Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nghix123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
California
Hey everyone,

As some of you may know the 5DM3 now has dual memory card slots (CF and SDXC). I was wondering if anyone knew how to set one card to captures RAW files while the other captures JPEG? Seems like you can only set it to capture one type of format at one time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Hey everyone,

As some of you may know the 5DM3 now has dual memory card slots (CF and SDXC). I was wondering if anyone knew how to set one card to captures RAW files while the other captures JPEG? Seems like you can only set it to capture one type of format at one time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You can't have looked that hard? :p There's two relevant menu options... the first item on the first menu screen "Image quality", and the first item on the first wrench screen "Record func+card". Set the latter to "Rec. Separately" and then use the first to decide which card gets which quality/type :)

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
I agree that this was actually a little difficult to figure out and not intuitive. I have no clue why canon put the options to control recording of the cards not only on two different screens but in two totally different parts of the menu system. However, as Virtual Rain noted, you need to choose "record separately" for the cards and then go into the image size menu option separately to specify which cards to record which sizes (ie CF card records RAW images while SD card records JPEGs)

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
You can also quickly change them on the fly by using the "Q" button which brings up the QuickMenu where you can adjust many of your camera settings related directly to picture taking. You can change your setting from there as well. Just use the joystick (multi-controller) to move to wherever you want, hit the set button and make your changes then hit the set button again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.