PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 Buy or No Buy?

FlatlinerG
May 7, 2012, 06:33 PM
Hey everyone. So I was just checking out some local buy/sell/trade sites today and came across an old iMac G5 for $150. The only issue with it is that it seems to have some weird lines going down the screen. Now these don't look like your typical vertical lines but somewhat different.

I have attached a picture that they posted in the sale thread and was wondering if this is something that can easily be fixed software wise or if it is a definite hardware issue. I mean, for $150 I could pick this thing up, reinstall the OS, and have a halfway okay iMac for my office when needed.

What do you guys think?

Intell
May 7, 2012, 06:37 PM
I think that's the infamous iMac G5 video card failure.

FlatlinerG
May 7, 2012, 07:14 PM
I take that as a "don't buy". Any other thoughts?

Hrududu
May 7, 2012, 08:02 PM
I fixed one of those with a heat gun. Its doable, but for $150 you could get a working one. Unless its loaded with RAM and its a 20" iSight model, I would pass.

G51989
May 8, 2012, 06:14 AM
I would pass on iMac G5s 100%, every single Apple guy I know personally says to stay the hell away from them, one of the reasons I went with a G5 Tower rather than a iMacG5. I had the choice of two at the place I got my G5, couple of techs ( even tho its actually a PC repair shop that has a Dell contract lol ) said to stay away from the iMacG5s, they have to many issues be worth it.

Whargoul
May 8, 2012, 10:35 AM
iMac G5's are all trash.
Ugly, hot CPU, slow CPU, prone to GPU and PSU failure and have no benefits over a G5 PowerMac other than being smaller.
They aren't "collectable" or attractive like the G3 and G4 iMacs.