PDA

View Full Version : ibook g3 500mhz dual usb

waloshin
May 6, 2012, 11:37 PM
Is the card in the ibook g3 only wep? Or can the wifi card run wpa?
I am in the processes of installing ubuntu and was curious if wpa is suppirted by the wifi card.

Thaks.

imaketouchtheme
May 6, 2012, 11:39 PM
Of course?

92WardSenatorFE
May 7, 2012, 08:40 AM
I don't know about Ubuntu but running Mac OS it can only connect to WPA networks if you are using 10.3 or higher, i think. I don't think it supports WPA2 networks.

ftaok
May 7, 2012, 10:11 AM
I'm pretty sure that the original Airport card can only support WEP. I think the issue is that WPA/WPA2 require at least 11g. The original Airport was 11b.

I run a dual-USB G3 iBook on OS X 10.4 and I cannot connect onto a WPA/WPA2 network. I'd have to knock my network down to WEP for it to work wirelessly. So I just use Ethnernet on it.

Not sure if Unbutu can get that card up to WPA. At the very least, couldn't you use a USB wifi adapter? Of course, most of those require USB2.0. Alternatively, are there any 11g/WPA ethernet bridges?

ft

666sheep
May 7, 2012, 12:19 PM
Original AP card does WPA but not the WPA2 in Mac OS 10.3 and higher.
My Clamshell works perfectly with AP Express based WPA/WPA2 Personal encrypted network on 10.4.11.

crewkid89
May 7, 2012, 04:03 PM
I feel like this has come up a lot lately. Is wpa a software limitation or a hardware limitation? In other words will upgrading the operating system fix he issue, or does this all depend on the circumstances. I was under the impression that the original airport card did not support wpa but clearly this is not the case.

Intell
May 7, 2012, 04:07 PM
I feel like this has come up a lot lately. Is wpa a software limitation or a hardware limitation? In other words will upgrading the operating system fix he issue, or does this all depend on the circumstances. I was under the impression that the original airport card did not support wpa but clearly this is not the case.

It's a combination of both. In most cards, it's a hardware limitation because the device's chips cannot decrypt the data fast enough. For the Airport B card it is software in pre-10.3.9 operating systems and it needs a firmware upgrade to be able to access WPA networks. The firmware upgrade is preformed automatically when booting up a Mac with 10.3.9 and an old firmware Airport card installed.