Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmitch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Iowa, USA
I have my Macbook hooked up to a projector Running a powerpoint. I would like to be able to 1) control the powerpoint from the Ipad while 2) either mirroring the projection on screen or seeing the "presenter" view and 3) be $5 or less

I know there is Slideshow Remote (http://www.slideshowremote.com) but that appears to be only for Windows.

Please help I would love to have something in the next few hours!

thanks!

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Splashtop remote desktop HD for iPad is one app that can do this, presently at $4.99 on the app store. It works very well with MS Excel spreadsheets on a PC or Mac, so I'm sure it will work with Powerpoint.

wmitch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Iowa, USA
Thank you!

Splashtop remote desktop HD for iPad is one app that can do this, presently at $4.99 on the app store. It works very well with MS Excel spreadsheets on a PC or Mac, so I'm sure it will work with Powerpoint.

Thank you for your quick response! I didn't have time to explore lots of options but I was also hesitant to drop $5 on something before I knew if it would do what I wanted.

So far it works perfectly!

wmitch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Iowa, USA
What about a Bluetooth option?

Ok, so I used splashtop tonight and while I really like its functionality, my one limitation is that I am not always in range of a steady wifi network.

Is there a similar app with Bluetooth connection as opposed to, or in addition to, wifi?

Thanks!

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
You could always set up an ad-hoc Wi-Fi network between your iPad and your Macbook. Should serve the same purpose and guarantee reception as long as you and your Macbook are in the same room and your Macbook does not require an internet connection to make your presentation work.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Another advantage of the ad hoc network mentioned above is that you can use your own password for wireless security. Another thing you could do is buy an inexpsensive wireless router and just use it as a wireless switch. You could use the same network name and settings as your home network for convenience. You don't need "n", Splashtop works just as well on "g".

wmitch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Iowa, USA
Thank you!

Thank you both for your Help.

The Ad Hoc Network is such an obvious solution i feel a little dumb for not thinking of it on my own. I've never set one up before though so I just tried it and it was super easy and worked great!

Don't think I need to go w/the router at this point but I'll keep it in mind for the future.

thanks again!

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Unless you need to preset more than just slides, a more convenient and reliable setup may be to use Keynote on the iPad teamed up with an Apple TV if your projector has an HDMI port in it.

The Splashtop solution seems like a good alternative too.

wmitch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Iowa, USA
Unless you need to preset more than just slides, a more convenient and reliable setup may be to use Keynote on the iPad teamed up with an Apple TV if your projector has an HDMI port in it.

Projector doesn't have HDMI on it, and I don't have an Apple TV, Also, I've never used keynote but I can't imagine that would be too hard to adapt to.

I do agree though that would be a pretty slick set up but would cost a little more than the $5 for the app!

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Projector doesn't have HDMI on it, and I don't have an Apple TV, Also, I've never used keynote but I can't imagine that would be too hard to adapt to.

I do agree though that would be a pretty slick set up but would cost a little more than the $5 for the app!

True. Oh, by the way, the AppleTV can be connected to a DVI port using an HDMI to DVI adaptor. These cost about $5.00.

IMO, Keynote is a great presentation tool. PowerPoint may have tons of transitions and colorful things, but in the end, all those things are not really needed to come up with a great presentation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.