PDA

View Full Version : inappropriate language

d4rkc4sm
May 1, 2012, 03:27 PM
A moderator keeps sending me warnings,

three warnings now over words like "horny", "dildo" and "dick"

what internet forum you cant use those words? is this china?

i mean seriously...

please if these are "inappropriate words" can we at least have a running list of what words will trigger a mod reponse and then black them out please. this policing of inappropriateness is getting tiring.

r.j.s
May 1, 2012, 03:30 PM
Do not use the Site and Forum Feedback for personal moderation issues since forum moderation is handled privately. See Moderation privacy (http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Moderation_FAQ#Moderation_privacy). If you want specifics about a particular case privately, please use the Contact Us link below.

However, You can waive your right to moderation privacy when posting in the Site and Forum Feedback forum if you say explicitly that you give us permission to discuss the reasons behind your moderation. This includes your previous forum record, since that's a factor.

Do you waive your right to privacy?

AdrianK
May 1, 2012, 04:58 PM
However, You can waive your right to moderation privacy when posting in the Site and Forum Feedback forum if you say explicitly that you give us permission to discuss the reasons behind your moderation. This includes your previous forum record, since that's a factor.

Do you waive your right to privacy?
I don't think the OP is asking why they got a warning in their case, but rather asking when their use won't get you a warning, since they aren't on the censored list.

r.j.s
May 1, 2012, 05:00 PM
I don't think the OP is asking why they got a warning in their case, but rather asking when their use won't get you a warning, since they aren't on the censored list.

Yes, but a list of words does not matter as much as context.

AdrianK
May 1, 2012, 05:08 PM
Yes, but a list of words does not matter as much as context.
That's what I'm saying.

r.j.s
May 1, 2012, 05:13 PM
That's what I'm saying.

I can't go into the context without the OP waiving privacy, and I can't just provide a list of different contexts where the words are inappropriate - because that's just not reasonable or appropriate for the forum.

-aggie-
May 1, 2012, 05:19 PM
OP, this isn't China. It's also not grade school.

AlphaDogg
May 1, 2012, 07:50 PM
OP, if you don't like the rules of this forum, then leave. We aren't going to change our rules to make it more vulgar. Sorry to be so harsh, but that's just how it is.

AppLCII
May 1, 2012, 08:40 PM
Time to bring out the George Carlin record Class Clown.

Seven_dirty_words (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words)

Somehow I doubt we have 10 year olds trolling macrumors forums. They're all too busy flogging insults on Playstation game rooms.

And what about Hand Tourrete's? Is MacRumors prejudice towards the handicapped?

shinobi-81
May 1, 2012, 09:00 PM
please if these are "inappropriate words" can we at least have a running list of what words will trigger a mod reponse and then black them out please. this policing of inappropriateness is getting tiring.

"Dick" as a diminutive form of the name Richard is probably acceptable. However, as a vulgar slang term for male genitals, it counts as inappropriate language here on MR. Such a list will therefore be incomplete or ridiculous, since it's your use of the term that matters.

This isn't China, but it's not 4chan either.

yanksrock100
May 1, 2012, 10:22 PM
When discussing Apple Products, Apps, games, ect., do those words really need to be said? I for one, don't enjoy seeing bad words all over the forum. :confused:

GGJstudios
May 1, 2012, 10:26 PM
please if these are "inappropriate words" can we at least have a running list of what words will trigger a mod reponse
A mature adult with a moderately developed vocabulary and a modicum of social awareness shouldn't need a list to help them know what's appropriate language in a forum frequented by people aged 13 and up.

Starfighter
May 2, 2012, 07:13 AM
I agree to the fullest with this last post. ^

...but I have to ask myself, why do we presume d4rkc4sm is an adult? Maybe he/she is, in fact, 13 years old. In that case I can understand why it seems confusing and unfair. Because everything tends to be, at that age.. :)

Tomorrow
May 2, 2012, 08:01 AM
OP, here at MacRumors, it helps to remember two things:

1. Privacy is sacred. Moderation happens behind a curtain.

2. There are rules which you will be told to read, but then you'll be told that some things can't be in the rules because they're subjective (like how words are taken in context). Then if you complain about how these things are subjectively (and inconsistently) moderated, you'll be told how there is no inconsistency, and that the mods simply enforce the rules.

Make sense?

GoCubsGo
May 2, 2012, 08:25 AM
OP, if you don't like the rules of this forum, then leave. We aren't going to change our rules to make it more vulgar. Sorry to be so harsh, but that's just how it is.

Who is this "we" you speak of?

ILikeTurtles
May 2, 2012, 11:24 AM
OP, here at MacRumors, it helps to remember two things:

1. Privacy is sacred. Moderation happens behind a curtain.

2. There are rules which you will be told to read, but then you'll be told that some things can't be in the rules because they're subjective (like how words are taken in context). Then if you complain about how these things are subjectively (and inconsistently) moderated, you'll be told how there is no inconsistency, and that the mods simply enforce the rules.

Make sense?

You hit the nail on the head - or should I say the dick on the dildo?
Must resist the nagging urge to type the seven deadly words.......help....me!

WillEH
May 2, 2012, 11:30 AM
I got a 4 King 7, in poker the other day.

Have a nice day.

rdowns
May 2, 2012, 11:31 AM
You hit the nail on the head - or should I say the dick on the dildo?
Must resist the nagging urge to type the seven deadly words.......help....me!

I think niggling urge would be a better term. :D

r.j.s
May 2, 2012, 11:47 AM
OP, please PM a mod (http://forums.macrumors.com/showgroups.php) to reopen this thread when you want to continue the discussion.