PDA

View Full Version : Powermac G4 question

tjsdaname
Apr 24, 2012, 10:57 PM
I just picked a 866 MHz (Dual?) g4 with 1.5gb of ram off of craigslist for 20$
I runs awesome, but I connected ethernet to it and I get this error when trying to access the internet. anyone know what I need to do to get it connected to he net?

sorry for the stupid thread, but I have never used OS 9 and am lost lol....

Thanks!

estrides
Apr 24, 2012, 11:02 PM
Hmmm, is the ethernet port turned on? That might be why. Also, try and double check that the ethernet cable your putting into the computer is alive and working.

EDIT: http://www.columbia.edu/acis/support/docs/enet8-9.pdf

That should help to check that its all setup and working.

tjsdaname
Apr 24, 2012, 11:41 PM
Hmmm, is the ethernet port turned on? That might be why. Also, try and double check that the ethernet cable your putting into the computer is alive and working.

EDIT: http://www.columbia.edu/acis/support/docs/enet8-9.pdf

That should help to check that its all setup and working.

Thank you! that worked perfectly

tjsdaname
Apr 25, 2012, 12:15 AM
okay here is another problem.

the OS does not recognize the disk drives. are there drivers they could be missing? if I stick a paperclip in the small hole under them they open and spin up if I put a disk in but nothing happens.

any ideas?

Heavertron
Apr 25, 2012, 03:06 AM
okay here is another problem.

the OS does not recognize the disk drives. are there drivers they could be missing? if I stick a paperclip in the small hole under them they open and spin up if I put a disk in but nothing happens.

any ideas?

As I have no OS9 knowledge, I would suggest trying to source a OS X Tiger retail disk and putting OS 10.4 on that box. This would make it a much more useful system. If you really want OS 9 you could dual boot it?

tjsdaname
Apr 25, 2012, 10:21 AM
As I have no OS9 knowledge, I would suggest trying to source a OS X Tiger retail disk and putting OS 10.4 on that box. This would make it a much more useful system. If you really want OS 9 you could dual boot it?

the drives were not recognized by OS9... but they would boot a disk so i installed Tiger.

now I have a new problem, it displays video for about 30 seconds then my monitor says "no connection detected" I have to shake the mouse really fast for it to "wake up" anyone know what this could be?

I only started after the Tiger install was finished and I was in the setup process

Thanks!

cMacSW
Apr 25, 2012, 10:24 AM
Energy Settings set to turn of monitor?

tjsdaname
Apr 25, 2012, 10:48 AM
Energy Settings set to turn of monitor?

no I checked all those setting. but it doesn't seem to be doing it now. maybe it was overheated last night? i don't know lol.

how will Leopard run compared to Tiger? worth installing?

cMacSW
Apr 25, 2012, 10:53 AM
I prefer Leopard

tjsdaname
Apr 25, 2012, 11:00 AM
for some reason it says Leopard cannot be installed on this computer...

I thought the minimum requirements was a 867mhz processor?

Starfighter
Apr 25, 2012, 11:05 AM
If you have the "first" Quicksilver it's not until 933MHz and over (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G4) that supports Leopard. But I guess you could shoehorn it in with LeopardAssist!

tjsdaname
Apr 25, 2012, 11:45 AM
for some reason LeopardAssist does not work....

zen.state
Apr 25, 2012, 12:42 PM
for some reason LeopardAssist does not work....

You don't need LA at all as your Mac meets the requirements of Leopard. You have an MDD not a Quicksilver. Starfighter doesn't seem to understand what Mac you have even though you show a pic.

JacaByte
Apr 25, 2012, 12:58 PM
How is your monitor connected to the MDD G4? Are you using an adaptor, and are you using VGA or Apple Displayport?

You should give resetting the PRAM by holding Command+Option+P+R on boot. My MDD G4 is having issues with the clock, powersupply and the optical drives, I think it's because these computers are 9 years old and they're starting to have issue. (My 17 year old Performa is operating absolutely flawlessly OTOH)

Nameci
Apr 25, 2012, 01:45 PM
Is the leopard disk a retail one?

tjsdaname
Apr 25, 2012, 02:33 PM
I have decided I am just going to stick with Tiger for now... it runs awesome. plays youtube in 480p without any frame rate problems.

and the problem with the display cutting in and out seems like it is overheating? it runs perfect for about 20mins then it does what you see in this video.

the fan that blows onto the heat sink has never turned on, should it be running all the time?

http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh313/tjsdaname27/?action=view&current=MVI_1410.mp4

tjsdaname
Apr 25, 2012, 04:16 PM
Turns out the fan that cools the heat sink is bad. so I ordered a new one from ebay, hopefully that fixes the problem.

the heat sink was getting so hot you could cook an egg on it.

estrides
Apr 25, 2012, 04:29 PM
Just be ready to replace that video card if it comes down to it. If it was getting that hot, it might have burnt out some components.

Obviously, you may be safe, but just remember its a possibility.

Cheers though! Glad to see another G4 saved. I would recommend keeping Tiger on it. You will notice a decease in performance with Leopard.

You can also leopard-ify your Tiger if you want. i believe there are some UI changes you can do! Google is your friend!

tjsdaname
Apr 25, 2012, 04:43 PM
Just be ready to replace that video card if it comes down to it. If it was getting that hot, it might have burnt out some components.

Obviously, you may be safe, but just remember its a possibility.

Cheers though! Glad to see another G4 saved. I would recommend keeping Tiger on it. You will notice a decease in performance with Leopard.

You can also leopard-ify your Tiger if you want. i believe there are some UI changes you can do! Google is your friend!

yep, if the fan doesn't stop the problem I think I am going to buy one of these for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-ATi-7000-64MB-DDR-Graphics-Video-Card-PCI-For-Apple-PowerMac-G3-G4-G5-AGP-/251047279217?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item3a73957a71

zen.state
Apr 25, 2012, 07:20 PM
Don't run the system at all if it has no main fan. It will put unneeded strain on everything and especially the CPU. Those MDD daughter cards will shut down the system once they exceed 70C.

You don't need to order a fan. Just buy a decent 120mm x 38mm at any local wintel shop. I prefer SilenX for MDD's. Be sure you get a 120mm thats 38mm deep as most are only 25mm.

Nova77
Apr 25, 2012, 08:13 PM
+1 for dual booting OS 9//X
Keep away from Tiger if doing so, no matter how hard you try it will end up corrupting OS 9's system files because of classic mode. Even if you install OS 9 first, even if OS 9 is on another hard drive, etc.
Leopard is the way to go.