Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShrubbySoup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
UK
Hi what's the best ultra book/slim laptop for under £1500?
Thanks connor

ShrubbySoup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
UK
Maybe you should start with why a Macbook Air (or used Macbook Air) won't work for you.

Ahh sorry, basically I like the MBA design but if the new one hasn't come ut in a week or so then I will probably get a ultrabook. I don't want to get a MBA now if a new one comes ut soon basically and would like to see my alternatives to see weather I can get more ram/storage/processor for the money.

MXSkier62

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2006
Ahh sorry, basically I like the MBA design but if the new one hasn't come ut in a week or so then I will probably get a ultrabook. I don't want to get a MBA now if a new one comes ut soon basically and would like to see my alternatives to see weather I can get more ram/storage/processor for the money.

Well, first off, a Macbook Air is technically an ultrabook (and the majority of ultrabooks being marketed today are not, based on Intel's specification of what defines an ultrabook).

And secondly, the ultrabooks being released currently have very similar specs as does the Macbook Air since no Ivy Bridge processors are out for laptops (especially the ULV type needed in machines of this size). Perhaps a few more ports in some of the ultrabooks, but since you're likely using it to move, ports are not as big an issue as with a desktop replacement machine.

None of the ultrabooks by other companies (such as Acer) have specs that are too much better than the Macbook Air, but the ratings for the Macbook Air are better than all of the others.

Check out CNet.com for reviews. They pick the Macbook Air as the best slim/ultrabook laptop. Everything else is just a copy.

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
It's very unlikely any new ultrabooks will come out in the next few weeks considering Intel hasn't released the Ivy Bridge ULV chips.

Virgule82

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
If you're looking for alternatives to MBA I would say the Asus Zenbooks and Samsung 9-series are both excellent ultrabooks.

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
The Dell XPS series is a decent machine and generally gets good reviews. However I don't see why don't want a MBA, if it suits your needs and does what you need why does it matter if a rumored refresh is coming? Your machine isn't going to be obsolete just because there is a refresh. Also the performance difference between sandy bridge and ivy bridge is going to be pretty marginal, its not going to be like going from a Core 2 Duo to a core i series. Again I say if the current machines meet your needs get one, unlike windows ultrabooks, the MBA will work and continue to work problem free. There are many imitations but only one is the real deal.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
You won't see any "new" ultrabooks before June/July given that many manufacturers (including Apple) are waiting for the release of the Intel Ivy Bridge ULV chips which aren't released yet. It would be better to wait until then to consider the options since we don't have much details regarding upcoming ultrabooks yet.

As for the current options with Sandy Bridge, I think the best ultrabooks are the Asus Zenbook followed by the Samsung Series 9, but nothing beats the current MacBook Air.

The Zenbook is slightly cheaper and has similar specs and form factor as a MacBook Air, but lacks a backlit keyboard, has worse viewing angles, and its trackpad (and Windows drivers for it) isn't nearly as good as the MacBook Air's.

The Series 9 is slightly more expensive than a MacBook Air, does have a backlit keyboard, but its battery life isn't as good, it has a lower screen resolution, doesn't have a SD card slot (only micro-SD), and it's a bit bulkier given that it has about the same maximum thickness as a MBA but doesn't have its taper. Again, its trackpad also doesn't match the MBA's.

It's also worth nothing that both will obviously won't have a resale value as high as a MacBook Air, won't get you a student discount or a 100$ gift card this summer, and don't have any way to output to a resolution higher than 1920x1080 since they use HDMI output.

In other words, you'd be better off waiting a couple of weeks if you want to find a better value than the current MacBook Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.