Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2003
SC
i bought a superdrive off ebay. it is a pioneer 109. in system profiler it says the drive is 1.4 on the pioneer site the firmware for windows is 1.55 but nothing for mac. can anyone check what firmware their superdrive has and post it here?
thanks
tony walker

icarusflies

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2005
Apple firmware can't be done. Sorry ;-)

But - and this will make your year! - there is a crack.

Simply go to Patchburn.de and download either the tiger or panther patch.

Just saved my company over £3000 buying oem Pioneer drives instead of Superdrives. Nice bonus ;-) :)

ScottN

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2004
London, England
icarusflies said:

Just saved my company over £3000 buying oem Pioneer drives instead of Superdrives. Nice bonus ;-) :)

That is fantastic! I've had a redundant Sony DVD writer left over from when I made the switch and, thanks to this information, I've just burnt my first DVD from my little iBook!

I can't thank you enough - fantastic!

:D

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
For additional information on Superdrive compatability, http://www.XLR8YourMac.com is a great tool for matching up superdrive models with mac models and finding out what's needed to get the two to work together.

gjugger

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2005
Firmware for Pioneer DVR-109.

icarusflies said:

I installed the Patchburn for panther, but I can not read DVD's. I get the message that the format is not supported I am trying to open "Video_TS.BUp, IFO, and VOB". I just installed DVD Player 3.1.1 and that didn't help. Sure would appreciate some advice as to how I can read DVD's.

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
ok

can i install patchburn to run along side my apple superdrive as well as a external one ?

also will it mess with my original drives firmware or cause any problems
with it ?

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.