PDA

View Full Version : Powermac G5 OS install

tjsdaname
Apr 26, 2012, 03:44 PM
I read somewhere I can use ethernet in target disk mode to install the OS? is that true?

I have a leopard disk meant for a macbook, and I was told if I did that I could install it on my G5/

Thanks!

MAC MAN JW
Apr 26, 2012, 03:53 PM
I have a leopard disk meant for a macbook, and I was told if I did that I could install it on my G5/

Thanks!

It still wont work as that disc only has the drivers for your MacBook:( You will need a Retail Leopard disc.

tjsdaname
Apr 26, 2012, 03:56 PM
It still wont work as that disc only has the drivers for your MacBook:( You will need a Retail Leopard disc.

thats what I thought. wasn't sure.

I am just going to install tiger onto it until I can get ahold off a legit leopard disk.....

MAC MAN JW
Apr 26, 2012, 04:02 PM
thats what I thought. wasn't sure.

I am just going to install tiger onto it until I can get ahold off a legit leopard disk.....

If your PowerMac G4 in your signature Has OS X Leopard installed you can use carbon copy cloner to clone the G4's HD to the G5's HD:)

tjsdaname
Apr 26, 2012, 04:59 PM
If your PowerMac G4 in your signature Has OS X Leopard installed you can use carbon copy cloner to clone the G4's HD to the G5's HD:)

so, it doesn't... I got it 2 days ago and installed Tiger on it. (had OS 9)

this G5 is doing awesome!!! plays 720p youtube video without a single problem.

cjmillsnun
Apr 26, 2012, 05:24 PM
Actually not true

With software update it reinstalls all drivers. Have cloned a leopard setup from a MacBook onto a G5 (make sure partition system on G5 is AFP) and it works fine.

MAC MAN JW
Apr 26, 2012, 07:04 PM
Actually not true

With software update it reinstalls all drivers. Have cloned a leopard setup from a MacBook onto a G5 (make sure partition system on G5 is AFP) and it works fine.

I don't see how this can work as to use software update you must be logged in on the mac that needs the drivers, it will not boot with out the drivers and give a kernel panic that will say something like "unable to find driver for this platform powermac8,1". Please correct me if i am wrong:)

----------

so, it doesn't... I got it 2 days ago and installed Tiger on it. (had OS 9)

this G5 is doing awesome!!! plays 720p youtube video without a single problem.

What PowerMac G5 model do you have?. The G5 PowerMac's are very nice machines:D

Intell
Apr 26, 2012, 07:13 PM
Actually not true

This will work. Clone the Macbook's Leopard install over to the PowerMac via Target Disk Mode. Note the G5 MUST be formatted with APM.

I don't see how this can work as to use software update you must be logged in on the mac that needs the drivers, it will not boot with out the drivers and give a kernel panic that will say something like "unable to find driver for this platform powermac8,1". Please correct me if i am wrong:)

PowerMac G5's will boot from a 10.5.0 source. The restore discs Apple ships with Macs have all the needed drivers for the Mac it ships with and all older one that can run that operating system. In this case, the Macbook is running 10.5.X and thus includes all PowerPC G4 and G5 system drivers. As well as any Intell Mac that shipped with 10.4.X. And if the Macbook is upgraded to 10.5.8, it can boot any Mac that shipped with 10.5.X.

MAC MAN JW
Apr 26, 2012, 07:26 PM
This will work. Clone the Macbook's Leopard install over to the PowerMac via Target Disk Mode. Note the G5 MUST be formatted with APM.

PowerMac G5's will boot from a 10.5.0 source. The restore discs Apple ships with Macs have all the needed drivers for the Mac it ships with and all older one that can run that operating system. In this case, the Macbook is running 10.5.X and thus includes all PowerPC G4 and G5 system drivers. As well as any Intell Mac that shipped with 10.4.X. And if the Macbook is upgraded to 10.5.8, it can boot any Mac that shipped with 10.5.X.

Thanks for clearing this up:). I admit i was wrong:D

tjsdaname
Apr 26, 2012, 07:32 PM
What PowerMac G5 model do you have?. The G5 PowerMac's are very nice machines:D

It's a dual 2.5 with 4gb of ram and a ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128MB Video Card

if I didn't have my iMac I could easily see using it as my main computer.

MAC MAN JW
Apr 26, 2012, 07:47 PM
It's a dual 2.5 with 4gb of ram and a ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128MB Video Card

if I didn't have my iMac I could easily see using it as my main computer.

That is a nice Mac:)that is the one with the liquid cooling system right?.

tjsdaname
Apr 26, 2012, 07:49 PM
That is a nice Mac:)that is the one with the liquid cooling system right?.

yep, I got my fingers crossed lol

tjsdaname
Apr 28, 2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks guy's I got leopard installed on the G5.

I made a new partition on the macbook just big enough for a fresh install of leopard then I used target disc mode and carbon copy cloner to transfer in to the G5.

worked perfect!