Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What desktop browser do you primarily browse the forums with?

• Chrome

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • Firefox

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Internet Explorer

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Opera

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Safari

Votes: 22 41.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I could probably ask arn for the stats, but the stats would just show people visiting the site. I figure polling people that actually use the site often (and more importantly the forums) would be a better gauge. I'm interested in forum users, not so much site visitors.

While I recognize users browse on mobile devices, this poll isn't interested in those. I also recognize that there are other browsers than those listed but if you're not using one of these you're likely in the minority anyway, but I added an Other for you. Somebody should make a browser called "Other". Think of the polls they'd place in!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm on Safari when using my Mac. When I'm in the office and not working from home, I use Chrome (on a PC).

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Prior to the last month it was always Safari on OS X and Firefox on Win7.

But since then, I've been using Chrome on both platforms.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
I voted Firefox, as I'm on the forums more at work on my PC than I am at home. At home it's Safari.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Safari/Mobile Safari on Mac/iOS respectively. The rare times I'm on a pc, I actually use IE. it's not that bad. I like it more then Firefox.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I've optimized Chrome on both my Mac & PC.

Now that Google offers such a huge number of very useful extensions & apps, it's even more useful than Firefox.

While I've got nothing against Safari, nothing is as fast, fun, and functional as Google Chrome.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Chrome, though I have access to Safari and Firefox at home as well, and FF and IE (because we have to) at work.

I use Chrome for just about everything. Only occasionally do I come across something that won't work there.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I could probably ask arn for the stats, but the stats would just show people visiting the site. I figure polling people that actually use the site often (and more importantly the forums) would be a better gauge. I'm interested in forum users, not so much site visitors.

While I recognize users browse on mobile devices, this poll isn't interested in those. I also recognize that there are other browsers than those listed but if you're not using one of these you're likely in the minority anyway, but I added an Other for you. Somebody should make a browser called "Other". Think of the polls they'd place in!

Prior to the last month it was always Safari on OS X and Firefox on Win7.

But since then, I've been using Chrome on both platforms.

I'm curious, what is the reason for your poll? Do you have some new ideas for the site or are you conducting research for an external project?

The reason I switched to Chrome for my default browser is primarily because of the Chromium Project SPDY. Google is really pushing this new protocol in an effort to improve the speed of the Internet by reducing latency.

Currently, most of Google's domains, including YouTube, have the SPDY protocol enabled and when using a browser with SPDY turned on, like Chrome, those sites do load faster than on non-SPDY enabled browsers. Firefox has SPDY support, but needs to be manually enabled. Firefox 13 due out soon, is supposed to have it enabled by default. I'd love to see MacRumors.com enable the SPDY protocol on the domain for faster browsing as well.

Here are some links about the subject.

Security Now podcast summary:
This week, after catching up with the week's security and privacy news, Steve and Leo take a detailed look at the World Wide Web's current TCP & HTTP protocols, and examine the significant work that's been done by the Chromium Project on “SPDY”, a next-generation web protocol for dramatically decreasing page load times and latency and improving performance and interactivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.