PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Home Media Server

lgwells1
Apr 30, 2012, 11:52 PM
I am fixing my old desktop PC, I just loaded Ubuntu 12.04. just a few final touches and it will be done. I have two iPhones, an iPad, jailbroken Apple TV 2, and a MBP. what I want to do is to load all of our media onto the server and stream it to all of our devices. what software should I be getting since I don't think there is an iTunes build for Ubuntu 12.04. I would also like to share the printer from the server to all of our devices if that is possible.

maxxaddict
May 1, 2012, 03:21 AM
Check out Plex (http://www.plexapp.com/).

It encodes the video on the fly and streams it to your devices (unlike XBMC that uses codecs loaded onto the AppleTV that I find really buggy)

I use this in my house with jailbroken Apple TV 2s, several laptops and desktops and iOS and android devices. Works great. The iOS and Android devices also function as remotes.

I also have the server application loaded on my MacBook so that I can take an AppleTV and an Airport Express when I visit my girlfriend on weekends.

The Linux software is server only and will handle your video and audio needs. Also Plex was the only software I found that worked with 5.1 audio every time.

The only thing that will cost you anything is 4.99 for the iOS app.

lgwells1
May 1, 2012, 08:48 AM
I just found an application called PlayonLinux. Apparently it will let me install iTunes on Ubuntu. I will have to try this out later.

lgwells1
May 2, 2012, 11:11 AM
Well, I could not get iTunes on Ubuntu as of this morning. Keeps popping up with some errors after installing with PlayOnLinux. I was really hoping this would work. I do have XBMC on my Apple TV 2 though, guess I could just install it on Ubuntu as well.

Any ideas welcome.