Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tb7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Hello, one week ago I recieved in the mail a new 15 inch powerbook, which is my first mac ever. I am very pleassed but have one problem. Every time I unplug or plug in my power adaptor, my display malfunctions and everything freezes for about 10 secounds. I first noticed this another instance, the display malfunctioned similarly when using the full screen visual effects in itunes. This had happened after I connected my powerbook to my television via dvi cable, and then disconnected it. I don't think that has any relevance to my problem as it seems to me being a PC user I would assume it is in the driver of the video card not being fully compatible with other hardware, I would assume on a mac you do not have this problem though so anyone have any ideas? I will post what the Display looks like when this problem occurs.

I have the 15 inch powerbook with the radeon 128 mb video card, an 1.67 processor. I believe the 128mb video card is the issue, anyone have this problem any suggestions? Thank you

UPDATE

I visited the Apple store nearest me and they were very helpful they were able to confirm that my machine was defective, and talked to the apple store phone network for me. They told me that within 48 hours i will be contacted by email with instuctions for handling what they called a Dead on arrival product (DOA) any of you had any expierence with this procedure... what can i expect from apple? shipping, repair, replacement, time frame ext anything... thank you i cant wait for my first mac that....works! hahaUPDATE

Attachments

• P1010048.JPG
    P1010048.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 231

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
tb7 said:
Hello, one week ago I recieved in the mail a new 15 inch powerbook, which is my first mac ever. I am very pleassed but have one problem. Every time I unplug or plug in my power adaptor, my display malfunctions and everything freezes for about 10 secounds. I first noticed this another instance, the display malfunctioned similarly when using the full screen visual effects in itunes. This had happened after I connected my powerbook to my television via dvi cable, and then disconnected it. I don't think that has any relevance to my problem as it seems to me being a PC user I would assume it is in the driver of the video card not being fully compatible with other hardware, I would assume on a mac you do not have this problem though so anyone have any ideas? I will post what the Display looks like when this problem occurs.

I have the 15 inch powerbook with the radeon 128 mb video card, an 1.67 processor. I believe the 128mb video card is the issue, anyone have this problem any suggestions? Thank you

Unfortunately there is only 1 solution to this dillemma.... Call Apple NOW!! If this is happening only a week after you got it, you may be able to get a new one ;)

aussie_geek

tb7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
runninmac-thanks

Thank you all, I will go to the apple store that just opened in my area tomorow. Runninmac, small world I live in Grand Rapids, as well convienent that there is an apple store in woodland now

tb7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
UPDATE

I visited the Apple store nearest me and they were very helpful they were able to confirm that my machine was defective, and talked to the apple store phone network for me. They told me that within 48 hours i will be contacted by email with instuctions for handling what they called a Dead on arrival product (DOA) any of you had any expierence with this procedure... what can i expect from apple? shipping, repair, replacement, time frame ext anything... thank you i cant wait for my first mac that....works! haha

Ajmbc

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2003
Louisiana
This is _exactly_ what happens to me! Whenever I change power management settings or plug/unplug my mac the display malfunctions like that until i click the mouse button...

What is the config on your machine? I have 1.67, 128 mb vram, 1 g ram, superdrive.

TheHorseKilla

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2005
I have the same problem, but it corrects itself immediately. Do you guys think this might lead to other problems?

tb7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
yes mine started out that way but progressively has gotten slightly worse now after doing anything related to the power managment i get some pixel annomilies, apple store definately said it was wrong and claimed it was dead on arrival and did everything they could to get me a new machine. I suggest you go in or call. my config was exactly that 1.67, 128 vram..........any idea about the DOA exchange policy though

crachoar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Ohio
That must've sucked some donkeys.

But you have to admit, it looks kind cool...

Kind of like my shattered iBook LCD!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.