PDA

View Full Version : Buying g3 ibook for 55 NZ dollars!

macbook pro i5
Apr 29, 2012, 11:17 PM
Is it a good deal?,I already have the early 2011 MacBook Pro but I just want to collect old apple products.

MJNBGA
Apr 29, 2012, 11:52 PM
Specs? Link? Hard to tell - it could either be a great deal, or a rip-off.

Macman45
Apr 29, 2012, 11:53 PM
If you are just collecting, and don't expect too much (the caps in those older g3's have a habit of conking out) I'd say go for it...Many threads here about people who have bought these older Macs back to life.

macbook pro i5
Apr 29, 2012, 11:58 PM
Specs? Link? Hard to tell - it could either be a great deal, or a rip-off.

Its a G3 64MB of RAM(I believe)Stock everything and i am buying it of from a friend.

Ariii
Apr 30, 2012, 12:00 AM
Is it a good deal?,I already have the early 2011 MacBook Pro but I just want to collect old apple products.

Is it one of the Clamshells or white models? The white ones had a common display issue, even though they have better performance. Since you already have an MBP, you probably wouldn't use the G3 for many heavy applications.

macbook pro i5
Apr 30, 2012, 02:22 AM
Is it one of the Clamshells or white models? The white ones had a common display issue, even though they have better performance. Since you already have an MBP, you probably wouldn't use the G3 for many heavy applications.

Its the blue Clamshell,now no way in hell is it gonna be my main machine:D but I would let my mum use it sometimes and mostly for holding movies on it,
Oh and BTW it has os 9.2 what is the latest OS X version that will run smoothly on it?

kwood72
Apr 30, 2012, 02:53 AM
Its the blue Clamshell,now no way in hell is it gonna be my main machine:D but I would let my mum use it sometimes and mostly for holding movies on it,
Oh and BTW it has os 9.2 what is the latest OS X version that will run smoothly on it?

There are people who have maxed it out to 576 and ran Tiger. Tiger runs decent on my old 2000 G3 iMac slot loader from the same era, and it has 768.
Go to the Every Mac site and see what they say.

JakeNZ
Apr 30, 2012, 02:54 AM
Yes take it. The clamshells are not often available in New Zealand. Not at that price anyway.

macbook pro i5
Apr 30, 2012, 03:07 AM
Yes take it. The clamshells are not often available in New Zealand. Not at that price anyway.

So it is a rare item in NZ? Sweet!

----------

There are people who have maxed it out to 576 and ran Tiger. Tiger runs decent on my old 2000 G3 iMac slot loader from the same era, and it has 768.
Go to the Every Mac site and see what they say.

Thanks for the website this is my first g3 computer:D gotta be knowledgeable

Ariii
Apr 30, 2012, 03:12 AM

Panther is the latest officially supported version. Actually with OS X, the updates usually meant increased functionality and performance, but it could probably run Tiger well with a 512 MB stick of RAM and using XPostFacto. Maybe you could make it a Linux machine if you installed a lightweight desktop environment, but it would take some work, and mine gave me a black screen whenever I tried to load a GUI. With Tiger, it would be great for web browsing, but Classilla works great, and Classic Environment could let you use software that might be easier to find in OS 9. Don't worry about losing OS 9 from your hard drive though, as it's been open-sourced.

kwood72
Apr 30, 2012, 03:16 AM

----------

Thanks for the website this is my first g3 computer:D gotta be knowledgeable

Here is the link for the iBook. Looks like Panther for the early model and Tiger for the later ones......

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/index-ibook.html

JakeNZ
Apr 30, 2012, 04:06 AM

Well you never really see them much on TradeMe. (Except for the two on there atm for $75 which I am surprised at)

I have never seen one in real life in NZ either.