PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone "up"graded to the horrible new eBay app?

mcdj
May 7, 2012, 01:24 AM
What a piece of crap. Bloated, cartoonish. Previously simple, fast navigation has been replaced with Android style candy buttons and missing functionality, with a dash of sluggish response for good measure.

All sorting feature buttons have been relegated to the "Refine" menu. Because of this "cleanup" of the tool bar, it now takes twice as many taps to do the same things as the previous version.

There are thumbnail photos arranged in cutesy little stacks. Why? If you scroll past the item you're looking for in the lame little stack of pics, you can't scroll back...you must scroll through all of them again.

A big honking non-self-collapsing sidebar keeps getting in the way of browsing. It makes the whole app feel crowded and lopsided.

Search for an item. Get 1000 results. Scroll down thru 500 results. Tap an item. Go back to the results. Where does it take you? All the way back to the first result. Good job ebay.

You can't tell from the color of the text whether an item has any bids. (used to be green). Package tracking is MIA. International payments are hosed. Great for sellers.

If you are more than a casual ebay user on the iPad and have not "upgraded", I seriously urge you to backup your current copy of the app. You will want it back. Better yet, don't upgrade at all until they fix this mess.

And don't be swayed by the positive reviews on the app store. These are people who have CLEARLY never used the app in any remotely advanced way prior to the upgrade. They're merely responding to shiny buttons and useless animations.

calb
May 7, 2012, 06:01 AM
FWIW I actually find it much faster and less bloated than before (on iPad 2 and original iPad).

tjcampbell
May 7, 2012, 08:52 AM
Yeah, I like it.

richimages
Jun 12, 2012, 03:05 PM
I wish I had a very old ebay app ... they had something where you could see a histogram where auction counts populated between set lower and upper price limits for a particular search. This function was not available on the regular site. It was a gold mine for finding those overlooked post severely under-priced just because everyone else was looking at realistic price searches.

They quickly removed that tool. It was invaluable. Anyone refused all the upgrades and still have that app?

Badrottie
Jun 13, 2012, 12:07 AM
new ebay app is alright for me.

bobright
Jun 15, 2012, 12:02 AM
I like it.