PDA

View Full Version : Extending finder

softwareguy256
Apr 25, 2012, 11:09 PM
Would like to know any tips on creating custom popup menu items (textwrangler does it somehow) adding toolbar buttons, and top menu items. Basically finder does 80% of the job, and rather than rewrite soemthing that won't be very well integrated and clunky, it would be nice to add the last 20%. e.g. cut and paste, which currently is achievable only through the very goofy and error prone drag and drop, touch files (thanks safari for showing a file i downloaded yesterday as having been created/modified 2008). Speaking of touch, open a commandline to whatever directory I am currently viewing. I can write the algorithms, just need some help getting the hooks in to finder.

Red Menace
Apr 25, 2012, 11:31 PM
You can drag an application onto the Finder's toolbar, but unless an application has been written to be extended in some way (this would include any scripting dictionary and UI scripting), you are pretty much stuck with what the developer has given you.

BTW, Lion's Finder already has a copy/move that doesn't require a drag-and-drop (you won't see a cut/paste).

wlh99
Apr 26, 2012, 11:12 AM
Rather than re-create something, it's easier to see if it has already been done.

Google "lion open terminal here"

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/11323/how-can-i-open-a-terminal-window-directly-from-my-current-finder-location

The other items you are looking for are probably done already too.