Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whdigital

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Very nicely done and poignant to say the least. The first 90 seconds or so is quite comedic and I think it sets up the story perfectly, but I wonder if that's what they based the category on?

Curious what your intent is with it... This kind of short would make for an excellent "Sermon Illustration" video in the contemporary christian market about priorities and focus.

Nice job and thanks for sharing!

TaKashMoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2005
definitely not a comedy :confused:
Very well done! Good luck at the Film Festival. Mind sharing a few details about the production?

Thanks. I am not sure what details you'd like to hear but we shot the film entirely on the Canon 7d in Athens, Buford, and Atlanta, GA. We put the taxi in the back of a car-uhaul, and towed it around the city block. We were lucky enough to have a crane donated, and found a university parking lot in the city by the road to stick it in.

Most of the credit goes to the fantastic crew that worked for free. Our gaffer and grip were especially amazing for rigging up the lights and tinting the car windows to even out the lighting (inside of the car is very dark compared to the bright exteriors). I also have to credit the production designer/art director for finding a yellow taxi in Atlanta. That was surprisingly difficult to find.

Finally, our actors were wonderful. It was in the middle of summer last year when we filmed it, and because of sound, we couldnt turn the AC on except between takes. They not only were a joy to work with, but I think gave great performances.

----------

Very nicely done and poignant to say the least. The first 90 seconds or so is quite comedic and I think it sets up the story perfectly, but I wonder if that's what they based the category on?

Curious what your intent is with it... This kind of short would make for an excellent "Sermon Illustration" video in the contemporary christian market about priorities and focus.

Nice job and thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the comments. The intent of the film was the same with any film we make - try to entertain and say something about the world around us. Its wonderful if someone of any religion or background can take something from it.

I am so pleased to hear that you felt it was poignant. I am terrified of melodrama and am not sure if we entirely escaped it.

Thanks again.

whdigital

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Most definitely NOT "melodramatic" at all... I've watched it twice now and want to show it to others. This film strikes a really interesting chord between the child and the cabbie, both in the script and in the cinematography. It keeps growing on me!

This would be great to show to late teens surrounding a talk one the importance of priorities in one's life and and the importance of weighing your own against the realities of those around you. Maybe that's not what you were after, but I'm really loving that message in it, at least for me!

Thanks again for sharing...

TaKashMoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2005
Most definitely NOT "melodramatic" at all... I've watched it twice now and want to show it to others. This film strikes a really interesting chord between the child and the cabbie, both in the script and in the cinematography. It keeps growing on me!

This would be great to show to late teens surrounding a talk one the importance of priorities in one's life and and the importance of weighing your own against the realities of those around you. Maybe that's not what you were after, but I'm really loving that message in it, at least for me!

Thanks again for sharing...

Thank you very much for your kind words. Please share the film with as many people as you can.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Thanks. I am not sure what details you'd like to hear but we shot the film entirely on the Canon 7d in Athens, Buford, and Atlanta, GA. We put the taxi in the back of a car-uhaul, and towed it around the city block. We were lucky enough to have a crane donated, and found a university parking lot in the city by the road to stick it in.

Most of the credit goes to the fantastic crew that worked for free. Our gaffer and grip were especially amazing for rigging up the lights and tinting the car windows to even out the lighting (inside of the car is very dark compared to the bright exteriors). I also have to credit the production designer/art director for finding a yellow taxi in Atlanta. That was surprisingly difficult to find.

Finally, our actors were wonderful. It was in the middle of summer last year when we filmed it, and because of sound, we couldnt turn the AC on except between takes. They not only were a joy to work with, but I think gave great performances.

Thanks, I thought it was shot on a DSLR... The footage is fantastic as well as the story line. I used to have a family friend who lived in Buford lovely place. (wasn't parts of Forest Gump filmed there) Good luck at the film festival!

CHARLESJUDSON

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2012
Atl Film Fest - Why it was in Comedy Block

I can answer why it was in the Comedy block.

Drama shorts 1 was focused on African/African American shorts and Drama Shorts 3 was all women directors. That left Drama Shorts 2 to slot Detour in. I could have programmed it there, however, the overall tone of the films didn't lineup with Detour. Some of the shorts in that block are darker in theme and content than Detour. I was pretty sure Detour wouldn't fit in with a film about serial killer family or a short that's centered around an abortion. So to make sure people enjoyed the film as much as possible, it made more sense to program it with some of the comedies.

One of the things we strive to do is to not put films in blocks where they don't fit. It can make for a poor viewing experience for audiences and filmmakers. Leaving people to draw the wrong conclusions about an otherwise great little film.

TaKashMoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2005
I can answer why it was in the Comedy block.

Drama shorts 1 was focused on African/African American shorts and Drama Shorts 3 was all women directors. That left Drama Shorts 2 to slot Detour in. I could have programmed it there, however, the overall tone of the films didn't lineup with Detour. Some of the shorts in that block are darker in theme and content than Detour. I was pretty sure Detour wouldn't fit in with a film about serial killer family or a short that's centered around an abortion. So to make sure people enjoyed the film as much as possible, it made more sense to program it with some of the comedies.

One of the things we strive to do is to not put films in blocks where they don't fit. It can make for a poor viewing experience for audiences and filmmakers. Leaving people to draw the wrong conclusions about an otherwise great little film.

Hey Charles!

Glad to hear from you. Our post was never meant to be an insult, we just thought it would provoke interest and curiosity on these forums. It was a fun thing for us to ponder, and the truth is we were honored to be selected in ANY category.

Thanks so much for explaining your rationale and we had an amazing time.

All the best!

T

CHARLESJUDSON

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2012
Hey Charles!

Glad to hear from you. Our post was never meant to be an insult, we just thought it would provoke interest and curiosity on these forums. It was a fun thing for us to ponder, and the truth is we were honored to be selected in ANY category.

Thanks so much for explaining your rationale and we had an amazing time.

All the best!

T

Not insulted. Felt it was a good opportunity to elaborate. Several other films in the fest were slotted in categories the filmmakers felt didn't fit. Comedy does make people immediately think of "Ha Ha" funny and Drama illicits thoughts of things more "Somber".

Some of the best films rarely fall into either category and it's often difficult to really say define something as strictly a comedy with drama or as a drama with comedy. I can remember seeing films in festivals that were hurt by being included because they fit the definition of the block, but not the theme(s).

I'm not saying we always get it right, but, we do think about these things quite a bit as we are selecting films.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.