Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vea1083

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Hi,

A few weeks ago I was invited to the Mountain Lion Developer Preview. I was wondering the following. If I get invited to the Developer Preview... do I have to buy OS X Mountain Lion when it gets released?

Many thanks for your assistance...

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Invited? I was under the impression that it was available to anyone who was a registered Mac developer, and wasn't by invite. I'd be suspect of any such invitation.

In case I'm wrong about that part, though, I can answer the second part based on previous trends. In the past, developers have had access to the seeded versions up to and including the final shipping version, but technically they were still expected to purchase the final version, and Software Update would not update that version to the point updates that were released later (i.e. 10.8.1).

In short: yes, you will have to purchase the final shipping version, assuming it's not distributed for free as some have speculated.

jW

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
In the past we have been seeded with Gold Master versions that have the same build number and DO update. If you are a developer and have access through the developer portal, a GM will likely become available.

As mal said, you are (I think) still expected to pay for a retail copy, though technically you aren't forced to.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Invited? I was under the impression that it was available to anyone who was a registered Mac developer, and wasn't by invite. I'd be suspect of any such invitation.

Apple invites many regular users, especially who reported bugs or experienced some sort of situations where they might not get a fix for their specific bugs until they get a new software update.

It's called AppleSeed, you can find out more here: https://appleseed.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/SeedPortal

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Cool, hadn't heard of that.

OP, I think the last part of my post still applies, though. Hopefully it answers your question.

jW

vea1083

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Update: Decided to Participate in the Developer Preview...

Thank you guys for all the responses. I thought I could give you an update on this. I decided to install Mac OS X 10.8 and I have accepted the invitation to the preview. Right now I am waiting to get the redemption code.

Now one question...

How can I create a multiple partition set up in my MacBook Pro. I am currently planning to keep my Snow Leopard partition since it is the most stable release of OS X out there and also keep my BootCamp partition (I have some Windows-Only software that is critical to my field of study) with Windows 7 SP1. This means that I would need 3 partitions, one for SL, Windows, and ML.

Can someone tell me if this can be accomplished?

Many thanks for your assistance

In case I'm wrong about that part, though, I can answer the second part based on previous trends. In the past, developers have had access to the seeded versions up to and including the final shipping version, but technically they were still expected to purchase the final version, and Software Update would not update that version to the point updates that were released later (i.e. 10.8.1).

In short: yes, you will have to purchase the final shipping version, assuming it's not distributed for free as some have speculated.

jW

In the past we have been seeded with Gold Master versions that have the same build number and DO update. If you are a developer and have access through the developer portal, a GM will likely become available.

As mal said, you are (I think) still expected to pay for a retail copy, though technically you aren't forced to.

I got invited too. Not sure why but not complaining! :D

Apple invites many regular users, especially who reported bugs or experienced some sort of situations where they might not get a fix for their specific bugs until they get a new software update.

It's called AppleSeed, you can find out more here: https://appleseed.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/SeedPortal

Cool, hadn't heard of that.

OP, I think the last part of my post still applies, though. Hopefully it answers your question.

jW

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I'm already a paid ADC member, have been for years. I received an open invitation from Apple to join to my iCloud account (my .Mac account is my ADC ID). Odd as they're both linked.

I asked Apple if I could give my invitation to someone who would like to join but can't fork over the $99/annual fee. I have yet to read back from them. If they give the green light, I'll post and if anyone would like let me know. :)

db1408

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2011
Only issue I had, which isn't really an issue per say, is that when Lion GM was released and installed, you were not able to physically purchase through the associated apple ID in the App store if it was running on that partition. I believe it said 'installed' or lacked a purchase option. This may be different in this release.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
How can I create a multiple partition set up in my MacBook Pro. I am currently planning to keep my Snow Leopard partition since it is the most stable release of OS X out there and also keep my BootCamp partition (I have some Windows-Only software that is critical to my field of study) with Windows 7 SP1. This means that I would need 3 partitions, one for SL, Windows, and ML.

IMHO, the best way to handle beta OSes is to install them on an external drive. That minimizes any damage to your current, productive setup.

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
Thank you guys for all the responses. I thought I could give you an update on this. I decided to install Mac OS X 10.8 and I have accepted the invitation to the preview. Right now I am waiting to get the redemption code.

Now one question...

Of course your can, just open Disk utility and create a third partition

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.