PDA

View Full Version : Multi Monitor Support - video

james948
May 8, 2012, 05:21 AM
I made a quick movie about how I think Multi Monitor support *should* work in Mountain Lion and Lion for that matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDnyH_abV7E

Basically, the full screen apps are on a carousel.

RoelJuun
May 8, 2012, 07:34 AM
It seems I can't see your movie. Am interested though.

Blipp
May 8, 2012, 08:23 AM
It seems I can't see your movie. Am interested though.

Same. I too would like to see what you've come up with, the current implementation is a joke.

james948
May 8, 2012, 10:00 AM
Vimeo to the rescue. Now online.

Blipp
May 8, 2012, 10:29 AM

Thank you for the repost. I like it significantly better than the current waste of the second display but it would still be only half a solution. With Mission Control (now kind of bringing back Expose), multiple desktops, fullscreen apps, fullscreened multidisplay apps like FCPX, what we really need is more control over how our multiple displays cycle and interact with each other.

The solution needs to be scalable to even users with more than 2 displays. I realize they are rare but to ignore them entirely just seems silly. The solution needs to be customizable so that it can be integrated into different workflows. Most of all, though, the default behavior needs to "just work" and make sense. Your "carousel" solution seems to be the most obvious default behavior.

Apple, ever the perfectionists even when it goes against customer wishes at times, settled on gimping secondary displays by locking them into their linen pattern. I just don't get that decision at all or how you could justify it to a user. It feels like they couldn't figure out what to do with fullscreen apps on multidisplay setups and just said screw it.

Simplicated
May 8, 2012, 10:57 AM

The error was actually on your part. You copied and pasted the truncated YouTube link from the thread "Exposť is back in Mountain Lion!" which caused the link to be incorrect.

ADMProducer
May 8, 2012, 11:02 AM
The problem is, with full screen apps, you're going to want to treat each monitor as if it is a separate machine.

If I could suggest something, go with the same animation and method, but implement a gesture so you could switch apps on the monitor you want to use. For example to swipe monitor one, use the standard gesture but at the bottom of the trackpad, then to swipe monitor two, use the same gesture at the top of the trackpad.

james948
May 8, 2012, 11:39 AM
The error was actually on your part. You copied and pasted the truncated YouTube link from the thread "Exposť is back in Mountain Lion!" which caused the link to be incorrect.

Ah. Thanks! :)

----------

The problem is, with full screen apps, you're going to want to treat each monitor as if it is a separate machine.

If I could suggest something, go with the same animation and method, but implement a gesture so you could switch apps on the monitor you want to use. For example to swipe monitor one, use the standard gesture but at the bottom of the trackpad, then to swipe monitor two, use the same gesture at the top of the trackpad.

I thought you could arrange them. For instance; I know that when I have my mail on one monitor, i like for my calendar to be on another.

Ditto, Chrome and desktop etc.

Simplicated
May 8, 2012, 12:31 PM
Ah. Thanks! :)

I was wrong too, lol. I meant to say the "Full Screen Support In Mountain Lion" thread.

Anyway, I like your idea - makes for a much better metaphor indeed.

MrAppleseed
May 8, 2012, 01:29 PM
I like it, but I see one issue with the idea: how does this work with different screen resolutions?
I’m not a developer, so I’m not sure how big of an issue it is to have one full screen app running in two (or more) different resolutions. And for your solution: how easy would it be to change the resolution on the fly?

james948
May 8, 2012, 01:57 PM
I like it, but I see one issue with the idea: how does this work with different screen resolutions?
Iím not a developer, so Iím not sure how big of an issue it is to have one full screen app running in two (or more) different resolutions. And for your solution: how easy would it be to change the resolution on the fly?

Good call.
I suppose the same way iOS and OSX keep screencaps of the last state then switch to a live version when need be.

WSR
May 8, 2012, 08:28 PM
Good idea, but I would still want this to be an option.
As Mission Control has shown us, we don't all work the same way. Some like Mission Control, other, myself included, don't like it.

In this case, I do like having a 2 monitor desktop, though I could definitely see the uses of being able to assign different Spaces to each monitor especially on a laptop that is only occasionally attached to a 2nd monitor.

To me it would be better for it to work as follows:
Select Spaces and have it bring up the grid of Spaces like in SL, but in both monitors.
You then select the Space you want in the monitor you want to change.
(Sorry, I don't have a video for this.)

True this method would mean you would have to repeat the process for the other monitor, but it would be easier to change 1 monitor and leave the other alone. Also, depending on exactly what you are thinking, my method might be easier to get 2 non-consecutive Spaces showing at the same time.

As MrAppleseed pointed out, different screen resolutions as well as aspect ratios might cause a problem with either method and is probably why this hasn't been done.

MrAppleseed
May 9, 2012, 04:17 AM
As to the resolution and aspect ratio problem, how about this one:

They could separate Mission Control for the desktops (to show different desktops on each screen) and make the desktops themselves in Mission Control draggable to a different Monitor. Then you could choose the desktop just as WSR described. And as soon as you drop the space/full screen app on a different monitor, it changes its resolution in the background. Maybe add a little button in the upper left corner (just as the button to add a new space in the upper right one) to black out that screen if you wish to. Or something more elegant. It might not be the ultimate solution, but I guess itíd be thousand times better than right now.

Or am I missing a problem?