PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Lion Developer Previev 3 Bugs

kemo
Apr 24, 2012, 01:45 AM
Hey there, as Developer Preview 2 bugs (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1342745) I have started a DP3 bugs.

I have to start with the one, that's about iTunes - media keys just doesn't work for me at all, weird thing is, that in VLC it works fine, is any1 else having this issue?

mattroman246
Apr 24, 2012, 03:04 AM
Mine seems to be working

q64ceo
Apr 24, 2012, 08:09 AM
The only bug that I have found is that sometimes the Display Energy saver does not turn off my screen. A reboot is needed to correct that issue.

Besides that I have had only one hard crash of unknown reasons, not even my Console tells me why.

JangoFett124
Apr 24, 2012, 09:00 AM
Have you reported the bugs to Apple yet?

Newfiejudd
Apr 24, 2012, 09:31 AM
I have noticed mission control when used with a Hot corner. Will work sometimes, and other times it does nothing. I have no issues with it working with the four fingers, but it fails from time to time with hot corners.

elchemor
Apr 24, 2012, 10:12 AM
can anyone watch youtube videos in safari ? i know it's safari, but directly related to ML.

hafr
Apr 24, 2012, 11:58 AM
I can't get folder actions to work, can't even add folders to it...

andrewpturko
Apr 24, 2012, 02:15 PM
My quote from the Video Crash Thread (labeled: HTML5 Videos (YouTube etc.) crahes immediately): (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1361813)

I have had the OP's exact issue. I first noticed it with Flash, so I installed the Safari extension, "Click To Flash", assuming it was only a software issue at the time. I then proceeded to watch a YouTube video with with "Click To Flash's" HTML5 conversion script. Yet again, streaming through Quicktime's HTML5 player, the entire system crashed. Even further so (and unlike the OP), I downloaded a video and played it via Quicktime X and, once again, my system crashed as the OP described it. This is most likely not a compatibility issue, the beta OS just has a few bugs to work out with the NVIDIA GeForce 9400, and upon myself and many others filling a bug report with Apple about this, everything should be worked out by the GM. Although disabling hardware acceleration does seem to help with the Flash based crashes, Mountain Lion currently has a problem with playing back video (via the NVIDIA GeForce 9400) throughout the system.

I only noticed this on both DP2/3. I have an iMac Early 2009 24" Model 9,1.

I should also note that this happens at a complete random, and is with all video sources tested (not specific to YouTube).

- Andrew

kemo
Apr 25, 2012, 04:14 AM
can anyone watch youtube videos in safari ? i know it's safari, but directly related to ML.

Mine freezed completely yesterday when I was watching Adobe CS6 Event.

karsten
May 1, 2012, 02:46 AM
bugs I have found is still a bug from DP2- finder font size isn't remembered. if you set a font size in finder as a default the next time you open a window its back to the big default (12pt) size. annoying. i filed it on dp2 guess i'll have to re file it-

KyleBoyer
May 1, 2012, 07:51 AM
My screen did not glitch in DP1, and now that I updated from DP1 to DP3, often times my screen glitches in certain areas... Such as if I right click on an icon in the dock, and try to go to Options sometimes is glitches out like it flickers and such(just that menu not the whole screen).

ErikGrim
May 2, 2012, 05:29 AM
Having issues with embedded Vimeo videos (works on Vimeo), YouTube videos are the opposite, works embedded but not on YouTube. Plex makes horrid noises when trying to play DTS/5.1 sound. VLC is fine.

DP3.

----------

Oh and the full screen button in HTML5 videos is now just a blank button.

And sometimes full screen video won't work at all, especially if there are multiple videos on one page.

NJRonbo
May 3, 2012, 11:02 AM
One major bug in DP3:

When you receive a subscribed email from a forum thread (any forum)...

There is always a link in the message that automatically opens up your web browser (in this case Safari) and takes you to that very page.

What is happening is that Safari opens, but it doesn't take you anywhere except your designated home page.

So, for the moment, opening up email links to a specific site does not work.

Asclepio
May 3, 2012, 06:49 PM
When in "exposŤ mode" i drag a window app to a new desktop it freez the mac.
Imac 21.5 2011.

Takuro
May 3, 2012, 09:04 PM
These threads tend to be generally useless. File your bugs directly with Apple at https://bugreport.apple.com/ .

atMac
May 3, 2012, 09:52 PM
These threads tend to be generally useless. File your bugs directly with Apple at https://bugreport.apple.com/ .

You seem to miss the point of these threads then. They arn't meant to inform Apple of the bugs, it's to inform other users, and talk about possible work arounds.

JangoFett124
May 3, 2012, 10:10 PM
You seem to miss the point of these threads then. They arn't meant to inform Apple of the bugs, it's to inform other users, and talk about possible work arounds.

Only developers should be using the pre-release. Bugs can't be fixed for the end-user release if they're not reported.

NJRonbo
May 4, 2012, 07:16 AM

Thank you for that answer.

That's why I enjoy participating here.

JangoFett124
May 4, 2012, 07:21 AM
No one cares about your bugs if you don't report them to Apple. Stop bitching if you can't spend 5 minutes telling Apple so it can ACTUALLY BE FIXED.

Tyler23
May 4, 2012, 07:27 AM
No one cares about your bugs if you don't report them to Apple. Stop bitching if you can't spend 5 minutes telling Apple so it can ACTUALLY BE FIXED.

How do you know they aren't reporting these bugs to Apple? I'm sure they're capable of sending a bug report to Apple and then discussing said bug on here..

JangoFett124
May 4, 2012, 07:53 AM
How do you know they aren't reporting these bugs to Apple? I'm sure they're capable of sending a bug report to Apple and then discussing said bug on here..

The responses and downvotes lead me to believe otherwise. Can those reporting these bugs confirm that they have been reported.

NJRonbo
May 4, 2012, 07:56 AM
Obviously, Jango thinks he knows what everyone here is or is not doing. Of course this leads to a bit of unwarranted hostility towards other members of this board.

Of course bugs are being reported to Apple.

However, in case you didn't realize it, this is a message forum devoted to Mac enthusiasts who like to share information here.

Stop spoiling the party. :)

talmy
May 4, 2012, 09:07 AM
People with legitimate access to the Mountain Lion Preview also have access to bug submission and Apple's private forums to discuss issues. There is little reason to post here and a big reason not to (everyone with legitimate access has "signed" an NDA).

People without legitimate access don't have access to Apple's forums, might as well post here, and certainly have no obligation to submit bug reports to Apple. They might be foolish to do so as it would reveal they have a copy.

We all know how litigious Apple can be.

airlied
May 4, 2012, 09:22 AM
Just found a bug in mountain lion (build 12A193i)

http://p.twimg.com/AsDqwI5CMAMS-Os.jpg:large

http://p.twimg.com/AsDqtfHCIAAzc9U.jpg:large

please open the links to see the bug, pics aren't big.

set top-right hot corner as notification center, open safari,-go fullscreen,-then move cursor to corner, you will see this bug.

it happens occasionally, not always.:cool:

Yamcha
May 4, 2012, 12:43 PM
Only developers should be using the pre-release. Bugs can't be fixed for the end-user release if they're not reported.

I disagree, I think everyone should be able to use pre-release software, It's not like if the general user does end up using pre-release software that Earth's axis will shift & It'll be the end of the human race =/

Unless I'm wrong the last time I was using Mountain Lion when crashes did occur they were sent to Apple just like with OSX Lion, if that is the case won't it mean a better 10.8?

I personally don't see anything wrong with using pre-release OS, obviously provided the user knows what he is doing.. If one know hows to format, partition their drive & install OSX then they are set..

Sdreed91
May 4, 2012, 01:41 PM
I have a very annoying bug. I can not empty my trash securely, or at all for that matter. I get error code (-8003).

JangoFett124
May 4, 2012, 03:36 PM
I disagree, I think everyone should be able to use pre-release software, It's not like if the general user does end up using pre-release software that Earth's axis will shift & It'll be the end of the human race =/

Unless I'm wrong the last time I was using Mountain Lion when crashes did occur they were sent to Apple just like with OSX Lion, if that is the case won't it mean a better 10.8?

I personally don't see anything wrong with using pre-release OS, obviously provided the user knows what he is doing.. If one know hows to format, partition their drive & install OSX then they are set..

Crashes and bugs are not necessarily the same. If users see bugs and don't send them to Apple, they won't get fixed.

jayhawk11
May 4, 2012, 04:05 PM
Anybody else having issues with resizing Launchpad spacing on DP3? It doesn't work at all for me. Trying to troubleshoot before I file a Radar.

Sdreed91
May 4, 2012, 04:11 PM
Anybody else having issues with resizing Launchpad spacing on DP3? It doesn't work at all for me. Trying to troubleshoot before I file a Radar.

I believe that feature has been removed entirely. Which sucks because I thought it was kinda cool.

AndyMoore
May 5, 2012, 12:51 PM
Anyone noticing Finder using a lot of cpu when displaying All My Files but fine showing anything else?

bobbba
May 5, 2012, 02:01 PM
One major bug in DP3:

When you receive a subscribed email from a forum thread (any forum)...

There is always a link in the message that automatically opens up your web browser (in this case Safari) and takes you to that very page.

What is happening is that Safari opens, but it doesn't take you anywhere except your designated home page.

So, for the moment, opening up email links to a specific site does not work.

Just tested with a macrumors forum email(assuming that's the kind of thing you mean) and works fine for me DP3

ErikGrim
May 7, 2012, 01:35 AM
HTML5 video is even more broken with DP3 Update. Now only goes to full window instead of screen, and when you go back to normal it turns the entire window grey and you need to close the tab/window.

chevalier433
May 8, 2012, 12:33 AM
Very serious bug for professionals no screen sharing in final cut pro

----------

Very serious bug for professionals no screen sharing in final cut pro

iChat Theatre Preview

throAU
May 8, 2012, 01:31 AM

You seem to miss the point of developer builds then. They are released by apple, under NDA to developers to test/code their applications against, and inform apple of the bugs found and discuss possible work-arounds with apple engineers and other developers.

They are not for general purpose use by the wider community, thus anyone doing bug reports or wanting support should be hitting developer.apple.com with their dev account.

If you don't have a dev account, you shouldn't be running Mountain Lion.

----------

You can think that and disagree with it all you like - without a developer account, and acceptance of Apple's NDA covering Mountain Lion you have no license to run (or, due to the NDA, even possess) that software. FACT.

If you want an open beta, petition apple for it. They will point you to the apple developer program for $99/yr. Until apple give everyone an official open beta, running it without a developer account is not legal - you're running pirate software.

If apple wanted Mountain Lion out there and in use by the general public they would release an open beta. They have not done this.

atMac
May 9, 2012, 06:11 PM
You seem to miss the point of developer builds then. They are released by apple, under NDA to developers to test/code their applications against, and inform apple of the bugs found and discuss possible work-arounds with apple engineers and other developers.

They are not for general purpose use by the wider community, thus anyone doing bug reports or wanting support should be hitting developer.apple.com with their dev account.

If you don't have a dev account, you shouldn't be running Mountain Lion.

Oh I'm sorry, I mistook this for a "community" my bad.

Why is it ONLY on this site that anyone even cares about the NDA? Microsoft community sites? nope. Other Apple communities? nope... Only here does anyone whine "but...but, but....NDA!"

NJRonbo
May 9, 2012, 06:14 PM
I find that odd, too.

There's too much hand-slapping going on here by some for these open discussions.

The discussions will stop when Apple enforces their NDA. Otherwise, if anyone wants to take the chance of openly talking about the DEV Previews then they do it at their own risk. Certainly, there is enough people doing it here and trying to act like the NDA police is not going to change anything.

atMac
May 9, 2012, 06:19 PM
I find that odd, too.

There's too much hand-slapping going on here by some for these open discussions.

The discussions will stop when Apple enforces their NDA. Otherwise, if anyone wants to take the chance of openly talking about the DEV Previews then they do it at their own risk. Certainly, there is enough people doing it here and trying to act like the NDA police is not going to change anything.

But then they won't feel good about themselves!

throAU
May 9, 2012, 07:41 PM
Oh I'm sorry, I mistook this for a "community" my bad.

Why is it ONLY on this site that anyone even cares about the NDA? Microsoft community sites? nope. Other Apple communities? nope... Only here does anyone whine "but...but, but....NDA!"

Because if you want to help test the OS, you should be reporting bugs back through official channels.

By discussing NDA bound software on here, you're likely putting macrumors at risk, in exactly the same way as discussing/promoting/running pirate software, because essentially that is what you are running.

NJRonbo
May 9, 2012, 07:49 PM
By discussing NDA bound software on here, you're likely putting macrumors at risk, in exactly the same way as discussing/promoting pirate software, because essentially that is what you are running.

Then you should let the owners of MacRumors worry about that instead of you acting like a policeman.

If MacRumors feels we are putting them at risk, they will shut down the conversation.

However, it's apparent that this kind of discussion pertaining to DEV Previews has been going on for years. We were all here discussing Snow Leopard a year ago.

And, MacRumors even created a forum for Mountain Lion 10.8, which is where we are now. Why would they create this forum to discuss the software outside of the developers area if they were concerned about being shut down?

Why is it there is always a party-pooper lurking around here shaking his finger at everyone and warning them about NDA agreements and such, yet this kind of conversation has historically been going on here forever?

Yes, Sir, we have been reporting bugs in the Apple Dev area. However, there seems to be another faction outside of Apple's private discussion forums that are taking interest in discussing the upcoming release. You shaking your finger at us is not going to curb it one iota.

Comeagain?
May 10, 2012, 01:19 AM
We are here to talk about bugs, and share with the community. The developer communities apple has aren't exactly as active as MR, and are meant mostly for communicating with Apple. Macrumors, however, is a place where we can share workarounds, and different bugs we have found, so other devs are aware.

RamGuy
May 10, 2012, 08:06 AM
I've got awkward bug with Developer Preview 3 (technically 4 with the latest 1.2GB update?).

Was hooking my MacBook Pro 17" 2011 model to a Samsung S23A700D 120Hz monitor, as well as connecting a Logitech G19 keyboard and Logitech G500 mouse and a Sennheiser PC 350 headset and even though I use Apple's own overpriced Dual Link to Mini-Displayport adapter it would bug out when it comes to running my monitor in 120Hz. Some times it worked, other times it didn't the whole screen world have a grey noise layer like those white noise things you'd have on your CRT TV running analogue TV signals back in the day, just it was a layer so you could see the desktop and everything behind this grey noise layer.

However 60Hz worked, but the running fullscreen applications would actually make buttons not being click able for some reason. The conclusion was 120Hz under Mountain Lion was a no go.

This wasn't the end of things though, ever since I hooked it up to my monitor my entire system has started to bug out. Ever since I tried my system has a 90% chance of giving me a short flicker on the screen every time I launch Google Chrome and then my system will freeze completely, only to be resolved by crashing my MacBook Pro 17" 2011 model. So now running Google Chrome equals complete system halt and I expect this to have something to do with the fact that I tried using my external monitor because the screen flicker almost reminds me of the same flicker I tend to get each time I hook up a external monitor by mini-displayport. So I'm forced back to Lion until next Mountain Lion that would hopefully fix this rather annoying issue as Google Chrome is the number one application I use the most.

bedifferent
May 10, 2012, 08:23 AM
We are here to talk about bugs, and share with the community. The developer communities apple has aren't exactly as active as MR, and are meant mostly for communicating with Apple. Macrumors, however, is a place where we can share workarounds, and different bugs we have found, so other devs are aware.

I've been an ADC member since 10.2, and I can attest that the threads on Apple's forums are few and far between, especially for certain matters (aside from "Mission Control", Open GL, Finder and other widespread topics).

Of course I am bound by my NDA, and I would never risk it. However, there are ways in which you can discuss important issues on MacRumors without breaking the NDA. Further, Apple has changed much of its development policy and program. Before Lion, it cost hundreds of dollars to join OS X. Then Apple lowered the price to match iOS development, $99. Lastly, Apple has increased invitations for memberships to individuals ten fold. Why? Apple wants more consumer input, and the more people they have to work for them in debugging and addressing UI issues the better.

In all, I very well doubt Apple is losing sleep over threads on Mac oriented sites discussing their next OS X. In fact, they're probably hoping for it, it'll give em more input :).

So in the end:

Oh, chill out! Chill. Out. (http://new.wavlist.com/movies/057/gst-chillout.wav)

Elven
May 10, 2012, 09:33 AM
If you don't like these threads then why do you post in them?

JangoFett124
May 10, 2012, 09:35 AM
If you don't like these threads then why do you post in them?

I have nothing against these threads. What I'm against is only posting in this thread and not reporting to the Apple. Those are the same people that then complain that they didn't fix it for release.

Elven
May 10, 2012, 09:47 AM
I have nothing against these threads. What I'm against is only posting in this thread and not reporting to the Apple. Those are the same people that then complain that they didn't fix it for release.

But people challenge the thread posters without evidence that they have or have not informed Apple?

Surely the key point here is, to let these threads continue and be confident that with the NDA and Apples private testing forum, that all will be okay with the development of Mountain Lion, and any issues discussed here could be picked up by actual legitimate testers to aid them in their testing for Apple?

While this wishful thinking it gives a more positive atmosphere on the forums and we can talk about cool new software.

:D:apple:

NJRonbo
May 10, 2012, 09:53 AM
Correct.

Everyone who is shaking their finger is so certain that people aren't reporting the bugs to Apple.

ESP is running rampant here.

Now, if we can go back to the discussion of DP 3 bugs without further intrusion...

paul117
May 12, 2012, 01:53 AM
ive experenced some pritty annoying bugs since installing the update for DP3 afew days ago

1. my early 2011 macbook pro's screen will sometimes flash then the screen will lock up, i cant enter standby but i can shutdown the laptop by pressing the powerbutton then pressing enter it does a proper shutdown, when this is happening the system will stay completly responsive but the screen and plugging in an external screen does nothing.
2. from time to time when issue number 1 happens the computer will reboot its self on its boot up.
3. if i put it in standby over night and turn it on again after afew days it will develop glitches such as notification center will not work or the keyboards F1 through to eject keys will stop working and at times launchpad will stop working nothing will show up.
4. after a crash my launchpad will sometimes rearrange everything, utilities folder renames its self to other for excample, at one point about 6 empty folders named other were created but disappeared on reboot.

kftrainer
May 12, 2012, 07:43 AM
OSX Mountain Lion issues
Problems w/ Alarms (Freezes after attempting to open notifications)

Kernal Panic yesterday after sleep

OSX Mountain Lion DP3 Update
Continuing Problems with Sleipnir and downloading torrents
Several Crashes and Freezes that involved forced reboot of apps and entire OS

Reminders app crashed several times today (May 6)

Simplicated
May 12, 2012, 03:18 PM
OSX Mountain Lion issues
Problems w/ Alarms (Freezes after attempting to open notifications)
Be more specific please? What notifications? Alarms from iCal?

Kernal Panic yesterday after sleep
The log please?

OSX Mountain Lion DP3 Update
Continuing Problems with Sleipnir and downloading torrents
These are not problems of OS X. The developers have not updated their apps for the OS yet. Be reminded it's not the final release. On a related note, the latter part makes me suspect that your copy isn't from Apple.

Several Crashes and Freezes that involved forced reboot of apps and entire OS
Logs please?

Reminders app crashed several times today (May 6)
Be specific please? What triggered the crash? Is it reproducible?

Responses in bold. If I were an engineer at Apple I would be very impressed. ;)