Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
Simply made the second screen show related information and enhance the experience. For instance, on a calendar app, have the main display show weekly view and the second display show monthly view. For mail, have the messages on the main display and browsing the messages list on the second display. Obviously, every app that doesn't have to use this functionality, but I think it can work well in certain situations and deserves to be an option.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Simply made the second screen show related information and enhance the experience. For instance, on a calendar app, have the main display show weekly view and the second display show monthly view. For mail, have the messages on the main display and browsing the messages list on the second display. Obviously, every app that doesn't have to use this functionality, but I think it can work well in certain situations and deserves to be an option.

My fix would be to make one full-screen and the other not, so a three-finger swipe would only effect one of them. I use one for XMBC, which supports a non-Lion full screen, and I've adapted to using windows instead of desktops in the other one. But I'd prefer to have it just work.

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
As far as I know, this functionality is supported (see VMware's multi-monitor full screen support). I think the better solution would be to have each monitor have its own spaces, independent of each other. Leopard's Spaces approach didn't make sense to have them be independent, but Lion's does.

plasticphyte

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
The simple, and IMO, only correct way to fix this is to make whatever screen the app is running in switch to full screen mode, as well as have an option to allow a user to choose which window to make the app full screen to.

Besides, personally I think the concept of full screen windows in Mac OS X is pointless.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
^ I think your right.
Never understood why the space was tied to a particular monitor.
We should be able to call up mission control on any monitor and just pick one from the pool of inactive spaces.

I know each monitor might be a different size but not sure why that would be an issue that limits the feature. Everything needs to be able to resize anyway.

If they truly wanted to have system that allowed distraction free environment then there should be option to switch off one monitor from within mission control.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.