Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
I got a problem where as my MacBook Pro 17" 2011 model simply won't boot up CMS (BIOS Emulation) anymore, it's stuck with EFI boot only for some reason.

I've tried booting from both FAT32 and NTFS formatted Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8 CP installations and NTFS formatted USB-drivers won't even show while holding down "alt / option" during startup, and FAT32 formatted USB-drivers with Windows 7 and Windows 8 CP will only show up as EFI Boot and not "Windows" as they would if the BIOS emulation was kicking in.

Why won't my system do the BIOS emulation no more? If I pop these NTFS and FAT32 formatted USB-drivers into my MacBook Air 13" 2011 model it has no problem whatsoever starting up all the different Windows installation using BIOS emulation instead of UEFI. So something makes my MacBook Pro 17" 2011 model not trigger the emulation for some annoying reason.

Now the big question is, how do I get Windows installed with fully working graphics drivers and 3D acceleration etc.. UEFI install does not work and will always prompt me with "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. The EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.