PDA

View Full Version : LeopardAssist on a G3 - Someone redefine this for me.

Umbreus
May 2, 2012, 07:18 PM
I'm trying to install Leopard on an iBook G3...
Here are my specs:

40GB HDD
640mHz PowerPC G3 Processor
256 MB of RAM

I've been told that you can use LeopardAssist on PowerPC models but their website states you can't install it on those CPU models.

Someone help me. Please.

:confused:

Jethryn Freyman
May 2, 2012, 08:07 PM
Leopard simply doesn't function on G3 processors, no matter what, you NEED a G4 or higher.

tayloralmond
May 2, 2012, 08:58 PM
I'm trying to install Leopard on an iBook G3...
Here are my specs:

40GB HDD
640mHz PowerPC G3 Processor
256 MB of RAM

I've been told that you can use LeopardAssist on PowerPC models but their website states you can't install it on those CPU models.

Someone help me. Please.

:confused:

As the above poster said, G3's are not supported. The only versions of Leopard that supported G3's were the early developer builds. Apple yanked the G3 code before Leopard's release.

DrakkenWar
May 3, 2012, 01:18 AM
What I might add? I have owned more than a few G3 iBooks in my time and with the proper amount of ram (read MAXED!!!) 10.4 is a gem. It will really do anything you ask of a laptop of that age. You are not going to be mucking out heavy flash and what not, but with mactubes, camino, and some other fine bits of software you can really get some use out of those iBooks.

I would however, shy away from installing linux on these beasts unless you have a bit of tech-savy running in your blood. While most distributions available for the PPC's will run faster than 10.4 you will give up a lot. I.E. Flash is pretty much gone, and do not get me started on trying to muck out xorg issues.

~Drake

tayloralmond
May 3, 2012, 09:32 AM
What I might add? I have owned more than a few G3 iBooks in my time and with the proper amount of ram (read MAXED!!!) 10.4 is a gem. It will really do anything you ask of a laptop of that age. You are not going to be mucking out heavy flash and what not, but with mactubes, camino, and some other fine bits of software you can really get some use out of those iBooks.

I would however, shy away from installing linux on these beasts unless you have a bit of tech-savy running in your blood. While most distributions available for the PPC's will run faster than 10.4 you will give up a lot. I.E. Flash is pretty much gone, and do not get me started on trying to muck out xorg issues.

~Drake

I got curious a year or so ago and installed the community supported build of PowerPC Ubuntu. While it ran fairly smoothly, it was just missing something. I'm not talking about features (although that was true too), but Ubuntu just isn't as refined as OS X is. Because Tiger is still a great OS, there's no reason to remove it from my G3's. Maybe that'll change in the near future, but I doubt it.

Imixmuan
May 4, 2012, 12:16 PM
.... sure is purrrrrrty but will run dog slow on a G3. That's my expeirence anyway. MintPPC is so much better. In fact it was so good I used it exclusively for about three months, and found I didn't miss OS X at all. Then my ibook G4 it was installed on bit the dust. I mean, you've got Firefox (Iceweasel) and Midori, the latest VLC, mplayer, minitube, exaile, abiword and gnumeric....what more do you really need?

No question Mac OS X wins hands down in terms of refinement. Hands down. Steve had incredible taste, and it showed. But that refinement came with alot of graphical overhead, and Mac OS X, even Tiger, really bogs down older hardware. Use MintPPC for a week and you will be amazed what old hardware can do!

I hear Lubuntu PPC 12.04 runs very well on the G4's, but have no direct experience with that. I know this is not a Linux forum. Just sayin'.