PDA

View Full Version : Air Display vs XDisplay

sheeptwo
May 3, 2012, 06:07 PM
What app is better for using an Ipad as a second display and viewing flash/videos?

I only tried XDisplay as it has a free trial. I have some questions for those using Air Display:

1. Can you switch between the extra monitor and the main screen, thus making it a remote control app?

2. If yes to #1, does Air Display change your desktop's resolution or you can view your full 1920x1080 desktop?

3. Do you have to change between Video mode and "Normal" mode like in Splashtop?

4. How is the video quality and performance if I decide to stream a video or a flash game? Any "hiccups" when streaming videos?

filmbuff
May 3, 2012, 07:58 PM
1. yes, you can mirror it.

2. your desktop will reset to iPad resolution

3. not sure what you mean

4. you can't play flash games, or even think about watching videos on the iPad with Air Display. There is really no wireless solution that can do that because the connection just isn't fast enough.

sheeptwo
May 3, 2012, 08:43 PM
Ok, I found out from others that the video isn't smooth in Air Display.

I bought Splashtop Remote Desktop and found out that not only I can use its remote control function, I can configure it to work as a second display (without buying their XDisplay app). Not only that, but the flash video and audio runs smooth (although at some quality loss and occasional hiccups).

4. you can't play flash games, or even think about watching videos on the iPad with Air Display. There is really no wireless solution that can do that because the connection just isn't fast enough.

A wifi is more than enough for this.

P.S. I only tested the second monitor function on Windows 7 and the trick from:
http://www.zoneos.com/zonescreen.htm (Using force-detected display in Windows 7).

Tinmania
May 3, 2012, 08:52 PM
I totally don't get the comment "or even think about watching videos." That is strange as WiFi handles video on Apple TV just fine. And I can do it with screen sharing from mac to mac to0 (without sound of course).

Ergo, video is smooth on my iPad 3. Heck, I used Air Display with my iPad 1 and it was able to handle video too (but that was a little slow on my 2010 air--worked fine on a faster mac and now even my 2011 air). That is my primary use for Air Display. I'm not talking about full HD from iTunes. I'm talking about Netflix or XBMC (or similar).

As for the thing that Splashtop does for video, it does not apply to Air Display.

Michael

dmetzcher
May 20, 2012, 06:59 PM
I bought Splashtop Remote Desktop and found out that not only I can use its remote control function, I can configure it to work as a second display (without buying their XDisplay app).

How do you do this? I'm having trouble finding the setting or button or whatever makes this possible. I own Splashtop Remote Desktop, and I don't want to buy another piece of software to extend my Mac's display using the iPad if I don't have to.