PDA

View Full Version : Possible to set PBG4 to self-wipe on wrong password?

kylera
Apr 26, 2012, 01:12 AM
Title says it. Is it possible for a PowerBook G4 12" running Leopard to wipe itself upon someone getting the user password wrong a set number of times in case the laptop falls in the wrong hands?

I know that prevention is better than cure and that it is always best to keep my laptop attended, but Murphy's Law can strike, so at least I would like some kind of contingency.

Ariii
May 2, 2012, 05:29 PM
Title says it. Is it possible for a PowerBook G4 12" running Leopard to wipe itself upon someone getting the user password wrong a set number of times in case the laptop falls in the wrong hands?

I know that prevention is better than cure and that it is always best to keep my laptop attended, but Murphy's Law can strike, so at least I would like some kind of contingency.

I don't know of any way to do that, but it is very easy to boot into single-user mode using Apple-Option-S, and then get the user's password (Or completely delete the user's account), so set an open-firmware password if you don't already have one.

tayloralmond
May 2, 2012, 05:43 PM
Also, someone could easily boot your PowerBook into Target Disk Mode and root around in your file system. It's the key failure/convenience of Target Disk Mode.

kylera
May 2, 2012, 07:10 PM
Also, someone could easily boot your PowerBook into Target Disk Mode and root around in your file system. It's the key failure/convenience of Target Disk Mode.

Bloody hell. It seems the only way around is higher vigilance, then. Thanks for your info.