Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

altuixde

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
With Lion, is it possible to use an external display with a MacBook, leaving the clamshell open, and having nothing on the MacBook's display? It's possible to do this in Snow Leopard by waking up my MacBook with the clamshell closed (with an external display connected) and then opening the clamshell. However, in Lion, opening the clamshell when the MacBook is awake activates the MacBook's display. Is there another way to turn off the MacBook's display? I'd like to know because I need to leave the clamshell open in order to get reliable Wi-Fi reception in my room, and I don't want to waste VRAM on the MacBook's display.

Edit: This question has been resolved. Thanks phyrexia. I'll try it out later.

Last edited:

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
If that were the case we might as well get rid of the macrumor forums and be expected to always do a google search. How is it relivent if the link you provided is not even located on macrumors?

Exactly, I see that reply a lot and think the same as you just said ;)

I was looking for an anwer to this and would have just used the brightness buttons to turn it right down as the lowest setting effectively turns the monitor off

Edit, it says "To go back to pre-Lion behaviour enter the following command in Terminal:" might be a silly question but is this JUST referring to the monitor issue?

Last edited:

phyrexia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
You should try to think for yourself and solve your own problems. Did you attempt to find the answer to your question in any way? Did you exhaust any other options?

For the record, searching this Lion forum for "turn display off" returns https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1228130/ in the first page of results. No googling required. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.