PDA

View Full Version : Safari PDF Reader vs PDF Expert

karohan
May 8, 2012, 12:42 AM
Why does the Safari PDF Reader allow momentum/inertial scrolling through pages, while other more expensive PDF readers like PDF expert force you to scroll through documents page by page (no momentum scrolling)? It just seems silly to me...

Tedddman
May 8, 2012, 01:41 AM
Most of the paid PDF readers do allow this though. iAnnotate probably offers the fastest vertical scrolling around.

If you want a free option for smooth vertical scrolling, PDFMate and Adobe Reader are pretty good.

wadjj
May 8, 2012, 03:36 AM
First, not sure about PDF Expert but a lot of apps do offer this option, the reason not to set it as default, I guess, is that those apps are designed to handle complex and large PDF files(otherwise most people don't have to buy them).
That is to say, it takes some time to render, and if drag vertically quick you have to wait for the app to render the page every now and then, therefore the most intuitive way feels bad.

On the other hand, the built-in pdf reader doesn't support reading annotation(it simply skips them) and doesn't deal with LARGE PDF files very well, which is not what it's meant to do.

jojoba
May 8, 2012, 07:14 AM
Yes, I don't know why PDF Expert doesn't have that option (it's otherwise a pretty good app), but iAnnotate is quite good for scrolling large documents.