PDA

View Full Version : Apple's New Highland Village Retail Store in Houston Hit by Gunfire

MacRumors
May 1, 2012, 01:05 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/01/apples-new-highland-village-retail-store-in-houston-hit-by-gunfire/)

Houston NBC affiliate KPRC reports (http://www.click2houston.com/news/HPD-Someone-fires-shots-at-5-businesses-on-Westheimer/-/1735978/12267100/-/28be8hz/-/) that five businesses along Westheimer Road in Houston were hit by random gunfire early Monday morning, with Apple's new Highland Village retail store (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/01/rumored-houston-retail-store-grand-opening-sparks-speculation-of-ipad-3-launch-on-march-16/) being one of the targets.The Houston Police Department confirms it is investigating five random shootings at business in southwest Houston.

Between 4:40 and 5:40 a.m. Monday, several windows were shot out. The targets were from gas stations to swanky furniture store Cantoni, officials said. [...]

The brand new Apple store at 4012 Westhiemer was also hit.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/05/apple_store_highland_village_shattered.jpg

Glass pane left of Apple logo shattered by gunfire (Source: KPRC-TV)
No one was injured in the shootings, although an employee and a customer at a Valero gas station narrowly escaped the gunfire.

Article Link: Apple's New Highland Village Retail Store in Houston Hit by Gunfire (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/01/apples-new-highland-village-retail-store-in-houston-hit-by-gunfire/)

Canaan
May 1, 2012, 01:08 AM
I'm glad no one was hurt.

Perhaps now is a good time to introduce iVest, an innovative approach to bulletproof clothing.

ixodes
May 1, 2012, 01:10 AM
Welcome to Texas

Ricky Smith
May 1, 2012, 01:14 AM
Next thing we know the apple stores will utilize bullet proof glass

mrxak
May 1, 2012, 01:36 AM
Next thing we know the apple stores will utilize bullet proof glass

Not exactly bullet proof, but take a look at that photo. The pane may have been shattered, but it's still essentially intact and holding its shape. There was no glass raining down on the street after it got hit by a bullet. That's some strong glass there to absorb that much force. People talk about those huge glass storefronts being dangerous, but clearly they're not.

Exotic-Car Man
May 1, 2012, 03:00 AM
I'm glad no one was hurt.

Perhaps now is a good time to introduce iVest, an innovative approach to bulletproof clothing.That may be a good investment. ;)

Not exactly bullet proof, but take a look at that photo. The pane may have been shattered, but it's still essentially intact and holding its shape. There was no glass raining down on the street after it got hit by a bullet. That's some strong glass there to absorb that much force. People talk about those huge glass storefronts being dangerous, but clearly they're not.It's Gorilla Glass, of course. :D

adder7712
May 1, 2012, 03:22 AM
At least the glass didn't break.

Perhaps this might foreshadow an imminent redesign of Apple retail outlets?

reden
May 1, 2012, 03:46 AM
At least the glass didn't break.

Perhaps this might foreshadow an imminent redesign of Apple retail outlets?

No dude, this is an isolated incident, and redesigning all Apple retail stores would be ridiculous because of this one incident.

Ivan P
May 1, 2012, 04:06 AM
No dude, this is an isolated incident, and redesigning all Apple retail stores would be ridiculous because of this one incident.

Not the first time this has happened, actually. A pane of glass at the Sydney Apple Store had to be replaced a few years ago after apparently being struck by a bullet. (http://www.itnews.com.au/News/158680,photos-sydney-apple-store-attempts-window-surgery.aspx)

GuitarDTO
May 1, 2012, 04:15 AM
Not exactly bullet proof, but take a look at that photo. The pane may have been shattered, but it's still essentially intact and holding its shape. There was no glass raining down on the street after it got hit by a bullet. That's some strong glass there to absorb that much force. People talk about those huge glass storefronts being dangerous, but clearly they're not.

Totally depends on the bullet. While the glass is surely strong, those bullets could have been .22 which are essentially glorified pellets. They could still kill a person at close range, but hit that glass with a .40 or larger and lets see how it holds up.

MythicFrost
May 1, 2012, 04:17 AM
I'm glad no one was hurt...But are the iPad's okay?

Must've been some Android fanboys....

lol :D

bronksy
May 1, 2012, 04:28 AM
They need to.

bazinga!!
May 1, 2012, 05:03 AM
LOL only in America

r.j.s
May 1, 2012, 05:46 AM
Mod note: Please keep the political comments restricted to the Politics, Religion and Social Issues forum.

bushido
May 1, 2012, 05:50 AM
Mod note: Please keep the political comments restricted to the Politics, Religion and Social Issues forum.

is this china? :P

r.j.s
May 1, 2012, 05:52 AM
is this china? :P

No, because there is a place to talk politics: here (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47).

FrizzleFryBen
May 1, 2012, 05:57 AM
No, because there is a place to talk politics: here (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47).

I see what you did there...Separate but equal? ;)

Frankly I thought the discussion was just getting good.

balamw
May 1, 2012, 05:57 AM

MOD NOTE: I created a thread for this topic here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14800000

If you wish to post anything political about this topic, please do so there.

B

Shrink
May 1, 2012, 05:59 AM
Boy, those Android fans can get really testy...

SuperCachetes
May 1, 2012, 06:49 AM
Looks like Apple uses laminated or safety glass of some sort. Just wondering: Are there laws governing what kind of glass shopfronts can use?

Building codes do require safety glass at certain heights and in proximity to doors and walking surfaces, but it is not always laminated, necessarily. Based on Apple's storefront system there, that was likely special glass regardless.

rmwebs
May 1, 2012, 07:02 AM

You'll probably find it just has a plastic film on it. They do it in schools to prevent shattering glass in classrooms, its not new, its not fancy, its been done for 30+ years. Pretty much every shop does it.

macphotographer
May 1, 2012, 07:17 AM
Not a very good shot. They missed the apple! :)

Gasu E.
May 1, 2012, 07:34 AM
You'll probably find it just has a plastic film on it. They do it in schools to prevent shattering glass in classrooms, its not new, its not fancy, its been done for 30+ years. Pretty much every shop does it.

Right, this is very low tech. The glass door to my patio deck shattered into thousands of pieces, and not one slivver fell out of the frame.

Macwick
May 1, 2012, 07:34 AM
Maybe a customer on his 12th iPad with pink/yellow screen.....

timbloom
May 1, 2012, 08:22 AM
Totally depends on the bullet. While the glass is surely strong, those bullets could have been .22 which are essentially glorified pellets. They could still kill a person at close range, but hit that glass with a .40 or larger and lets see how it holds up.

Not even just close range.. the .22LR is surprisingly effective even at 200-300 yards with a rifle. But either way, that could be a .22 or a .50BMG and you couldn't tell from the picture. It likely went right on through and shattered the glass, but the glass is designed to shatter into a million pieces and laminated (or something of the sort) so it still retains its shape. You could probably put 20 rounds into that window, and short of the points of impact it should remain hanging... but the rounds likely passed right through.

mattroman246
May 1, 2012, 08:30 AM
"My 100th iPad has a dead pixel, FUUUUUUU Apple!"

dokujaryu
May 1, 2012, 08:57 AM
I was born in Texas...

And maybe it's just the Texas in me talkin'...

But why else would you build a store made out of glass if you weren't gonna shoot it?

nylonsteel
May 1, 2012, 09:02 AM
re original article

aapl need to invent a deflector sheild against thugs and crackheads who shoot up poor innocent aapl stores

Shaun, UK
May 1, 2012, 09:04 AM
RIM are really getting desperate now lol

shardey
May 1, 2012, 09:40 AM
re original article

aapl need to invent a deflector sheild against thugs and crackheads who shoot up poor innocent aapl stores

What?

Those are large sheets of glass, probably will cost in an excess of a million or so to replace those.

Drunken Master
May 1, 2012, 10:05 AM
Welcome to Houston!

Though, Highland Village is near River Oaks, which is as rich as it gets around here so this is pretty surprising. It was bad enough that thieves were going to the Galleria and surrounding high-end stores and doing smash-and-grabs at jewelry and Hermes stores recently but this takes the cake.

mcfmullen
May 1, 2012, 10:07 AM
The pane may have been shattered, but it's still essentially intact and holding its shape..

So what is it? Shattered or intact?

From dictionary.com:

Shattered:
verb (used with object)
1.*to break (something) into pieces, as by a blow.

Intact:

adjective
1.*not altered, broken, or impaired; remaining uninjured, sound, or whole; untouched; unblemished.

It can't be both! The proper word to use is: damaged.

bedifferent
May 1, 2012, 10:21 AM
They shot the Apple logo!?

It was a drive by fruiting! :p

Comeagain?
May 1, 2012, 10:32 AM
They shot the Apple logo!?

It was a drive by fruiting! ;p

Being a lover of terrible puns, lol.

Being as I'm still sane, :eek:

Verbatim Cookie
May 1, 2012, 10:34 AM
LOL only in AmericaO RLY? Didn't you see the comment below that was posted almost an hour before you posted yours?Not the first time this has happened, actually. A pane of glass at the Sydney Apple Store had to be replaced a few years ago after apparently being struck by a bullet. (http://www.itnews.com.au/News/158680,photos-sydney-apple-store-attempts-window-surgery.aspx)

johncrab
May 1, 2012, 10:50 AM
It's Texas. Get back to us with some news.

BKF
May 1, 2012, 10:52 AM
This is why we can't have nice things.

jgc
May 1, 2012, 11:11 AM
Shatterproof glass. It's designed to prevent shattering even with the impact of powerful bullets passing through. It's used in (I want to say most) glass storefronts and in your car's windshield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminated_glass

PracticalMac
May 1, 2012, 01:05 PM
Sitting in a restaurant once next to window, BB shattered that and I was showered in glass.

Few puncture wounds, no cuts, I walked away from mess (sans remaining lunch).

The Apple store is damn near bulletproof with approx 4 times larger glass plane and be hit by a much faster and heavier bullet and still hold the pieces in place!!

Shrink
May 1, 2012, 04:06 PM
Being a lover of terrible puns, lol.

Being as I'm still sane, :eek:

We only have your word for that.:rolleyes:

:D

carlgo
May 1, 2012, 08:30 PM
I thought the cubicle thing in Manhattan would be shot at first. Now watch for copycat shooters.

Bingbonghoho
May 1, 2012, 08:33 PM
Wirelessly posted

Al CIA da taking over, along with Seattle and Washington... Ahem ahem

lyricthejoe
May 1, 2012, 09:04 PM
Just don't drop the windows on any pavement, or cover them incorrectly so as to block the view through it, and you're good. Point a gun at it, though, and it'll be alright. :p

gullySn0wCat
May 2, 2012, 01:12 AM
No one was injured in the shootings, although an employee and a customer at a Valero gas station narrowly escaped the gunfire.

Narrowly escaped it? Bullet time?:confused:

JustinTexas
May 3, 2012, 07:34 AM
Just to set things straight. I visited the store last night. This is now the closest Apple store to me, so it really wasn't too much of a stretch.
Two panels where shot, one which is above the door, and one of the far right side. Best guess, those panels are 10 feet wide, and the one above the door is about 15-20 feet tall. The 2nd panel is 10 feet wide, and the height of the whole store. The apple guy said it only shattered the 1st panel, and stopped in the 2nd panel. The panels are actually 3 panels of glass stuck together. Since we can get hurricanes here, I'm sure the glass was engineered to withstand a hurricane.
Also, I find it odd that local news really has said too much about this event or all the other events that happened. This did occur on the day that "Occupy" people staged events around the country. My guess is, this is related to that, since at the same time several other high end stores was targeted as well. I just hope those idiots are occupying jail cell very soon...

lyricthejoe
May 3, 2012, 12:32 PM
I have a friend that works at an Apple store here, that was victim to vandalism involving a shattered window. It took over two months to get a replacement pane of glass for the store-front. Whatever they're putting in that glass is certainly strong, and takes quite a bit of time to generate.

mukade
May 3, 2012, 09:25 PM
Those Samsung fanboys are taking it
just a little to far now. :)

----------

I have a friend that works at an Apple store here, that was victim to vandalism involving a shattered window. It took over two months to get a replacement pane of glass for the store-front. Whatever they're putting in that glass is certainly strong, and takes quite a bit of time to generate.

All Apple glass contains essence of Woz.

He only ripens twice a year, so they have
to wait until they can milk that potent geek juice.

LarryC
May 14, 2012, 09:09 AM
I think it was someone who is upset about Apple's insane plan to remove Firewire and the ODD from the newer Macbook Pro laptop. I have to say that I agree with the angry man or woman with the gun.

koruki
May 14, 2012, 05:50 PM

I don't think its part of the regulations to design and build a retail store to that withstands event .22 bullets let alone .40. To call it dangerous because it can't up to bullets is silly.

IPlayFair
May 15, 2012, 11:02 PM
It's Texas....

MacDoggie
May 18, 2012, 10:14 AM
There is a Apple Store in highland Village!??

Man I need to get out more. We usually go the the Galleria (which is a nightmare). Oh and in regards to the shooting, IMO, most likely android fanboys. It's obvious! Even with a huge target like that and they still missed their mark...Hmmm much like their product, no wonder : )

Cheers

----------

It's Texas....

Well it occurred in Texas if that's what you mean... But the generalization of all Texans is a bit presumptuous and overreaching on your part. No one is without any claim to ignorance or stupidity. Let's be nice here : )

zorinlynx
May 18, 2012, 10:55 AM

This is tempered safety glass.

Tempered: It's heat-treated then cooled so that it's really strong, and if it does break, it shatters into millions of small pieces that can't really hurt you much.

Safety: It has a plastic film embedded in it, so those pieces stay in the frame and don't come raining down.

It's the best of both worlds. Read up on tempered glass, prince rupert's drops and do some googling; it's neat stuff!

appleaddictx
May 19, 2012, 11:00 AM
:D Everyone is concerned about the glass and not the guy that almost got shot. :D

Macist
May 21, 2012, 02:37 PM
'But at least wuh goddam fur-ree...'

Drunken Master
May 21, 2012, 03:23 PM
:D Everyone is concerned about the glass and not the guy that almost got shot. :D

Hah, sounds like it was probably a stray bullet fired from some distance, who knows where the actual shooting was.

Crmass100511
May 22, 2012, 08:55 PM
Windows shatter and Crash Apple is For Ever

Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/01/apples-new-highland-village-retail-store-in-houston-hit-by-gunfire/)

Houston NBC affiliate KPRC reports (http://www.click2houston.com/news/HPD-Someone-fires-shots-at-5-businesses-on-Westheimer/-/1735978/12267100/-/28be8hz/-/) that five businesses along Westheimer Road in Houston were hit by random gunfire early Monday morning, with Apple's new Highland Village retail store (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/01/rumored-houston-retail-store-grand-opening-sparks-speculation-of-ipad-3-launch-on-march-16/) being one of the targets.Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/05/apple_store_highland_village_shattered.jpg)

Glass pane left of Apple logo shattered by gunfire (Source: KPRC-TV)

Article Link: Apple's New Highland Village Retail Store in Houston Hit by Gunfire (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/01/apples-new-highland-village-retail-store-in-houston-hit-by-gunfire/)

macbookflasher
Jun 6, 2012, 07:57 AM
Both companies are good... hope they will do business good :)

macbookflasher
Jun 10, 2012, 03:35 AM
so tragic but i am glad that no one got hurt

Major.Robto
Jun 10, 2012, 06:35 AM
Maybe a customer on his 12th iPad with pink/yellow screen.....

LOL, I remember that guy, what a picky person.

I would be happy with a working ipad. I could care less if the screen is a bit of a tint.

PinkyMacGodess
Jun 10, 2012, 07:23 AM
Right, this is very low tech. The glass door to my patio deck shattered into thousands of pieces, and not one slivver fell out of the frame.

That was because it was tempered glass. Tempered glass is required in patio doors and other large panes of glass like shower doors, etc.

Bubba Satori
Jun 11, 2012, 05:14 PM
I bet the Mac Pro owners are armed and dangerous after today. :D

Fast Shadow
Jun 11, 2012, 05:54 PM
Cantoni's not even that nice.