Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
So, I have a dual 1.8 GHz G5 tower *and* a 4,1 Macbook with maxed out RAM and an SSD as main computers, time divided equally between them, and I *finally* have enough cash to get an OWC Electra SSD, but "not sure if want* an SSD, I'd be using it to replace a 1TB 7,200rpm drive, and eventually, ending up with a 240GB SSD and a 2TB Caviar Green HD. Yeah.

Macbook will *never* be a main due to limited storage capacity, and the G5 is a beast of a computer, can handle anything I throw at it, it's just that I use it so often as an iTunes/Internet/video editing machine that I think having it run an SSD would be a good performance advantage over standard HDD.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
SATA III is really a hit and miss on the powermac. Most often it will not be recognized. On a SATA III that would be a two revision jump in terms of bus compatibility.

AtmChm

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
WI
Not quite sure, will let you know, but III or II, whatever OWC's Electra 3G's are worth (assuming SATA II and beyond, therefore good for me :))
You definitely want the OWC 3G. The 6G will not work. I have purchased and tried both recently. My G5s recognized the 3G, no issues. But the 6G was not recognized. They are the same price on OWC for the same size drive, so there is no difference in $$$.

And yes, I noticed about a 25% increase in xbench overall score as compared to a 7200 RPM HDD. The disk scores were a factor of 2 to 3 higher with the SSD. The G5 will boot faster and "feel" faster with the SSD vs. a 7200 RPM HDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.