PDA

View Full Version : itunes library with dropbox

SilentLoner
Apr 27, 2012, 01:15 PM
Does this work as intended?

simsaladimbamba
Apr 27, 2012, 01:19 PM
Do you just mean the iTunes Library file or the complete iTunes library including the media and artwork?

It should work, if you have enough Dropbox space and good enough upload speeds.

I synch my Safari bookmarks and history (Safari Library folder) via Dropbox and two Macs. It sometimes slows down the www due to Dropbox uploading changes quite often (every twenty minutes or so).

GGJstudios
Apr 27, 2012, 01:19 PM
What exactly is your intention? Your post doesn't give any information to go on.

simsaladimbamba
Apr 27, 2012, 01:28 PM
What exactly is your intention? Your post doesn't give any information to go on.

Come on, you have been here long enough to read between the zeros and ones. Spinat cat not proud. Gets coal dog.

GGJstudios
Apr 27, 2012, 01:30 PM
Come on, you have been here long enough to read between the zeros and ones.
I could'a sworn there was a "2" in there, somewhere! :D
Spinat cat not proud. Gets coal dog.
Oh, no! Not the dog! :eek:

hafr
Apr 27, 2012, 01:32 PM

I don't know what you believe is "intended", but I wouldn't recommend using Dropbox for iTunes libraries.

First reason: every change in the library, even play count, changes the library files so you will have pretty much a constant syncing going on.

Second reason: Say you're using the same iTunes library on both computers. It looks identical on both computers. But if you change something on computer A, this change will not show up on computer B, even though the new version of the library is synced. And when you close iTunes on computer B, it will save its version, which in other words cancels out the change made in computer A. They will keep on canceling each other out.

If you're using only one computer at the time, I would recommend IDrive. You can sync the library files with a delay, so say you sync it every 60 minutes or so and you'll be rid of the problem with constant syncing.

If you're using two computers at the same time, I would very much like to know what you decide to do since I've been looking for a good solution to this for years :)

maturola
Apr 27, 2012, 01:40 PM

define: what's Intended? on your case....

musty345
Apr 27, 2012, 03:02 PM
Wouldn't you just be better off using iCloud with your iTunes library so you can access it on your iDevices as well?

SilentLoner
Apr 27, 2012, 11:15 PM
Basically I have a uk account and an American one and because the uk films can't go in the cloud so thought why not sync them. I'm not fussed about the upload and downloading

hafr
Apr 28, 2012, 09:22 AM
Basically I have a uk account and an American one and because the uk films can't go in the cloud so thought why not sync them. I'm not fussed about the upload and downloading

Oh, so it's the actual films and not the library files that you want to sync? Okay :) Well, I would recommend looking into another solution in that case, such as Wuala or IDrive.