Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

summitRun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
Would you trade your MBA 11 for this? $210 (with speakers) plus the iPad. You would have to be all in on the cloud for storage...

To gimmicky?? Love the dual purpose, though

FULL STORY (CNET)

The_Brydge_closed_610x343.jpg

The_Brydge_front_610x343.jpg

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Looks more like a hybrid MBP.

I would be interested in a very small, MBA-like/ipad hybrid, if it wouldn't end up being too gimmicky.

Bigredhawkeye

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2012
I'd be interested if they could produce something like the Ideapad Yoga.

13.3" tablet/laptop with IPS screen and 1600x900 resolution at least.

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2010
They should really include an extended battery in that thing for the price.

summitRun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
I'd be interested if they could produce something like the Ideapad Yoga.

13.3" tablet/laptop with IPS screen and 1600x900 resolution at least.

I'm a huge fan of Lenovo/ThinkPad but I think they are missing the mark on Yoga. No one wants a 13" tablet and if they end up including IB (as reported) the cost will be prohibitive.

The direction of OS is mobile so converting a tablet to a notebook is where things are headed. Lenovo has it backwards, pending what Metro gives us.

Convergence seems inevitable, at least for the masses. At some point somebody is going to hit the mark with a hybrid that will replace the 'ultrabook'. Would love it to be Apple...hope they see it in their crystal ball ;)

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
To gimmicky?? Love the dual purpose, though

No way. No, no way. I researched quite a bit when my netbook died. The MBA11" fixes a problem that I have. Here are the alternatives:

- Laptops: I used several (all 15") since 1998. They're basically computers like the Osborne: big and bulky. Way too big to use as an organiser.
- PDAs: I had a Psion 3c, 5 and 7. The 3c and 5 were capable machines in a great form factor. The 7 is about the size of a netbook. At that size, the limitations became clear: limited OS and applications, limited interoperability, ... Not a usable long-term solution.
- Netbooks: these try to overcome the limitations of PDAs by offering a full OS. They fail because the hardware isn't powerful enough.

I've read articles from writers who use an iPad + keyboard on the road. They convinced me that this setup offers exactly the problems of a Psion 7: there's too much hassle in post-processing because applications like Microsoft Office aren't native. With an MBA 11", I will get a full PC in a comparable size factor (a bit wider but also a bit thinner). At home, I can hook it up to a big screen and do anything I like. On the road, I have most functionality with me.

Admittedly, this is in theory because I haven't bought an MBA 11" yet. No cash, but that should be solved by the time the Ivy Bridge update hits the shops. ;)

Peter.

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Heavier than an Air11 - what's the point? I love my iPad and I love my Air but until the iPad and run all OsX and Windows applications it will not cover all my needs.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
NOT A CHANCE!!! And why is the keyboard so damn fat??? When I carried my iPad with me, I used an apple BT Keyboard and its extremely thin. The MBP is that thick because it contains the entire computer and several batteries. Why would I possibly want an iPad that is thicker and heavier and WAY less capable than my MBA?

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
Interesting idea but I don't think I want it. The iPad is just not a viable replacement for a laptop at this point. Its kind of funny how much people will spend to make their iPad imitate a MBA or MBP.

yanksrock100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2010
San Diego
Macbook Air 11 inch, 64 gigs: $999
iPad (64 gig) plus this: $920~ish

I would shell out the extra $70 bucks for a real Operating system, a trackpad with gestures, ect.

The 2 good factors of this: You can take out the iPad and use it as a tablet. And it has a really gorgeous screen. Probably by the end of the year, we will see retina on the 11 inch air however.

Good accessory if you already have an ipad though, but not better than an Air.

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
A couple key differences is the ability to use the iPad separately, and the battery life. 4-6 hours with the MBA and 9-10 with the iPad. Believe me, I own both.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Would I trade my MBA for this? No, never.

Would I welcome an MBA-iPad hybrid? Absolutely. Why have an iPad and an MBA when you can have both in one?

When the iPad is connected as the screen, a full fledged computer that is exactly like an MBA (Lion, blacklit keyboard, SSD, Ivy Bridge, extra battery life, trackpad, etc).

When the iPad is disconnected, a full fledged tablet that is exactly like an iPad (iOS, 10-hour battery, 32-64GB storage, etc).

Think of the positives - combined batteries for extra battery life, MBA with built-in 3G/LTE, retina display

It would be awesome, as long as it was done right... i.e. seamless and beautifully.

Last edited:

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
Would I trade my MBA for this? No, never.

Would I welcome an MBA-iPad hybrid? Absolutely. Why have an iPad and an MBA when you can have both in one?

When the iPad is connected as the screen, a full fledged computer that is exactly like an MBA (Lion, blacklit keyboard, SSD, Ivy Bridge, extra battery life, trackpad, etc).

When the iPad is disconnected, a full fledged tablet that is exactly like an iPad (iOS, 10-hour battery, 32-64GB storage, etc).

Think of the positives - combined batteries for extra battery life, MBA with built-in 3G/LTE, retina display

It would be awesome, as long as it was done right... i.e. seamless and beautifully.

I am thinking on similar lines. The thought & question is how will they COMPONENT-ize the two.

I'd love to use the Retina Display of the iPad 3 for Tablet usage (normal) and when I need full processing power & notebook usage, be able to crank it up.

Augure

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2009
The stupidest thing I've seen in a long time.

1. This doesn't make the iPad anything but...an iPad with a keyboard, like a hundreds of other exist

2. This is actually fatter and larger than my Macbook Air. The Keyboard looks more like a large Macbook Pro than a Macbook Air.

3. This is expensive as hell. For the price they could've add mouse support, extra battery, 4G tuner etc...

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The iPad is basically a phone with a big screen and that thing adds a keyboard. Wouldn't interest me... the Air is a real computer. :)

The iPad is basically a phone, except that you can't dial numbers and phone your friends with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.