Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gionnimata

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Since 1999 I have a PM G4 AGP Graphics 'Sawtooth', 400Mhz PowerPC 7400, 1 GB RAM, Mac OS 9.2.2. Recently I updated with a NVIDIA GeForce 6200A 256MB AGP card, Sonnet SATA and SSD 128 GB Verbatim, Mac OS X 10.4.11. I also bought on eBay an Apple PowerPC 7455 CPU dual 1Ghz. Can someone help me and tell me if it's possible to install the CPU on my G4 and how to do it.

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
Is your dual 1GHz module from a Quicksilver or an MDD? If MDD, no. If Quicksilver, see this thread.

Also some early Sawtooth motherboards do not support dual CPU daughtercards. Uni-N 7 or later is required to run dual CPU's in a Sawtooth.

Gionnimata

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Thanks for the help. This is the CPU
IMG_1333.jpg

So I guess it will not work.
I will try another CPU and see if you also change the power supply.
Wanting to keep the old heatsink, how to solve the contact with the two CPUs. I had added two sections of aluminum coated with graphite. Should I use thermal paste? Just the additional fan?

Last edited:

archtopshop

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
Thanks for the help. This is the CPU
So I guess it will not work.
I will try another CPU and see if you also change the power supply.
Wanting to keep the old heatsink, how to solve the contact with the two CPUs. I had added two sections of aluminum coated with graphite. Should I use thermal paste? Just the additional fan?

Before you purchase another Dual CPU board, read the page referenced below, and download the small utility located there to check your motherboard for UNI-N7 chipset.

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/actio...onse=answer.faq.lasso&-recordID=33672&-search

Hope this helps.

Gionnimata

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Thank you for your help. The serial number of my G4: CK94269KHLK and manufacturing date is October 1999. I'll try a single Sonnet CPU card maybe to 1.4 or 1.8 Ghz. Too bad because I had already removed the IDE connection. 7455 I will keep as a souvenir.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.