PDA

View Full Version : Problems with hard drive on reconditioned G5

Bryanl1
May 6, 2012, 05:21 AM
I have recently bought a reconditioned G5.

I have installed a few program's on it and now my hard drive icon on the desktop is what looks like 4 dollar signs?

Also when I click get info on my hard drive there is no number next to capacity or available and says used:zero kb, but the are defiantly program's installed on it?!

In disk utility it says here is 132GB free?

Please help.......

California
May 6, 2012, 11:13 AM
I have recently bought a reconditioned G5.

I have installed a few program's on it and now my hard drive icon on the desktop is what looks like 4 dollar signs?

Also when I click get info on my hard drive there is no number next to capacity or available and says used:zero kb, but the are defiantly program's installed on it?!

In disk utility it says here is 132GB free?

Please help.......

Is this the original hard drive to the machine? This is a powermac G5, correct? There should be a date code on it somewhere, or if it is an original hard drive, it would have an Apple icon on the face of it.

Whenever I buy even a slightly used Mac, and I do this very often, the first thing I do is put a brand new hard drive in it.

Also, for some odd reason, when hard drives fail on Powermac G5s, they give off very strange symptoms. Be good to yourself and just buy a bigger faster better and brand new hard drive. Tell the seller you may need some discs to re install whatever OS you are using, too. It's not right to sell a "refurbished" G5 with an ancient hard drive, which is what i think happened to you.