Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joboe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2012
Hi all,

I recently bought a second hand 2009 white MacBook and I spilled some water on the keyboard. I turned it off, wiped it with a towel, and had it upside down for a day, but when I turn it on, it's just a grey screen and eventually the folder icon with a ?

I'm going to keep trying to dry it off, but I've run out of ideas. Does anyone have any tips?

I know that water damage isn't covered by apple care, but I was wondering whether anyone could give me an estimate of how much it'll cost to repair? Bearing in mind it's 3 years old now and I'm in the UK. Do they do any kind of trade-in deals?

Thanks! If anyone could help I'd be very grateful :)

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
You could try putting it in a bag of rice to draw out any residual moisture. The flat rate repair for a logic board is generally $700 depending on how bad the damage is, it could be much more. I would try the rice for a day or two then see what happens, if it still doesn't work then a trip to the genius bar to get an estimate although you maybe looking at the need to buy a new machine.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I'd take it in and see if depot repair is offered. It takes way more than a day for electronics to dry out fully. While I've seen some perform moderately better after drying for a longer period of time, it still typically leads to eventual failure. You don't even have to mention the water damage. It's not under warranty, and it will cost money to repair, but I'd just take it in and see what quote they give.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.