inability to hide default apps that aren't used).

Honestly, as a lifetime Apple fan (my first computer when I was a kid was an Apple IIe), I'm baffled that Apple can't do more every year with the amount the company makes. Sure, they focus on a few features and make them GREAT, but Android has really stepped it up in terms of tweaking and options and I hope I am proven wrong tomorrow.

Ethan

Sensamic
Jun 10, 2012, 06:14 PM
New better youtube app and FASTER. Its really slow for videos of even 40 seconds...

APlotdevice
Jun 10, 2012, 06:53 PM
I'm shocked nobody mentioned the goddamn open-in limitation (extremely frequent that PDF related app got kicked out of the menu for the 10 or so apps limitation) and the ridiculously poor https proxy support. They're the game stopper for me to buy an iPhone, I own an iPad and love almost everything about it, but without these two stuff being taken care of, I'd never buy another apple product since I have to rely on my android phone sometimes for these two frustrating bugs.

If there was a central documents folder we wouldn't need to use "open in".

AppleNewton
Jun 11, 2012, 12:53 AM
I'd like to see some form of a quicker 'Quit All open Apps' option

Jasoco
Jun 11, 2012, 01:38 AM
I'd like to see some form of a quicker 'Quit All open Apps' option
I just press and hold Command and tap Tab, then Q for every app icon as it switches into focus.

Ay_Zimmy
Jun 11, 2012, 02:52 AM

It's because as Apple users, majority doesn't care about those things. Its all about simplicity, yet in a brilliant fashion. That's why the Android market serves you well, only a small percentile show interest compared to the overall iPhone population. Plus Apple has always been known for never wanting open source software.

Pock
Jun 11, 2012, 03:05 AM
12. Sync notifications across devices. If I clear a notification on my iPhone, clear it from the iPad as well at the same time.

This is currently the single most annoying thing about iOS5 for me. I hate when I pick up my iPad for the first time that day and the lock/home screens are covered in notifications that I've already responded to.

kirky29
Jun 11, 2012, 03:05 AM

Agree! That would be a nice little feature.

AppleNewton
Jun 11, 2012, 05:15 AM
I just press and hold Command and tap Tab, then Q for every app icon as it switches into focus.

on iOS???

bisnicks
Jun 11, 2012, 07:46 AM
4 hours!

Jedii
Jun 11, 2012, 09:46 AM
If all they introduce is 'refinements' and turn by turn navigation and a 3D map app, i'll be underwhelmed & Siri for the iPad..

Apple get customers by consistently setting and exceeding their own standards. Lets hope it continues..

-Knight-
Jun 11, 2012, 10:34 AM
Aside from all the other cool features you all are wishing for, I personally would love to see live backgrounds and flash. Just add an on/off button for flash but give us the damn option at least.

For those that suggest it I don't jailbrake my iphones. But I wish these 2 features would be added to iOS6 along with all the other features you all mentioned.

Tom8
Jun 11, 2012, 10:39 AM
Aside from all the other cool features you all are wishing for, I personally would love to see live backgrounds and flash. Just add an on/off button for flash but give us the damn option at least.

For those that suggest it I don't jailbrake my iphones. But I wish these 2 features would be added to iOS6 along with all the other features you all mentioned.

Mobile flash is dead, even adobe admits that, get over it

bisnicks
Aug 7, 2012, 09:40 AM
Wow. Around 9 of my suggestions have actually been implemented in iOS 6!

BuckeyeMac
Aug 7, 2012, 10:36 AM
Great ideas...I really hope they add icons in the status bar, and widgets.

For those who don't want widgets, stop crying about it, no one is forcing you to use them.

frankenstein897
Aug 7, 2012, 11:50 AM
All I want is for me to be able to easily toggle Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS and Airplane mode. Other than that, I am happy :-) Toggling settings is the most painful part of IOS right now. Bluetooth is the worse. Some of the other suggests are nice too but, I personally just want toggles for those things accessible easily. Sorry, just throwing in my $.02. I know that no one asked for it and it has been mentioned several times already. :-)