Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
I had heard about Tizen a few times a while back but didn't give it a lot of thought at the time.

Now it seems to be making something of a splash today, likely timed with CTIA - Samsung are showing a phone running it. Of course, the Oracle/Google fight enters into the equation as well, plus the Googorola deal too.

I can't help but think that given a choice between Google's Android and an open-source project in Tizen, that manufacturers would choose Tizen.

I'd be pretty happy to see a truly open alternative to Android out there. I don't think it will match the hardware/software/ecosystem integration that Apple can and does offer, but I'm generally anti-Google at this point and would like to see them have some truly open-source competition...

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Android is already open source.
Only the Google apps require a license.

Tizen still has to rely on industry standard IP to function as an actual phone, so it's not any more free and open than Android is.

It might make it in to a few niche products, but I highly doubt it will gain the momentum with manufacturers.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Android has 51% of the smartphone market share (and rising.)

Nothing will be replacing it in the near future.
Of course, the Oracle/Google fight enters into the equation as well, plus the Googorola deal too.
Nothing substantial will come of the Google/Oracle suit, and Google only bought Motorola for the patents.

Last edited:

JKK photography

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2009
Android is already open source.
Only the Google apps require a license.

Tizen still has to rely on industry standard IP to function as an actual phone, so it's not any more free and open than Android is.

It might make it in to a few niche products, but I highly doubt it will gain the momentum with manufacturers.

Agreed. Also, let's not forget that while the Android ecosystem might not be the best, it'll have a good three-to-four year lead on this, and possibly more by the time it is actually shipping.

And, as we know from webOS and WP7, it seems more and more the platforms of the OS are the most important aspect anymore.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Have you seen Tizen? Awful. Looks like it came from 2004. It'll be about as noteworthy as Bada was.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Have to remember also google's influence. It's not changing anytime soon. Samsung does hardware but google has there hand in every service imaginable.

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
Have you seen Tizen? Awful. Looks like it came from 2004. It'll be about as noteworthy as Bada was.

You've seen the final version of the OS? I've been following Tizen but had no clue they displayed the final Version, UI and all. Can you please post the link so I can take a gander and make a final opinion as you have? TIA!

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
You've seen the final version of the OS? I've been following Tizen but had no clue they displayed the final Version, UI and all. Can you please post the link so I can take a gander and make a final opinion as you have? TIA!

As you can see, you won't get a link from him, he's talking out of hate and bitterness for Samsung. For him, if it's Samsung or not Apple, it's garbage. Can you imagine if we lived in a world where everyone thought this way? Truly sad indeed.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't see another platform gaining traction, RIM is going to have problems with BB10 and they have carrier support. Win8 is in a similar situation, where they're not gaining traction yet but are pushing hard at trying to get people to buy the phone. I don't think Tizen will get very far

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
A whole OS built around TouchWiz without any developer support? It might sell in low end phones but it'll never be a serious Android competitor.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
If Samsung take it serious and replace all Android with Tizen, adopt the Eco system there might be a chance.
They control the hardware and can heavy influence the software. But they would need to be consequent and consistent. It would bite some share from Android.

At least it would have a better chance compared to Ubuntu on phones (my guess)

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Android has 51% of the smartphone market share (and rising.)

Nothing will be replacing it in the near future.

Nothing substantial will come of the Google/Oracle suit, and Google only bought Motorola for the patents.

Sounds like Symbian and Blackberry just a few short years ago.

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
I think Tizen is Samsungs way of ensuring they aren't too dependent on Google, it's always a good thing to have options.

It has a long way to go to be as much of an ecosystem as Android has become.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Will Tizen take off? I haven't seen it, but Ubuntu phones are coming out (albeit a year from now), Windows 8 is being pushed hard by Microsoft and RIM is doing their best to reclaim some market share for Blackberry.

I seriously, seriously doubt it. Samsung's last foray into smartphone software was an abject failure (see: Samsung Instinct).

Not even Apple can keep up with the features that Google offers in Android... what hope does Samsung have? It is largely a non-issue at this point. Samsung is top dog only because of Android. If they weaken their Android offerings then Motorola, LG, HTC, Asus, or a number of other manufacturers will quickly pick up their slack.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Will Tizen take off? I haven't seen it, but Ubuntu phones are coming out (albeit a year from now), Windows 8 is being pushed hard by Microsoft and RIM is doing their best to reclaim some market share for Blackberry.

I seriously, seriously doubt it. Samsung's last foray into smartphone software was an abject failure (see: Samsung Instinct).

Not even Apple can keep up with the features that Google offers in Android... what hope does Samsung have? It is largely a non-issue at this point. Samsung is top dog only because of Android. If they weaken their Android offerings then Motorola, LG, HTC, Asus, or a number of other manufacturers will quickly pick up their slack.

You're assuming they will switch to solely making Tizen phones. They could continue making Android phones and make Tizen phones. HTC are doing that with Android and WP8. I don't know how well that's working for them but it's definitely a possibility. Maybe after a few years when Tizen is established and gained a foothold then they'll abandon Android. All speculation of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.