Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lxylxy748

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
This is the question comfuesing me for a while.

Cuz the size of MBA just a little bit larger than iPad.

I think they might alreay consider it.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Apple would have to start marking Macs for which wireless networks they have the radio for and complicate inventory.

For the iPhone and iPad this makes sense to do with the higher volumes, but you notice they still sell a fair number of the WiFi only iPads?
Yes, and the MBA has a Keyboard and other things the iPad doesn't.

lxylxy748

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
Apple would have to start marking Macs for which wireless networks they have the radio for and complicate inventory.

For the iPhone and iPad this makes sense to do with the higher volumes, but you notice they still sell a fair number of the WiFi only iPads?
Yes, and the MBA has a Keyboard and other things the iPad doesn't.

they can always sell the MBA with 3G which is only option. The 3G model does not cost a lot, the normal USB 3G mobile broadband only takes about 30bucks.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I've posted my thoughts on this before - that at some point in the near future, there will be a convergence of data and voice communication where all devices will have the ability to access both voice and data wirelessly through cell service. It's not that the mba or pro macbook will start to look and act like the iPad or iPhone, but that you'll be able to do use any and all devices to either talk or type on for communication.

We're already there with services like Skype, but someone, and I'm guessing it will be Apple, needs to create a way that a mobile (cellular) number can be used on any of the devices you're currently working on and to be able to transfer a call from one device to another without hanging up. Perhaps I'm thinking too far into the future, but I agree that it should not be too difficult to add voice calling to the mba, or pro, or mac pro or mini or iPad.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
they can always sell the MBA with 3G which is only option. The 3G model does not cost a lot, the normal USB 3G mobile broadband only takes about 30bucks.
And would they sell enough of the 3G models for it to be cost effective? It would have to be a factory installed option and that would mean either stocking the stores with it or making it CTO only.

As an additional thought, for an internal 3G module, you need an antenna and it's a metal case. Oh and you do know once you stick 3G technology in it, the device needs approvals from the telecommunications agencies in every country you want to sell it in?

lxylxy748

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
And would they sell enough of the 3G models for it to be cost effective? It would have to be a factory installed option and that would mean either stocking the stores with it or making it CTO only.

As an additional thought, for an internal 3G module, you need an antenna and it's a metal case. Oh and you do know once you stick 3G technology in it, the device needs approvals from the telecommunications agencies in every country you want to sell it in?

Ya, all you said are truth. I throught this is too simple but it is really not that kind of simple.

Good to know you and thanks for all your information.

Good day :D

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
It's definitely been considered by Apple. A couple of months ago there was a story about a guy that bought a Macbook prototype with 3G off eBay and Apple requested it back. The thing dated to about 2006 or 2007, if I recall correctly. It was quite ugly because they had to put the antenna outside.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Battery would be a big reason. Remember Ipads have CPUs with a TDP of around 0.5W, MBAs (except 11" 2010 model) have a TDP of 17W.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It wouldn't be efficient just because of the way the MacBooks are made and the way people use them. Hence why they tried putting it on the side of the display and not on the bottom like most 3G/4G laptops have.

Risasi

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
Tether to your iPhone.

Ditto. As much as I would like to have an 11" MBA that has an aircard, it's probably more functional in the long run just to continue to use my iPhone for tethering. I bought the original iPad 1 w/ 3G and my wife and I have used it a grand total of twice. Then she got her Galaxy S and I got my iPhone 4 and haven't looked back.

I might also get a Verizon card not under contract. The few times a year I'm out of town on trips I can turn it on for that month. One place I go has very spotty service by all companies.

rutledjw

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011

For road warriors, I can see this being a BIG hit. Wi-fi is spotty and a lot of hotels charge and/or have crumby networks. I'd pay more for it...

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
For road warriors, I can see this being a BIG hit. Wi-fi is spotty and a lot of hotels charge and/or have crumby networks. I'd pay more for it...
Use bluetooth to tether it to your iPhone. Or use your iPhone as a wifi hotspot. No additional hardware required.

88 King

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
London, UK
3G uses a lot of battery, average 2 watts per hr on my Lenovo ThinkPad with 80 watts per hr batteries. On WIFI the laptop last 6 hrs, on 3G just below 5 hrs, so prepare to lose at lest 1 hr usage time on the Air if Apple inc 3G.

Also 3G card is not as small as many people thinks, it uses mSATA connection and is about half the size of a credit card. So unless Apple can design it as part of the motherboard, it is difficulty to see where there is space in the Air to fit it.

Plus macs have all metal case, so it needs a redesign for the aerial (think black strip on ipad 3G), otherwise the case will interfere with signal.

Like OP said, you can get a 3G USB drive very cheap, and knowing Apple, it will cost $$ as an option. so I don't see what the big deal is with Apple not inc 3G in their Air lineups.

Last edited:

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I actually prefer to just tether it to my phone and the mobile operators give out the my wifi devices for free these days as well.

robopath

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
Use bluetooth to tether it to your iPhone. Or use your iPhone as a wifi hotspot. No additional hardware required.

I'll add a +1 for bluetooth tethering. I used wifi for a while for better speed, but I found being able to activate the bluetooth from the air and not having to touch the phone outweighs any speed advantage. Battery seems to be better also.

rutledjw

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I thought about that as soon as I posted it, but was running to a meeting. I suppose it would be a wash on cost for the plan - tethering fees or pay a wifi plan on the laptop. So many phones support it nowadays that I guess it makes the most sense...

lxylxy748

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
Seriously, I do not like share my network from my phone to Mac. It uses too much battery and heats my phone.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
This is the question comfuesing me for a while.

I think they might alreay consider it.

Apple can be very stubborn, they're years behind the rest.

I've had ThinkPad after ThinkPad year after year with a 3G radio & SIM card slot built in. The current models will work on either AT&T or Verizon. With a very large effective antenna built into the lid, I get terrific connectivity when no WiFi is available. It's nice not to have to use an external device.

I don't believe Apple will ever catch up with their laptops & 3G.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
3g is so last year

answer: you upgrade phone (that you already own, with working 3g) more often than laptop, most likely. just use wifi hotspot (or plug in and charge at the same time).

I, for one, DON'T want 3g in the box. its a waste of time and will be obsolete before the machine is end of life anyway.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
It does seem on odd omission for portable hardware. Wireless providers probably wanted Apple to lock the hardware to their services or something lame like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.