Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

1Password is a popular password service which offers apps and browser plug-ins for a number of platforms, including Mac, Windows, iOS and Android. The service automatically generates strong, unique passwords whenever a login is needed, keeping them in a keychain under a master password. Once authorized, 1Password can then automatically fill in user names and passwords when needed without the user having to know the often complex passwords created for maximum security.

But with Apple continuing to push out developer betas of OS X Mountain Lion and Safari 5.2, it is now becoming apparent that the company is looking to bake similar functionality directly into Safari.

safari_5_2_password_pane.jpg

"Passwords" preference pane in Safari 5.2
One of the more visible changes in the Safari 5.2 developer builds has been a new "Passwords" pane in the application's preferences, offering a way for users to access stored user names and passwords for various sites and services. As currently deployed, the pane is essentially a more convenient way to view passwords already stored and accessible through the dedicated Keychain Access application.

safari_5_2_password_suggest_string.jpg

Text string addressing unique password suggestions in Safari 5.2
But text strings associated with the last several builds of Safari 5.2 point to more extensive password functionality for Safari, including an ability to suggest unique passwords rather than simply storing user-created ones. Specifically, one of those strings which is present in Safari 5.2 but not currently used in a public-facing context reads:
Safari can automatically suggest and remember unique, secure passwords for websites you choose.
With Mountain Lion's focus on taking greater advantage of iCloud services to keep data synced across devices, it seems reasonable to speculate that Apple has plans to roll this password functionality out to iCloud and iOS as well. The move would allow "unique, secure passwords" created on one device to be automatically available for use on another device without having to manually record or insecurely copy and paste password information for transfer.

Apple has already revealed its plans to use iCloud to integrate browser activity across devices, as evidenced by Safari tab syncing making its way into test builds. And interestingly, Apple previously offered keychain syncing across devices with .Mac and MobileMe, but discontinued the feature with the transition to iCloud. It now appears that the functionality was removed while Apple worked to revamp and expand it to increase its functionality.

icloud_safari_syncing_lion_mountain_lion.jpg

iCloud's Safari syncing entry in System Preferences in Lion (left) and Mountain Lion (right)
Apple has also signaled its intention to broaden the browser syncing features of Safari with the iCloud preference pane in System Preferences under Mountain Lion. While the Safari section has been titled "Bookmarks" under Lion, with the addition of browser tab syncing and perhaps new user name and password syncing the section has now simply been retitled "Safari".

But while Apple certainly seems to have all of the pieces in place for higher security unique password generation and syncing across platforms via iCloud, the feature has not yet been introduced for testing in developer builds of OS X Mountain Lion. The feature has also not been seen in iOS builds, although the company has yet to begin developer testing on either iOS 6 or an interim iOS 5.2 update.

Article Link: Apple May Add Secure Password Suggestions to Safari with OS X Mountain Lion

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
The password pane reminds me of the similar thing in Firefox. I'm already a heavy 1Password user. I wouldn't be interested in Apple's password syncing unless it would also work with alternative browsers and across platforms. Safari for Windows? Somehow I doubt it.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
So if you were to use this feature in Safari, and wanted to log in to website on another computer, you'd have to remember that long complex password?

I can see the advantage of using this, but could cause headaches too for computers that aren't synced with iCloud. What if Safari suggested a complex password for iCloud, and then you lose your laptop. How would you log into iCloud on your new laptop if you don't know the complex password to sync all your keychains?

Or am I over thinking this?

chriswaco

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
I think I'm the only person in the world who tried and didn't like 1Password, so I'll be interested to see if Apple somehow does it differently.

I like Password Wallet. Syncs to Macs, PCs, iOS devices, etc. I'm not sure I trust my passwords in the cloud.

macthetiger85

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
... it is now becoming apparent that the company is looking to bake similar functionality directly into Safari.

I don't get it, is this about passwords or cookies?

For the record, I love 1Password, I would welcome such changes. I tried to hack my parents computer the other day in front of my mom. I had figured out all of her passwords within 3 tries for each using the most common passwords. Maybe this will help people protect themselves better although the guys who write 1Password probably won't like it. I don't see this cutting into their business too much, they do much more than create passwords (their iPad app won't even do that.) But it's the interface and always having the passwords handy and never having to look at them (copy and paste) - We'll see how far Apple goes with this.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
As the Keychain App already has the ability to suggest and create secure passwords I guess this is a logical move. However, until they can be synced between devices, 1Password have nothing to fear.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
The password pane reminds me of the similar thing in Firefox. I'm already a heavy 1Password user. I wouldn't be interested in Apple's password syncing unless it would also work with alternative browsers and across platforms. Safari for Windows? Somehow I doubt it.

? Safari is on Windows....

(Unless you meant syncing your Safari preferences to Windows Safari).

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
Whither Keychain Sync?

Why stop at Safari passwords? Why can't iCloud have keychain syncing?

I mean, under MobileMe it didn't work very well, but this is Apple's opportunity to finally get it right.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
And interestingly, Apple previously offered keychain syncing across devices with .Mac and MobileMe, but discontinued the feature with the transition to iCloud. It now appears that the functionality was removed while Apple worked to revamp and expand it to increase its functionality.

If this is true, I'd be ecstatic. I was disappointed when keychain syncing was removed, but if this was done to improve it, I'm game. Now if Apple works on Documents as a possible replacement for iDisk (using Dropbox now which is great), I'd be a happy camper with iCloud.

tobiastimpe

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Not bad, now if it actually syncs with Mobile Safari on iOS, the Keychain and allows me to save all those passwords in one place for free, it would be great. Just need an API for browsers like Chrome!

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
So far, I seem to be the only one using LastPass. It find it to work very well. I will generate unique passwords and, among a number of other functions, will autofill Username and Password, if you select that option.

It's a Safari Extension, and is free.

I like it a lot...:D

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
The only thing i wish for from 1password is integration in safari on iOS.

Unless Apple open up the API a little more, this is not going to happen.

I feel sorry for all of these great software companies Apple is Neutering, with their closed source properties.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
This is great. I also use 1password and although I do like OSX's version, I do not like how iOS implements it. Looking forward to see how Apple handles it!

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
This seems like a good idea, but I have a stupid question. If/when this comes in and I use it on my mac to think of a password for gmail (for example), how do I log into my online mail account when I'm away from my mac?

Formul

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
Czech Republic
The only thing i wish for from 1password is integration in safari on iOS.

Unless Apple open up the API a little more, this is not going to happen.

I feel sorry for all of these great software companies Apple is Neutering, with their closed source properties.

they open up their stuff, they just dont rush it, they think it through ... does even the android browser have any extension functionality?

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
It's good for them to offer it but I won't move on from 1Password unless they come up with a way to sync it with iCloud. The only bad part of 1Password is that on an iDevice it can't use the default browser and fill in the password. Other than that it's a great digital locker. And it still provides more functionality than this.

Even so, it's good that they are providing this for the many people who cannot use, or are not aware of, another password manager.

rotax

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
As the Keychain App already has the ability to suggest and create secure passwords I guess this is a logical move. However, until they can be synced between devices, 1Password have nothing to fear.

Funny, used to be that with MobileMe, keychains were synced. Now with iCloud they are not. I thought this was the wrong move. Maybe they are rethinking the strategy for at least a subset of the keychain data.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
It looks like they may be bringing this in from the keychain and into Safari where it really belongs. This would also allow Safari to sync passwords securely across devices again which was a very cool feature of MobileMe.

rotax

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
It's good for them to offer it but I won't move on from 1Password unless they come up with a way to sync it with iCloud. The only bad part of 1Password is that on an iDevice it can't use the default browser and fill in the password. Other than that it's a great digital locker. And it still provides more functionality than this.

Even so, it's good that they are providing this for the many people who cannot use, or are not aware of, another password manager.

Maybe 1Password will develop a sync option to Safari that will keep this new Apple function up to date which would hopefully allow Safari on iOS to use the data

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA

iCloud works for Windows too....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.