Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waynep

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
Hi,

I use google for gmail, contacts and calendar. I have these accounts syncing with Mail, iCal and Address Book on my Mac, iPad, iPod etc. It's been working great. I use iCloud for Mail (.me account, not gmail obviously), bookmarks (to get to iPad), Photo stream, Documents and Find my Mac.

I have Contacts and Cal turned off as far as iCloud goes. I use an Android phone, and not an iPhone. Don't want to switch. I like my Android phone.

I do use an iPad but sync with google . . .

Somehow, Cal and contacts got turned on. Don't know how, may an update. I noticed because I updated a Address Book entry on my Mac, and it did not propagate to gmail contacts.

So I turned iCloud Contacts and Cal off. Re-setup my google account with the Address Book again. All working now that way I want it to.

So now I had these contacts "stranded" in iCloud not syncing any anything. I wonder if I should delete them in case sometime in the future I want to turn it on again? Or leave them?

What's the best thing to do?

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Personally, I would keep them on iCloud.

Maybe taking it a step further... why not turn on contact syncing with iCloud? I realize you don't have an iPhone, but let's say something happened to your Google account and you lost your contacts?

You could use iCloud as a backup. Just turn on contact syncing for both iCloud and Google.

Just a thought anyway.

waynep

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
I read somewhere that it was not a good idea to sync to iCloud and Google at the same time . . . I'll go see if I can find that again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.