Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
So I just tried reinstalling Lion off of a DVD backup that I made, and it turns out that it's broken. I don't have a spare external DVD drive, so I'm SOL with that... The Lion Internet recovery is telling me that the installer will take several days to download, so I'm planning on taking the system in for repairs in the next couple of days.

Is there some way that I can load up the DMG or whatever else files I got from the App Store on to a ~8gig USB flash drive so I could use it to install Lion in case I have to do it again in the future? I figure that multiple USB ports will be more reliable over time than a single DVD drive that can fail at any moment.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I don't think the Apple Store is gonna give you a DMG of Lion.

They do, however, sell Lion on a USB stick.

If you bought Lion from the App Store, you can redownload it if you can get your system running with the disks that came with it (unless you have a system that didn't come with disks....)

definitive

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
I don't think the Apple Store is gonna give you a DMG of Lion.

They do, however, sell Lion on a USB stick.

If you bought Lion from the App Store, you can redownload it if you can get your system running with the disks that came with it (unless you have a system that didn't come with disks....)

I already have the dmg file. I'm trying to find a simple way of turning it in to a bootable flash drive that I can use to install Lion off of.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.