Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GriffinW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2012
Last night my cat walked across the keyboard of my macbook and the whole thing shut down. It was on the charger at the time and working fine. Now the charger light doesn't illuminate and it won't turn on or show any signs of life.

I have 2 years of applecare, but if you guys have any suggestions I would love to spare myself a trip to the mall.

Thanks,

Griffin

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
AppleCare/Apple warranty does not cover accidental damage so probably no point in contacting Apple.......

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
Sell cat and use the profit to purchase a new mac?

lol on a serious note, just call or bring it into the store to see if they can trouble shoot the problem.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Is this your cat?
fat-cat-5.jpg

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Last night my cat walked across the keyboard of my macbook and the whole thing shut down. It was on the charger at the time and working fine. Now the charger light doesn't illuminate and it won't turn on or show any signs of life.

I have 2 years of applecare, but if you guys have any suggestions I would love to spare myself a trip to the mall.

Thanks,

Griffin

I believe this is a known issue at Apple. Apparently the cat hair fries the circuits or something.

mykweb

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2011
Edinburgh
wow first time I have heard of this. My cat who is 4KGs jumps onto my late 08 macbook keyboard on a regular basis. I usually end up with the odd application opening up.

One day I went to make a cup of tea and came back to find my cat had opened Mac Mail and had composed and email to my partner. I think he was wanting some cat treats. lol

Mike

Major.Robto

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
wow first time I have heard of this. My cat who is 4KGs jumps onto my late 08 macbook keyboard on a regular basis. I usually end up with the odd application opening up.

One day I went to make a cup of tea and came back to find my cat had opened Mac Mail and had composed and email to my partner. I think he was wanting some cat treats. lol

Mike

Wow Funny,

When my cat was a kitten he jumped on my old pc laptop and some how formated my usb drive. I was mad but it was funny, any ways I had a backup of the stupid stick.

Well its kind of my fault the format window was open.

also some times my cat now that he has grown up jumps on my desk to give me a hello, He likes to tap my screen where ever I point the mouse.

Also for OP, Bring the computer in, Best bet, Sounds like something may be just not be conecting because of the cat hair in on the keyboard system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.