Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmongral

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Is ML a new OS or is apple just doing what they have done since Leopard throw out a new set on apps and call it a new OS ?

has the unix core been updated for me that is the OS not the fancy apps we see, as I see it apple could just update the apps , finder, safari et al with updates without calling it a new OS.

For me OSX has looked and felt the same since Leopard

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
So FileVault 2 and full disk encryption support in the OS is not an update to the OS? (Added in Lion)

There are lots of changes between major versions of OS X, some of them just aren't as visible as others.

Of course there have been lots of information posted about the changes. Whether or not you like them, the changes are there.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Apple's OS upgrades are far more than updating the various applications. ML is the exact same thing, they change many things in the foundations. Most of these changes though are not talked about simply because they aren't things that consumers care about. If you do any research with the DP you can tell that there are changes though.

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Please go read John Siracusa's excellent OS X reviews on arstechnica. Every OS release has featured far more than cosmetic or app-level changes.

Seriously hanging out for the ML review for John Siracusa. As well, as being comprehensive he generally has good insight in to the way featured are heading and what clues that gives us about the next version.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
For me OSX has looked and felt the same since Leopard

That's because for the most part, the UI was decided on back in 2001.

There are plenty of changes internally to the way things work, if all you judge an OS by is the UI look then you'll find very little change.

Many of the changes in every release of OS X are aimed at developers - library updates to enable them to write more powerful software using updated programming APIs. This is why new software often needs newer versions of OS X - the old versions didn't contain the new features required.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
It is a new OS just like all the ones beforehand.

While some OS Updates are a lot visible than others i.e. more optical than under the hood, it doesn't change the fact that its a new OS.

wilsonhaven

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2009
Spaces was a big part of my workflow. I've adapted to the multiple desktops in Lion. I like it a lot. 20 desktops are a great option ... //smile

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
What i've learnt from viewing many users post on this forum is that if it looks the same its not something new.

:rolleyes:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Please go read John Siracusa's excellent OS X reviews on arstechnica. Every OS release has featured far more than cosmetic or app-level changes.

Seriously hanging out for the ML review for John Siracusa. As well, as being comprehensive he generally has good insight in to the way featured are heading and what clues that gives us about the next version.

I've never heard of these articles before. I know what I'll be reading tonight :)

I'm really hoping for a new version of OpenGL in Mountain Lion myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.