PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning iMac G4 Fan/ Noise

92WardSenatorFE
Apr 23, 2012, 06:07 PM
Does anyone have any good suggestions for cleaning the internal fan on the top of an iMac G4? (preferably without disassembling the entire machine).

Since I've had the iMac, I've noticed there is dust accumulation on the fan blades and while its not super loud, it does get annoying after 30mins - 1 hour use. I've talked to people and they said that these machines are supposed to be a lot quieter.

Let me know your suggestions! Thanks.

Intell
Apr 23, 2012, 06:13 PM
They can get a bit loud as they heat up. The fan starts to spin faster to remove the extra heat. Another thing that can cause them to get loud is old age wearing away at their bearings. To clean mine in the past I've gotten some Q-Tips and stuck them in the holes in the top. Sometimes when it's on, sometimes when it's off.

92WardSenatorFE
Apr 23, 2012, 06:20 PM
They can get a bit loud as they heat up. The fan starts to spin faster to remove the extra heat. Another thing that can cause them to get loud is old age wearing away at their bearings. To clean mine in the past I've gotten some Q-Tips and stuck them in the holes in the top. Sometimes when it's on, sometimes when it's off.

Thanks for the quick response, never thought of that! Somebody told me you could use an anti-static vacuum to blow it out, but I don't see that solving the problem. I think that would just shove the dirt down somewhere else.

As for the fan, yeah, thats my second fear is that it could be wearing out. No idea how I'd obtain a replacement though.

Intell
Apr 23, 2012, 06:24 PM
Replacements are tricky. The fans in the G4 iMacs not only blow out/up, but out the sides because they have no side walls. This sideways airflow is important and should be considered when buying a replacement fan.

92WardSenatorFE
Apr 23, 2012, 10:51 PM
I also read somewhere that the iMac G4 uses some type of specialized connector for the fan so you can't just put any fan in there as well.

Well to report, i spent a good 20 minutes cleaning the fan like you said and its better. It's not as loud, but its probably as quiet as its going to get without a replacement.

jpross123
Apr 23, 2012, 10:56 PM
The fan needs to be more accessible on the imacs

Intell
Apr 24, 2012, 05:26 AM
The fan needs to be more accessible on the imacs

The G4 iMac has the most accessible fan of any non-fanless iMac.