Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reg88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Hi,

I'm a PC user trying to go over to my first mac. I've already got 2 x Dell U2211h's that I'm going to keep (so that why a mini and no iMac).

I plan to use the machine to run OS X but to use Parallels or VMWare for light CS5.5 (DW, Photoshop and Fireworks with files less than 100MB) and Office for Windows 2010. I do not plan to play any games on this machine.

Would it be best go with the QC i7 server and bump it to 16GB, or would it be better to buy the base model DC i5 and bump it to 16GB -- is running VMs more processor dependent or RAM dependent???

My goal is to really use this machine as a test drive. If I find that I'm happy with it I will eventually go native OS X on my CS5.5 and Office over time. But in the beginning I want to keep my native PC applications so in a worst case scenario, I'd simply use the mini as a full-time windows box.

I like that the qc i7 already has 2x500 HDD, but I don't think that's really worth the $250 price bump.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
David

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
RAM more important, I'd say. But the processors could be used by the apps you use, certainly CS. And the models can have the same amount of RAM, so.... how much do you think you would use the additional cores?

I would say the HDD space is irrelevant. Mini isn't big enough to have much. If you store anything of size, you'll eventually end up using external, anyway. Or if you don't need much, nbd.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Sounds good. Your VMs appreciate the extra cores and threads. The Intel 3000 is about the same as a 320M.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.