PDA

View Full Version : Sports Score Apps

JonDigital
Apr 23, 2012, 10:01 AM
Ever since getting my new iPad I have been on the hunt for a quality sports score app. Pretty pathetic there is not one high quality well designed sports app such as Score Mobile or Sportacular for the iPhone.

That being said I have tried Sportacular and TheScore for the iPad, both leave very much to be desired.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a quality sports score app? I don't want to use an iPhone app that has to be stretched 2X.

Thanks in advance!

Sylon
Apr 23, 2012, 10:05 AM
ESPN ScoreCenter XL

It gives me up-to-date scores, plays, pre-game and post-game video feeds for all my favorite teams, all at the same time. Even has push notifications that you can tailor to your needs. It can let you know each scoring play, the start/end of a period/quarter/half, or the start and end of the whole game itself. It also gathers news articles about your favorite teams as well.

There is a version for both the iPad and iPhone. But the iPad version isn't just a stretched iPhone app. Its a dedicated iPad app.

EDIT: here is the link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scorecenter-xl/id364269626?mt=8

JonDigital
Apr 23, 2012, 10:15 AM
ESPN ScoreCenter XL

It gives me up-to-date scores, plays, pre-game and post-game video feeds for all my favorite teams, all at the same time. Even has push notifications that you can tailor to your needs. It can let you know each scoring play, the start/end of a period/quarter/half, or the start and end of the whole game itself. It also gathers news articles about your favorite teams as well.

There is a version for both the iPad and iPhone. But the iPad version isn't just a stretched iPhone app. Its a dedicated iPad app.

EDIT: here is the link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scorecenter-xl/id364269626?mt=8
Thanks! I forgot to mention I have tried that one. I guess I am a stickler for the UI. It does seem to be one of the more quality apps. I like to use these apps as an in game companion so I will be able to drill into live stats etc during the game.

Perhaps I need to give it another try. I really wish ScoreMobile would update the iPad app to the new style the iPhone app is using.

Thanks again!

IvanX
Apr 23, 2012, 10:24 AM
ScoreCenter XL has a few big time bugs, so I don't like it on iPad.

What sports are you after?

JonDigital
Apr 23, 2012, 10:30 AM
ScoreCenter XL has a few big time bugs, so I don't like it on iPad.

What sports are you after?
The big four American sports, MLB, NHL, NBA and NFL. I do have the sport specific apps which are great but I'd love a one stop shop for all in one.

Sportacular isn't bad but the app itself is laggy and still needs a Retina update. The sad thing is I installed the iPhone version of Scoremobile on the iPad and that stretched out is better than any iPad specific sports app, it just doesn't work in landscape.

The hunt continues!!

b.c.
Apr 23, 2012, 03:32 PM
how about SportsTap?

doesn't have some of the fancier features of some other apps, but it has big 4 sports plus others, universal app, notifications, and they recently added retina support.

firemedicmark
Apr 23, 2012, 07:12 PM
I use Sportacular and love it!

does ANY sport

reebzor
Apr 23, 2012, 07:21 PM
If you have Comcast you should check out the Xfinity sports app. I really enjoy it because it lets me change the channel to the game I want. I don't think it shows scores for games not on tv though.

Other than that, I've found the best thing to do is use the NHL app for NHL stuff, MLB app for MLB stuff, etc.

JonDigital
Apr 24, 2012, 08:13 AM
how about SportsTap?

doesn't have some of the fancier features of some other apps, but it has big 4 sports plus others, universal app, notifications, and they recently added retina support.
Thanks BC. That was actually one of the first sports apps I got with the first 2G iPhone. I used to love that. Didn't think it was being developed anymore. Going to check it out thanks.

Diiiiips
Apr 24, 2012, 10:55 AM
Scoremobile can't be beaten for me.