Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
California
Well i finally made the update to lion, and i must say that I'm not too happy with this change. Who knows, maybe i may adjust to it, but there are just some features that make it a little more inconvenient. I miss spaces and not really feeling the new central command or what it is called. The only reason why i bothered to update was because to be able to update to mountain lion when it releases this summer.

Anyone else feel the same way? Not really ragging on anyone updating their macs to Lion, just want some insight as to what others think.

yanksrock100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2010
San Diego
I actually like Lion. At first, I didnt like Launchpad and Mission Control (Replacing Expose) but then after I used them alot, i Liked them alot more. Launchpad is a great way to organize apps for quick use. Not sure if you want this, but keeping it up makes it feel like a big ipad (which I like, the iPad has a nice homescreen). Also, I have grown to like Mission Control. When you have, 4 word documents open, 2 browser windows, mail, and iTunes, its nice to have all of them grouped by Application instead of a random order.

Overall, I liked Lion alot on my macbook! If its not running as smooth as you want, consider upgrading the ram ;)

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
California
I actually like Lion. At first, I didnt like Launchpad and Mission Control (Replacing Expose) but then after I used them alot, i Liked them alot more. Launchpad is a great way to organize apps for quick use. Not sure if you want this, but keeping it up makes it feel like a big ipad (which I like, the iPad has a nice homescreen). Also, I have grown to like Mission Control. When you have, 4 word documents open, 2 browser windows, mail, and iTunes, its nice to have all of them grouped by Application instead of a random order.

Overall, I liked Lion alot on my macbook! If its not running as smooth as you want, consider upgrading the ram ;)

Thanks for the reply, I guess its all about different preferences. Can't force myself to like something that i don't like in the first place lol. And i already have my Macbook pretty much maxed out in terms of specs if you looked at my sig :D

cshel24

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2012
Yea, I was pretty unimpressed too. I used it for a few months, but my Mac ran poorly. I went back to snow leopard. Worst thing I guess is I am out $30.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
You'll get used to it, I have. First the good news - you've got 8GB RAM. Lion is more clunky on 4GB than Snow Leopard.

Now there's more apps with Full Screen support it's a good enough replacement for the way in which I used spaces. You can setup traditional additional desktops it's just .. a bit different. I prefer flipping between full-screen apps in Lion.

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
California
Thanks for the replies guys, but the more i use it, the more displeased i am now :(

I don't know what it is, and I've been checkin the forums, but there seems to be no real way to solve the increased heat issue after the upgrade.

On snow leopard i would get idle temps of 27 degrees C and my fan right below 2000 rpm. But with lion, with my machine running idle its always around 50'C with the fan around 2000 rpm. It worries me quite a bit. I don't really know what is up with these temps :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.